When will the next Pinball Arcade table be released?

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
heres an interesting thought, semi off topic... allot of buzz is going around about ps5 being completely backwards compatible and word is all your digital purchases from the 4 will all be accessible and playable on the 5... now here's what im wondering, all the wiliams/bally farsight tables will they transfer over or is there some type of legal crap that would prevent that sort of a thing? they might start treating consoles like steam on pc as it looks like the new goal for playstation and xbox is to be 100% backwards compatible. i think this could float in fact i think they have some type of legal writing for game developers in the contracts that they can put new versions of systems out and the games will transfer to them, like how they released the pro and x for example.

The new playstation (which is not named PS5) will be 8k and have SSD storage instead of the current HD and have the 3rd gen AMD CPU and new GPU (supporting ray tracing) that is identical in architecture to the current model. The new console should be approached like upgraded components inside your PC.

However, Sony wants to push streaming and "cut in line" access for upcoming games (and movies/TV) and what I have seen is they plan on releasing a new premium tier of PSN account.

Regarding your question, since both Sony and Microsoft have planned on their console ecosystems to remain intact (like Steam) over the long haul in regards to digital content "ownership," all previously purchased content should be accessible as long as you are using the same PSN or LIVE or Steam account credentials, you should be able to play your games.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
A huge update to Ghostbusters has been released from Stern. Would be fantastic if Farsight would support this and update the TPA version as well. But I'm going to assume that isn't going to happen. Look like some great changes.

Tweaked modes and new modes, including Are You a God wizard mode
The lower skill shot now remains lit if you get the upper skill shot
Easier to start modes and finish modes
Easier to get to Storage Facility Multiball
Loopin’ Supers and PKE are now “isolated” – they won’t start if you’re in a mode
Left captive ball area rules revamped
New callouts, new animations, new music, lots of polish
Much much more!

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I'm sure there are many more bowlers than pinheads, but that is of little comfort to the poor souls that frequent these pages. :(

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
I'm sure there are many more bowlers than pinheads, but that is of little comfort to the poor souls that frequent these pages. :(

Does Farsight have a Turkey on their hands?

I know many (pro and league) bowlers, but I have never met one that ever wanted to play a video game rendition. While the Wii Bowling game was entertaining in a group/party setting, I have to ask myself if there is actually any market for a mouse/controller bowling game. The mobile bowling apps aren't very popular (compared to other "casual sports") and the mobile format and control scheme seems to be much better suited to the game play.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Numerous bowling games have been put out each gen for quite some time now, so presumably there is a market for them.

I'm guessing it's also easier to work on than constantly having to strip apart pinball machines.

And I'm guessing PBA and Brunswick paid FarSight to make this for them like Stern paid for SPA. So if the money was good enough, I'm sure they don't even care if no one plays it.

Last edited:

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019

Possibly, but there are plenty of bowling games already and they are all basically the same. Meanwhile there are plenty of pinball machines left undone. Not to mention the new ones that could be made. There’s just more variety with pinball than bowling. Even the score in bowling is the same. Pinball machines are all different in scoring. And some machines can go up almost infinitely, not get capped out at 300. I mean I like bowling and all, but BORING! :)

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I mean I like bowling and all, but BORING!*:)

Animaniacs_game_for_PS1.jpg

Clearly someone has never experienced the pinnacle of bowling vidya perfection.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
I know many (pro and league) bowlers, but I have never met one that ever wanted to play a video game rendition. While the Wii Bowling game (...).

I played bowling back in the early 80s on the Atari VCS and by today's standards, it's "Pong meets Breakout with a sprinkling of Bowling". Point is that some people just play videogame bowling casually just like they'd play some hunting, fishing or racing game.

https://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=43

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
I played bowling back in the early 80s on the Atari VCS and by today's standards, it's "Pong meets Breakout with a sprinkling of Bowling". Point is that some people just play videogame bowling casually just like they'd play some hunting, fishing or racing game.

https://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=43

Which was the point of my bringing up that mobile may be a better suited format for a game that doesn't utilize a controller that has a 'realistic' analog interface and tactile interaction. Mobile is fantastic for casual. But once you get into 'simulation' which is where this Bowling game is attempting to position itself, and since you mention Hunting (rumble, force and various light gun controllers), Fishing (rumble, force and various controllers with reels and gyro capability), and Racing (which has myriad wheel, pedal and cockpit controllers and setups)... I'll stand by my initial position that this game may be targeting a market that doesn't exist.

And to add since we are here in a pinball forum. Many of us that prefer to play video pinball beyond casually, have purchased or built full-size interfaces that provide as near to the actual real physical experience as possible, for those times when casual suffices, there is the Zen mobile app.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.