Scared Stiff (MAME)

wizard33

Jul 31, 2014
Recently, I noticed that MAME emulator has a rom called Scared Stiff.

I know that the game will not run, but I was curious about it and searched for any screenshots or something.

But I found nothing. Anyone has some infos about it ?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Recently, I noticed that MAME emulator has a rom called Scared Stiff.

I know that the game will not run, but I was curious about it and searched for any screenshots or something.

But I found nothing. Anyone has some infos about it ?

It's probably for Visual Pinball, as you have to download not only the table, but sound and ROM files.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yep, the emulator that goes hand and hand with Visual Pinball, VpinMAME, is actually based on a really old version of MAME. There are other WMS pin ROMs in most MAME packs as well. Since WMS owned Midway back in the day, the boards and software were probably pretty similar between the arcade cabs and the pins, and the process for dumping the ROMs was as well. Before Visual Pinball, some of the ROMs could probably run in MAME, but mainly as a proof of concept until Steve Ellenoff and the boys came along and got things really rolling with VpinMAME and Visual Pinball, and it was also Steve who worked with Farsight on their ROM emulation for TPA.

Last edited:

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
Man, I haven't messed with VP in a LONG time. I still have an ancient version installed on this laptop (which is 7 years old) that I transplanted from an even older PC. It still works, but I can only imagine that VP must have improved quite a bit since then. I have over 700 tables from that time set up and playable. I think it was something like VP version 6. Through the main program, it calls it version 0.8.9506, but I remember that there was always a disparity between the official version number and what version they called it. All I know is that it's extremely old, but still works.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.