When will the next Pinball Arcade table be released?

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I didn't have any Gottlieb tables before, so will get packs 1-3; don't think I'll bother with the EM pack though. Pack 3 seems best value for what's in each.

HighFive

Jun 9, 2019
I didn't have any Gottlieb tables before, so will get packs 1-3; don't think I'll bother with the EM pack though. Pack 3 seems best value for what's in each.

I think they all worth it imo, unless your really not into EM machines. Different pace of action for sure, but they are very fun and more relaxing pinball!

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
i think if they do announce that zen has stern that will be way too soon. what will happen if they get it and start releasing stern tables in 2020 is williams/bally will never get any or not enough pre-dmd love, it will mean they will fight less for the williams/bally lincened tables because they will have so many stern licences to buy instead. and while they would be putting great stuff out with stern i think they will ignore so much stuff we wanted.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
The one good thing about Stern is I believe all licensing arrangements for digital versions of their pins were included with their initial licensing agreements. I can't remember if it's all their pins after or including Metallica but something like that. So THAT should not be the one headache we will have to deal with.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The one good thing about Stern is I believe all licensing arrangements for digital versions of their pins were included with their initial licensing agreements. I can't remember if it's all their pins after or including Metallica but something like that. So THAT should not be the one headache we will have to deal with.

A license fee will still have to be paid for digital versions, it’s just those fees have already been negotiated. Prevents having to hunt down the rights for every actor, the music, whatever. So yes, easier, but still gonna cost a little extra beyond just having Stern license.

Black_Spade

Feb 12, 2016
Dont know why they dont release packs like theses:

Gottlieb Ems: Royal Flush, Surfer, Abra Ca Dabra, Atlantis, Joker Poker, Spirit Of '76, Fast Draw, Buccaneer

Stern's Classics : Catacomb, Galaxy, Meteor, Quicksilver, Sea Witch, Star Gazer, Stars

I would buy these packs without even thinking about it

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
I would buy ANYTHING they might release, I mean, I have all of everything for TPA on PS4, and I'm still hoping they would release more. I'll admit though, I wouldn't be as excited for "original" tables as I would be for re-creations, but I'd still buy them anyway.

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
Yeah, the sound bug fixes would be nice, but honestly, I don't really expect Farsight to bother with the app anymore. It's been far too long with absolutely nothing....oh, except for updates to further delist tables, but no fixes. Hope I'm wrong, but it seems TPA is dead, sad to say.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
the thing that really annoys me about all that is they specifically said they would continue to support and fix the williams bally tables when they let us know to buy them all right away because they were going out. i had already had a complete set on steam and threw a good 300 hundred more at them completing my android set buying my girlfriend tables on her phone and getting all my favorites on ps4. i was also pretty upset they made addams family the table of the month that last month... on android/iphone they had it so you couldnt buy the table of the month loose and to get addams family i had to buy her the complete season 2 pack on her phone.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
this just in Jay Obernolte cracks the big LCD code, farsight gets rights to strangers things, elvira 3, jurrasic park and 50 other things, the TPA table count goes back to 100+. not satisfied with giving the fans of pinball enough Jay insists that all the tables be free. with such amazing free digital recreations everyone starts to play it, every single person. pinball instantly becomes the most popular thing on earth. stern pinball becomes more valuable of a company than apple. pinball machines set to free play can be found on every street corner. everyone is too busy playing pinball to work anymore, the government shuts down, no one even notices or cares. stern puts out a new table Gorgar 2 the first table to feature a talking voice and artificial intelligence, skynet takes over the earth enslaving humankind.

Annorax

Feb 2, 2013
I'm still not sure why Farsight and Stern don't leverage more of the fairly large Data East/Sega library that Stern owns the rights to. That could keep us in new tables for a couple years.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm still not sure why Farsight and Stern don't leverage more of the fairly large Data East/Sega library that Stern owns the rights to. That could keep us in new tables for a couple years.

It's real simple; FarSight does not want to pay the licensing fees that come with the licensed tables.

Now here's my long winded analogy of an answer...

Think of The Pinball Arcade as a car. FarSight bought it new with no other intention of having something that would drive them from point A to point B. They'd had previous models of the same make (Gottlieb and Williams Hall of Fame) that served this function, but this time they splurged a little for the top of the line version. What surprised them was how popular that car became with everyone else, and for a bit they were looking very on trend. They were proud of their car, did basic maintenance on it, but that was it. As happens with any car, time takes its toll and even basic maintenance won't cover larger issues. On top of that, FarSight never souped up the vehicle or improved its performance, and when it got new paint it only slapped it on top of the old.

There comes a certain point with any car where you start adding up how much it costs you to continually hire a mechanic to fix it, versus using that same money to save up for something new. This isn't like restoring a classic, it's keeping the Hyundai running. And by the way, your neighbor just pulled up in their Porsche, wants to race, but took the rims right off your car so how exactly are you going to do that?

End analogy.

One other thing is that it's not just about paying licensing fees, it's hiring lawyers to negotiate with all the parties after searching for the rights holders. FarSight is back to doing what they did prior to TPA, which is being a contract studio. They essentially put their entire company on hold while doing TPA, but more than likely took a look in the mirror and said, "this isn't who we are". Actually, I think they made a real go of it and tried to secure the Williams license long term for themselves, but once Zen came away with it, reality sort of came crashing in. Who knows, maybe the ToyShock deal will reinvigorate them, have them throw down an even bigger investment. One thing is for sure though, that Hyundai will never beat a Porsche so they better invest in a Ferrari.

Members online

Members online