Official Williams Volume 2 news

Wapcaplet

Jul 18, 2012
And Hearst Communications is owned by Turner, is it not?
Nope - Hearst is an independent company. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearst_Communications

Anyways, within the last few years Lionsgate, Sony, and Universal have all had projects in the works for Popeye, so it’s certainly not a difficult license to go after.
I was thinking more along the lines of PSTE's lack of popularity rather than the licensing issue -- it's #212 on IPDB's rankings as I type this. I can imagine the wailing here if Zen released it before any of the other not-released-on-TPA tables you listed above (okay, maybe except for Gilligan's Island, but still...)

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
As someone who has played the original black rose many times, it NEVER had lightning flippers in the USA.

I suggest putting on the lightning flippers only in tournament difficulty. the game is easy, so if someone was going to use it in a papa tournament it probably would have lightning flippers on it.

the only games i've seen with lightning flippers in the usa ever are
a) fish tales, which shipped with them
b) BSD, which also shipped with them.
c) popeye also shipped with them.
d) once i saw a hurricane with them on it. but it was easier than ones without it. the center ramp was a joke to loop.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, we have to keep in mind that Zen is in Europe so the way machines are set up for them might not be how we in the states are familiar.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Black Rose seemed too easy on TPA with standard flippers, so it's interesting to see how lightning flippers on these play out. Granted, I played on a Party Zone with lightning flippers at ReplayFX, so I wouldn't be surprised if they used those on tournament mode for that game.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Zaphod77 said:
the only games i've seen with lightning flippers in the usa ever are
a) fish tales, which shipped with them
b)*BSD, which also shipped with them.
c) popeye also shipped with them.
d) once i saw a hurricane with them on it. but it was easier than ones without it. the center ramp was a joke to loop.

Hurricane shouldn't have lighting flippers. Doctor Who should.

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I also tend to believe that when it comes time for that first license, Zen is going to swing for the fences. They know the community wants a table yet to be done by FarSight, they know the first license is going to create a lot of buzz. I know they want to land Indiana Jones, and their relationship with Disney and LucasFilm should make that possible. Barring that, I suppose TAF or TZ would be high on their list but that'd still suffer from the 'been there, done that' aspect of customers. So here's the list (I think I got 'em all) of DMD licensed machines that weren't in TPA:

Congo (Paramount)
Dirty Harry (Warner Bros)
Flinstones (Warner Bros)
Johnny Mnemonic (Sony)
Gilligans Island (Warner Bros)
NBA Fastbreak
Popeye Saves The Earth (no idea who holds the rights, possibly Turner which might make it Warner Bros)
The Shadow (Universal)

So of those, I imagine The Shadow would make the largest splash. I personally would be happiest with NBA Fastbreak, especially if Zen went in and added updated rosters and brought the team total up to the current count. Yeah, nice fantasy I have there!

I wouldn't mind Corvette or Demolition Man.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
From a pure "best table" point of view, The Shadow makes sense for a license.

From a general public recognition point of view... eh not so much.

If they can get Indy, so much the better.

I'd really like Corvette though.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
How come this was never released for TPA? Was it purely down to license costs?
I assume. Licensing isn't just about the IP; its actor likenesses (there's a giant Alec Baldwin on the backglass), music, voiceovers, and who knows what else, that often need to be negotiated separately. The best insight we had into the process was with TAF.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
doh that's right i forgot about dr who. that one usually did have the lightning flippers on location.

the hurricane with lightning flippers was not standard, and actually made the game easier!

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
I assume. Licensing isn't just about the IP; its actor likenesses (there's a giant Alec Baldwin on the backglass), music, voiceovers, and who knows what else, that often need to be negotiated separately. The best insight we had into the process was with TAF.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Can you actually take voiceovers as licensed though!?, the quality is so low its hard to tell.

Heck id be happy if they just added a look alike to the backglass and re-recorded the lines and put a filter on so it sounded the same to the actual machine if it went getting the table or not!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Can you actually take voiceovers as licensed though!?, the quality is so low its hard to tell.

Heck id be happy if they just added a look alike to the backglass and re-recorded the lines and put a filter on so it sounded the same to the actual machine if it went getting the table or not!

Believe me, FarSight paid for Ah-nolds voice in T2. If it is a celebrity voice over, especially if it was recorded specifically for pinball (think ST:TNG or T2), there's a license fee. If it is a WMS voice artist, even a now famous one like Tina Fey in MM, no worries. A table like Road Show, where you have the song and her voice work, that might be an all in one package. Clearly it didn't cost much as FarSight paid without issue.

TAF is going to be interesting to see what Zen pulls off. They too had issues with Christopher Lloyd's representatives when doing BttF, be interesting to see if they'd be more amenable having seen what FarSight did to Fester.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
ss_6a98c7001b71349e66a413fd65ddcebbfeac5ba1.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c43984c7f10c6c470843de5bf5a57c79d13a675b.1920x1080.jpg

ss_551055797e92c87643a82816ba92b3f2763a8c4f.1920x1080.jpg

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
We got the new beta to test today, and I'm happy to report the ball in Black Rose is much brighter now.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
I guess its too late for them to change the saucer in AFM so the one in the centre of the table is the one that takes off and flies about?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Probably. They did change the uniform colors of the General to Army green and tan, looks way better in my opinion, fits the color scheme of the table. Floating walkie is fixed and animations all sync properly now too.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.