Williams Pinball App Discussion

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
What does it feel like compared to the consoles guys? And compared to mobile TPA?

Feels and behaves like the Steam version. Compared to TPA app, looks way better. Physics of TPA will not be terribly more noticeably floaty until you unlock the Pro Physics, and then it’s night and day.

abouttreefitty

Apr 26, 2014
250 Zen Coins per table for full unlock. You can by piles of coins for the following...

50 coins = $1
150 coins = $5
350 coins = $10
800 coins = $20
2250 coins = $50
5000 coins = $100

So $45 will get you all 7 tables with no grinding. (two 800 coin stacks and one 150 coin)

Yes, that is wildly more expensive than consoles or Steam. You're either going to be wildly offended by that I suspect if you are the sort of person who just like to buy outright a game rather than grind, or you'll be in my camp who are the sort that never pay money to mobile games and think it's great there's a way to earn everything over time. Having done this myself in the beta, I know it's possible and I'm doing it all over again now as the whole game got reset for us testers too.

It’s pretty messed up how they’re tricking people with different values of coins. Your best bet is to buy at 50 coins for $1 or 5,000 coins for $100. All of the other denominations are ripoffs. Using that method, it’s $35 for all 7 tables. Just buy 5 packs of 50 coins per table.

50 coins = $1 = 2 cents a coin
150 coins = $5 = 3.3 cents a coin
350 coins = $10 = 2.8 cents a coin
800 coins = $20 = 2.5 cents a coin
2250 coins = $50 = 2.2 cents a coin
5000 coins = $100 = 2 cents a coin

abouttreefitty

Apr 26, 2014
I could have sworn at one point in the iOS beta that the value per coin was constant across all amounts and then they changed it in the last 2 or 3 revisions.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
App was released Monday, it's now Wednesday...

I have played 3 cycles of daily challenges now. Fully completing my first basic challenge gave me enough table parts for whichever table it was (can't remember) to play the Advanced challenge. I played and completed both challenges on Tuesday, and again today. Here's how my collecting stands...

AFM - 2 stars, 2/10 to 3rd
Black Rose - 3 stars, 1/20 to 4th
Party Zone - 2 stars, 0/10 to 3rd
Fish Tales - 1 star, 1/3 to 2nd
The Getaway - 2 stars, 0/10 to 3rd
Junk Yard - 2 stars, 7/10 to 3rd
MM - 2 stars, 3/10 to 3rd

So just within 3 days I can play in Arcade Play all but Fish Tales
3rd star opens up the flipper mods and the visually enhanced version of a table. 4th star gives Pro difficulty and Pro physics as well as offline play and some other perks
I flip all five cards, letting the video play and spending the 1 Z coin, but yesterday I had 2 times where the video would play and therefore couldn't collect on that card
I'll be able to play the Pro challenge once I can 3 star more tables, which obviously will then give more chances at collecting parts. The best card I flipped so far gave me +3 Parts for Black Rose
I'm at level 10 XP
2440 tickets (told you these were handed out with abandon)
121 Z Coins
21 different ball skins
4 different ball trails
10 different flipper skins

I've also been playing multiplayer for cash (I'd earned that playing Zen's eSports pinball and FarSight's Pinball Tournaments) and we need more players! There's like 4 of us on the leaderboard and that's it. By the way, MM with one ball is super tense when money is on the line. Especially when I keep seeing scores of less than a million from everyone.

I will continue to update as I progress, but I think it's important for people to see just how easy it is to get to the point of having the basic version of each table for free. To reiterate, that's 6/7 tables I can play for free after 3 days of daily challenge play.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012

I have played 3 cycles of daily challenges now. Fully completing my first basic challenge gave me enough table parts for whichever table it was (can't remember) to play the Advanced challenge. I played and completed both challenges on Tuesday, and again today. Here's how my collecting stands...

3rd star opens up the flipper mods and the visually enhanced version of a table. 4th star gives Pro difficulty and Pro physics as well as offline play and some other perks
I flip all five cards, letting the video play and spending the 1 Z coin, but yesterday I had 2 times where the video would play and therefore couldn't collect on that card
I'll be able to play the Pro challenge once I can 3 star more tables, which obviously will then give more chances at collecting parts. The best card I flipped so far gave me +3 Parts for Black Rose
I'm at level 10 XP
121 Z Coins
21 different ball skins
4 different ball trails

I've also been playing multiplayer for cash (I'd earned that playing Zen's eSports pinball and FarSight's Pinball Tournaments) and we need more players! There's like 4 of us on the leaderboard and that's it. By the way, MM with one ball is super tense when money is on the line. Especially when I keep seeing scores of less than a million from everyone.

I will continue to update as I progress, but I think it's important for people to see just how easy it is to get to the point of having the basic version of each table for free. To reiterate, that's 6/7 tables I can play for free after 3 days of daily challenge play.

Nice. I'm just getting mostly ballskins, so it's taking me bit longer.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, I’ve had nowhere near the luck you’ve had!

I’m at Level 4 XP. I can only do the top challenge for the day (5, 10, 15 stars). I have 230 tickets and 21 Zen coins. I can only play Attack From Mars (level 2) and I have Party Zone at level 2. That’s all. I’ve been awarded a couple of tickets, and I’ve gotten 1 Zen Coin a few times as well.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
All this sounds very confusing and annoying. So is it filled with ads and that is the point of grinding. Thats how all the grinding games make money, constant annoying ads. How are they going to charge more for a lesser quality version... sticking with my trusty old farsight tables for mobile.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Honestly, your best bet is to download it for free and try it out. You have the option of watching a video; it doesn’t play automatically. Once you finish a challenge you have 5 rewards; 3 of those you click on, 1 is obtained by watching a 30 second video, and 1 is obtained by spending a Zen coin.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
All this sounds very confusing and annoying. So is it filled with ads and that is the point of grinding. Thats how all the grinding games make money, constant annoying ads. How are they going to charge more for a lesser quality version... sticking with my trusty old farsight tables for mobile.

Gord is 100% right. Try it out. You don't have to spend any $ to kick the tires.

But as for me, I'm very disappointed. Not in the game play, but in the way it is presented and sold. A big turnoff for me. Might buy a new release that I don't have on TPA, but that's about it for me. They would have to have a super sale or revamp the app to get my interest back.

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
Gord is 100% right. Try it out. You don't have to spend any $ to kick the tires.

But as for me, I'm very disappointed. Not in the game play, but in the way it is presented and sold. A big turnoff for me. Might buy a new release that I don't have on TPA, but that's about it for me. They would have to have a super sale or revamp the app to get my interest back.
I agree with this.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014

I'm at level 10 XP
121 Z Coins
21 different ball skins
4 different ball trails

I'm nowhere near that after 2 days of playing AFM and fully completing the challenges both days. I have AFM at 2 stars, and HS2 at 1 star, nothing else even close. Except the challenges appear to be random so if HS2 doesn't show up as the Basic challenge and/or AFM doesn't show up as the Advanced challenge, I'm screwed. Unless I have to wait for the challenges to reset and it'll make sure I have challenges at appropriate levels for the tables I've unlocked?

Not sure I want to grind Arcade Mode on AFM just to keep earning between challenges. This is supposed to be fun....

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Okay so I just checked in and today's challenges are up. I have a Basic challenge for HS2, and an Advanced for AFM (but it wants me to watch an ad before I can proceed to that challenge...). So I can assume that because I now have 2 tables to play challenges on, I'll get stuff a bit quicker, right?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I'm nowhere near that after 2 days of playing AFM and fully completing the challenges both days. I have AFM at 2 stars, and HS2 at 1 star, nothing else even close. Except the challenges appear to be random so if HS2 doesn't show up as the Basic challenge and/or AFM doesn't show up as the Advanced challenge, I'm screwed. Unless I have to wait for the challenges to reset and it'll make sure I have challenges at appropriate levels for the tables I've unlocked?

Not sure I want to grind Arcade Mode on AFM just to keep earning between challenges. This is supposed to be fun....

Just reset the basic challenge for 25 tickets after you've completed it. You'll earn back the 25 tickets and then some plus you'll continue earning table parts to keep the grind going. I wasn't too excited about the grinding at first, but it's actually pretty fun once you figure out how to grind continuously.

Also, you can get 50 tickets from the in-game store for free every two hours by watching a video.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

I agree with this.

I’m not much of a mobile player, but for me Gameplay > Everything Else.

If I have the option of better gameplay for a couple more bucks, I’ll always choose it.

For me, I just can’t go back to TPA after playing the Zen versions of these Williams tables. They’re more than 2 X as good imo, so you get what you pay for.

That said, I do wish their prices were the same as other platforms. I think Zen shot themselves in the foot a bit with this release. At least they added a way to get the tables for free which is good since most mobile players don’t like paying for stuff in free apps, but grinding is a turnoff for some so the price to just unlock the tables should be in line with other platforms.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Just reset the basic challenge for 25 tickets after you've completed it. You'll earn back the 25 tickets and then some plus you'll continue earning table parts to keep the grind going. I wasn't too excited about the grinding at first, but it's actually pretty fun once you figure out how to grind continuously.

Also, you can get 50 tickets from the in-game store for free every two hours by watching a video.

I didn’t realize that! Thanks for the heads up, I’ll totally be doing that.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013

I wasn't aware you keep the things you earned when restarting the challenge. That's worth noting. I thought "losing progress" would also mean "losing everything you got during the challenges".

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I wasn't aware you keep the things you earned when restarting the challenge. That's worth noting. I thought "losing progress" would also mean "losing everything you got during the challenges".

I believe it means that if you're on the second or third part of the basic challenge, resetting it will start you back at the first part of a new challenge meaning you can't go back and complete the second or third part of the previous challenge. You shouldn't lose anything you've already earned.

...however, I only reset the basic challenge after I've earned all 15 stars so I can't be too sure what happens if you reset the basic challenge without fully completing it.

Last edited:

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013

I assume these are the numbers of the table parts you have. Well, on Android there seems to be a different levelling system.

1 star - 5 parts
2 stars - 15 parts
3 stars - 50 parts

Don't know about the rest, as I am not at 3 stars on any table. Heck, I'm only on 1 star on 4 tables, 0 on 2 tables and 2 stars on the starting table.

I have resettet several times today but progress seems so slow with sometimes just 1 part dropping on a card. Will take ages and for level 2 I need 750 tickets as well, I just have 155. I don't feel like they are thrown at me at the moment.

By the way, the reset of the basic challenge costs 50 tickets for me. Not sure if the cost increased after several resets though.

Members online

Members online