Fun Factor

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Given how many times I've mentioned pinball to one of my neighbours in the last 6 months who has been very helpful to me this year, they decided that they would give their daughter (who has a PS3 and non-gaming laptop) Williams Collection for PS3 as a Christmas present - other 3 PS3 games they got haven't even been tried yet. I had my new laptop and FX3 over there for a couple of hours on Christmas Day, and that was fun. Been there today and had a go on the Williams Collection (never played it before) - it doesn't look as good, or play as good, but the "fun factor" is still there. Also given me an insight why the goals in Pinball Arcade are arranged how they are.

Same with many of the tables in Pinball Arcade - fundamental potential is there and they are still fun, just a pity that they set off with their release a table once a month rather than release them when they are polished & ready strategy; and not update the physics at some point in the way Zen has done (let alone the extra animations, vastly better UI, and tournaments to take it to another level entirely).

Still, playing some tables for the first time its a fantastic way to see how fun they still are which may be overlooked/forgotten by everyone going to the "new"; while appreciating how much better Zen are tackling the WMS tables.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
You’re talking about Farsight’s William’s Collection from 2008? I bought it on release and dug the arcade feel of the menu, but the physics were so floaty that I couldn’t really get into it back then (Pro Pinball Timeshock and Visual Pinball were still my go-to before TPA). Cool to hear that the daughter is interested in pinball though. Good job on spreading the love.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The 'fun factor' is indeed there. If you never touched another digital pinball game after, you'd probably keep the smiles. I played and loved the ever loving crap out of Gran Turismo 2, but lordy when you play a modern racer and then try to go back, yeech. It's not that the old game is terrible, it's just all a matter of perspective. So that's awesome the neighbor's daughter is into it, it's a much larger world that she'll probably now start exploring. Look up where some real machines are near you and recommend to your neighbor that they take her there, really make that addiction stick!

And with Zen Williams soon to be coming to mobile (I'm playing the beta now), there'll be a whole other way for her to join in without new hardware needed.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.