Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Click here to go to the first FarSight post in this thread.   Thread: When will the next Pinball Arcade table be released?

My Devices
    Vita PS3 PS4 Switch PC
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good list, but they already know what's left. Those tables have been pointed out to them countless times here and on Facebook, and FarSight is fully aware of IPDB and Pinside. They just don't want to make them. Perhaps they've decided that what's left won't give a worthwhile return on investment. Maybe they somehow think that every one of those tables is actually lamer than Premier El Dorado, Bone Busters and Goin' Nuts. Who knows.

All we can do is sit back and wait to see what the new Stern table will be. That's pretty much now the answer to the question this thread poses.

My Devices
    PS3, PS4, PC, iOS, Switch
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So much for “preserving pinball history for future generations”. Now it’s DMD or it didn’t happen.

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there anyway to get a ballpark estimate of how much one of those older tables would cost to make? No. of man hours being the most important number. Triple that, divide by likely cost of table and that would need to be a number that they would be likely to sell; any that don't will have been non-starters (which could even be all of them).

If they've worked out that sales will be <15% of one of the more recent licensed tables currently in Stern packs 1 & 2 could be a reason none have appeared. Also telling that they never did sort out the repackaging problem for anyone who had all the season packs.

My Devices
    ps4 pro,xbox1x,pc
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TPA thanks for the 100 tables . as it looks like you are doing jack s... about any more tables , goodnight Irene .

My Devices
    PS3, PS4 Pro, Vita
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems they aren't going to do anything about the remaining bugs in the PS4 version either. sigh.....

My Devices
    Vita PS3 PS4 Switch PC
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayder View Post
    Seems they aren't going to do anything about the remaining bugs in the PS4 version either. sigh.....
    I mean, they didn't about the PS3/V ones, so it shouldn't be surprising.

My Devices
    Nintendo Switch, Steam, PSVita, PS3, Wii U, 3DS, Wii.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn't realised it was pretty much accepted here that FarSight are done with THE PINBALL ARCADE? I'm buying up packs that are available on Switch and sincerely hope we haven't heard the last of FarSight or this game. Also what happens to STERN PINBALL now? That selection of tables is fantastic, I have the physical release and again would like to see more support and further tables added. Is this all highly unlikely now then? Are FarSights pinball games, at least as far as the Switch is concerned, done and dusted now?

Is anyone on these boards from FarSight? Perhaps I've not looked in the right places but it just seems to be a deafening silence for many months now? What are FarSight working on?
    Let's play pinball together:
    Platform of choice - Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 3127 6508 1219
    Also on - Steam: LroyST / PSN: Count-Fosco / 3DS: 0361 9527 6404

My Devices
    Ipad Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are certainly not as open as other companies. Their lack of social media presence is pretty astounding.

I have two other favorite game apps and they both keep active forums on Reddit and provide updates regularly.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

My Devices
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lroy View Post
    I hadn't realised it was pretty much accepted here that FarSight are done with THE PINBALL ARCADE? I'm buying up packs that are available on Switch and sincerely hope we haven't heard the last of FarSight or this game. Also what happens to STERN PINBALL now? That selection of tables is fantastic, I have the physical release and again would like to see more support and further tables added. Is this all highly unlikely now then? Are FarSights pinball games, at least as far as the Switch is concerned, done and dusted now?

Is anyone on these boards from FarSight? Perhaps I've not looked in the right places but it just seems to be a deafening silence for many months now? What are FarSight working on?
    Stern Pinball Arcade was a contract job for FarSight, which probably explains why they not only have never updated the Steam UI to match the much better Switch version, but also why Big Buck Hunter and Whoa Nellie weren't put into it but instead dropped into TPA. Pinball Arcade is the one and only game that was self produced by FarSight. It is theirs to do as much or as little as they want without upsetting a client.

Everyone put TPA on death watch as soon as news broke of losing the Williams license a year ago, and FarSight did little to dispel those impressions other than to say they weren't done with pinball. Since then, there's been the work they did for Arcooda (a project started at least a year prior), Stern VR which was a contract job for Oculus, and the release of BBH/WN on TPA with very little fanfare. It's been 7 months since any release with only mention of a mystery table, and who even knows when that might see light of day. After 6 years of steady releases, the silence is deafening.

Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
    They are certainly not as open as other companies. Their lack of social media presence is pretty astounding.

I have two other favorite game apps and they both keep active forums on Reddit and provide updates regularly.

This wasn't always the case. They were on this forum a lot, communicating with us. That sort of bit them in the butt eventually though, as people were holding them to promises and comments that were made in a less than official capacity. The Xbox 360 update mess is a prime example of stringing along customers with promises of "we're working on it" and "soon", only to later essentially abandon it. They don't have a PR person, and they no longer have a dedicated community manager like they did to start. They are working on other projects that have nothing to do with pinball, so there is no reason for them to post non-news just to keep us interested.
    I'm just sayin'

official BlahCade Pinball Podcast website blahcadepinball.com/episodes

subscribe to BlahCade Pinball Podcast on YouTube

buy BlahCade t-shirt at RedBubble.com

play with me on PSN, iOS, and Steam: shutyertrap

follow me on Twitter: @shutyertraps or @BlahCade

My Devices
    Ipad Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only glimmer of hope I've had is that tournaments returned after an extended absence. They seem to have them regularly, but haven't worked that to their advantage by having long term leaderboards or anything.

Their failure to think outside the box in so many areas has doomed them.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    They had turned tournaments over to Major League Pinball (or something like that) a while ago, so maybe that fell apart and that's why the long gap? Or maybe someone realized how easy it is to set up something after seeing what Zen has allowed users to do?

FarSight's handling of leaderboards in general has never been ideal. Too prone to fake scores, scores from other tables populating each other's boards, how impersonal the boards feel. I stopped playing the tournaments because it was such a slog to do, and with no rotation of rules or attempt limits, it just felt exceedingly repetitive.
    I'm just sayin'

My Devices
    Android and Steam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lroy View Post

Only thing most people have heard from Farsight is from their Twitch streams and that they are working on tables, and that is plural according to Mike Lindsley, and the aforementioned unreleased/unannounced table that most fans think will be Elvira 3 but that is only a rumor.

My Devices
    PS4 (TPA, PFX3); Switch (Zaccaria)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blkthorne View Post
    Only thing most people have heard from Farsight is from their Twitch streams and that they are working on tables, and that is plural according to Mike Lindsley, and the aforementioned unreleased/unannounced table that most fans think will be Elvira 3 but that is only a rumor.
    Another thing that was mentioned was that they want to do bundle releases going forward. It wouldn't surprise me if they just do 2 bundle releases a year.

My Devices
    Xbox 360, Samsung s8, gear VR, PC, OUYA, PS4 Pro
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was really holding in there thinking something would happen but now that zen is teasing stern i think were officially screwed. Like its done. Over. Doubt they can pull a come back off with just old Gotleibs. They should have digitized the entire old school stern 70's 80's set but they didnt and wont. jay olbernolte has failed us.

My Devices
    iPad Air 2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I was really holding in there thinking something would happen but now that zen is teasing stern i think were officially screwed. Like its done. Over. Doubt they can pull a come back off with just old Gotleibs. They should have digitized the entire old school stern 70's 80's set but they didnt and wont. jay olbernolte has failed us.
    Sure seems like they don’t have any interest in doing any more pins.

My Devices
    iOS, Android
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has probably been said before, but as a software developer and manager, the TPA product has had all the warning signs of a death march/dysfunctional project for years now. Serious showstopper bugs going for months without being fixed (and less serious but gameplay-affecting bugs NEVER getting fixed or addressed), wholly inadequate (and sometimes virtually nonexistent) testing on new releases, releases of new tables breaking older tables, features (like multiplayer) that were partially rolled out to the public and then abandoned. I would love to get the inside story some day, my guess is that there are a couple of "superheros" on the team that kept the releases coming and moving forward, and fought burnout.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgias32 View Post
    This has probably been said before, but as a software developer and manager, the TPA product has had all the warning signs of a death march/dysfunctional project for years now. Serious showstopper bugs going for months without being fixed (and less serious but gameplay-affecting bugs NEVER getting fixed or addressed), wholly inadequate (and sometimes virtually nonexistent) testing on new releases, releases of new tables breaking older tables, features (like multiplayer) that were partially rolled out to the public and then abandoned. I would love to get the inside story some day, my guess is that there are a couple of "superheros" on the team that kept the releases coming and moving forward, and fought burnout.
    First time I visited FarSight, which was during season 1, everyone there was working on TPA. The 6 or 7 downstairs offices all had machines in them, there was a large room with machines in various stages of tear down, art department was all working on it, everyone, and Norman the sound engineer was clearly the most passionate. This has always been a small studio of 20 or so employees, and it was all hands on deck including management. The next time, maybe a year later, much the same. The last time I visited, a little less than a year ago, I saw 2 people working on something pinball related. Machines were no longer in most offices, the big room of tear down had not one machine in it, and Norman had retired. I think he was the heartbeat of TPA, he and Mike went to all the conventions, he did table purchases, and he would even call me up out of the blue just to talk pinball. There are still people at the studio who enjoy pinball, but I don’t think any have that obsessive passion. TPA was just part of the job, on to the next assignment.

My Devices
    iOS, PC
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much negativity.

When this came out in 2012 there were few digital pinball options, particularly recreating real-life tables, and at a high quality level - and yes back in 2012 the physics for TPA were pretty great. They put out 100 real-life tables, which is pretty incredible to have in one product. I know I put in 100's of hours playing this game and enjoying my time with it. And TPA inspired me to seek out pinball tables in real life. So I found shows in the area like Midwest Gaming Classic, Pinball Expo, and Vintage Flipper World which I would never have thought to look for before TPA. Now they're regular yearly stops.

The game also pretty much helped create this forum community, which I'm also thankful for. And there were plenty of fun threads related to the game created here, such as guessing the next monthly tables based on the newsletter hints.

So sure the game is rickety after 7 years and not up to snuff with the new hotness (Zen) and a lot of talked about features or bug fixes were never done. But it wasn't all bad by a long shot.

That said I am looking forward to Zen doing Sterns.

My Devices
    Ipad Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawley View Post
    So much negativity.

When this came out in 2012 there were few digital pinball options, particularly recreating real-life tables, and at a high quality level - and yes back in 2012 the physics for TPA were pretty great. They put out 100 real-life tables, which is pretty incredible to have in one product. I know I put in 100's of hours playing this game and enjoying my time with it. And TPA inspired me to seek out pinball tables in real life. So I found shows in the area like Midwest Gaming Classic, Pinball Expo, and Vintage Flipper World which I would never have thought to look for before TPA. Now they're regular yearly stops.

The game also pretty much helped create this forum community, which I'm also thankful for. And there were plenty of fun threads related to the game created here, such as guessing the next monthly tables based on the newsletter hints.

So sure the game is rickety after 7 years and not up to snuff with the new hotness (Zen) and a lot of talked about features or bug fixes were never done. But it wasn't all bad by a long shot.

Nice post, but you lost me at the end.

If I could actually play a Zen table with real life physics, maybe I'd warm up to it. Instead I'm stuck with the mobile hot mess trying to make me think it's pinball.

My Devices
    iOS, Android
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much negativity.

Yeah, my post about dysfunction was probably more negative than necessary. TPA, far more than Zen, pulled me into the world of pinball and has brought me way more enjoyment than any other game, and as you say TPA is the driver that created this community. The tables themselves are generally excellent, some are masterpieces, and I would say that all of them are worth the price. I am really just feeling disappointed that it had even more potential that was never realized, and that it feels like it's coming to an end.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

You are 100% correct in what TPA gave and offered to many of us for many years. I think it's more disappointment in what could have been than just straight up negativity. The Zen releases are just shining a big ol' spotlight on that. And then there's the fact that people still want FarSight to pump out Gottlieb EM/SS machines, but they seemingly couldn't care to be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
    Nice post, but you lost me at the end.

If I could actually play a Zen table with real life physics, maybe I'd warm up to it. Instead I'm stuck with the mobile hot mess trying to make me think it's pinball.
    The pinball is fine. You just can't see (or maybe even play) past the 'freemium' aspects that surround it.
    I'm just sayin'

My Devices
    Ipad Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shutyertrap View Post
    You are 100% correct in what TPA gave and offered to many of us for many years. I think it's more disappointment in what could have been than just straight up negativity. The Zen releases are just shining a big ol' spotlight on that. And then there's the fact that people still want FarSight to pump out Gottlieb EM/SS machines, but they seemingly couldn't care to be bothered.

The pinball is fine. You just can't see (or maybe even play) past the 'freemium' aspects that surround it.
    The pinball is far from fine. Maybe I don't have enough tickets. Maybe there's some other issue. I really don't know.

What I do know is what I'm seeing are Zen physics but not pinball physics. Shots are predictable and far more accurate up ramps than they should be. The ball "dies" after coming off a pop bumper. It just loses momentum and heads down. No gradual loss of momentum, no gentle curve.

In a previous post, I said it felt more like a rock than a pinball. Maybe consoles are that much more superior. In TPAs case, while there was room for improvement and some shots definitely seemed more scripted, that's definitely changed.

I grew up in arcades playing real pinball. TPA brings the feeling back in a way Zen hasn't.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That's what I'm saying, you are stuck behind the freemium aspects. I play on mobile too, have all but one table completely upgraded at the moment. The Pro physics are brutal and fun. That being said, as I play on a phone, I tend to play using the Zen physics model instead as things are too small to react to in time with Pro. I've gone back and forth from TPA to Williams Pinball using the Zen physics, and I much prefer Zen. I get what you are saying about the heavy ball, it's been a constant complaint about Zen in general from many, I am not one of those, but I get it. I just feel like the ball is skating on ice in TPA, and that has everything to do with the fact there is no actual ball spin in the game, the ball has no friction on the play surface.

I challenge you with this...find a local place that has one of the 10 machines offered in Williams Pinball. Play the app, play TPA's version, and then play the real thing. I did just that recently, and there's simply no way you'll feel the same about TPA vs Zen after, even using Zen's base physics.
    I'm just sayin'

My Devices
    Ipad Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shutyertrap View Post
    That's what I'm saying, you are stuck behind the freemium aspects. I play on mobile too, have all but one table completely upgraded at the moment. The Pro physics are brutal and fun. That being said, as I play on a phone, I tend to play using the Zen physics model instead as things are too small to react to in time with Pro. I've gone back and forth from TPA to Williams Pinball using the Zen physics, and I much prefer Zen. I get what you are saying about the heavy ball, it's been a constant complaint about Zen in general from many, I am not one of those, but I get it. I just feel like the ball is skating on ice in TPA, and that has everything to do with the fact there is no actual ball spin in the game, the ball has no friction on the play surface.

I challenge you with this...find a local place that has one of the 10 machines offered in Williams Pinball. Play the app, play TPA's version, and then play the real thing. I did just that recently, and there's simply no way you'll feel the same about TPA vs Zen after, even using Zen's base physics.
    That would be interesting to compare. I've always attributed the TPA play to tables that just didn't sit at much of an angle. Plus, there could have been some restriction in their contract with Williams. (just thinking out loud). With all of the criticism like what you're talking about, it seems like they would address it.

Personally, I always thought PRO mode on TPA should allow you to adjust the tilt of the play field.

TPA has still been performing tweaks to tables, so I'm hoping they at least have a Jack up their sleeve.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We used to grill FarSight about the tables not being difficult enough, that they were not designed for people to play one game for 45 minutes or longer, and that there really should be a difficulty adjust button. They teased for years that it was on the to-do list, but finally came out and said they didn't want to scare off the average player who just wanted to come in for a good time. We the hardcore would just have to take a backseat to the masses.
    I'm just sayin'

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast