Williams Pinball Android Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
Interesting - Thanks

for those that also beta tested on iOS. How do you find the comparison graphically? On my iPhone 8 the colours are more vibrant and lighting appears better than on my Xiaomi Mi A1. Not sure if this is down to the hardware or application differences? Just curious.

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
Regarding the dead flipper, this happens on my iPhone 7 as well. I experienced this on The Pinball Arcade on iOS as well, but the issue is worse here. This is a multitouch issue. It happens when there are two touches registered at the same time. There are certain spots that if you’re touching and holding on one side that a touch on the other side won’t register. You can test this by holding a ball in one flipper and then touching the other flipper in various spots. You’ll find certain spots that are dead zones.

The Pinball Arcade developer said this issue could not be fixed. I’m learning to play with my thumbs in different spots to avoid the dead zones.

In years of playing TPA and Zen apps on multiple mobile devices, as well as in the Williams Pinball beta and RTM on iOS, I have never experienced this "dead flipper" issue before - or if I it has happened, it has been so infrequent as to not have been noticeable. So if there is a touch issue, it's something that is SO MUCH worse in the Android beta that I have to think there is something they can do about it.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I have had zero issues with freezing flippers or dead zones on my iPhone 7 Plus. On occasion I haven’t had the catapult launch in MM or the knife be thrown in BR, but I attribute that to my thumb missing the mark more than anything.

If we were talking the Bethesda Pinball app, I have had many times where pushing a selection button in the menus doesn’t register at first, but that’s been the extent of any difficulty I’ve had with a Zen app.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I've unlocked most of the tables now, but haven't seen any freezing flippers at any point. Using a Huawei P20 pro, and nvidia shield k1 tablet.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Well, guess who just had a frozen flipper at a most inopportune moment? Pretty sure I got another one a bit later too. Pixel 3 XL.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
Didn't think to look here for discussion of the Android version. I started playing on January 29th and have reached Level 23, despite my objections to the awful mobile price model I've been enjoying the core gameplay more than I anticipated.

Interesting to read some of the commentary regarding lack of flipper response, I frequently drain off the left flipper but thought that was due to user input, perhaps there's more to it. I keep hearing a short error sound whilst playing but I can't determine what it means. It's definitely not a tilt warning but could be multiball related, any ideas?

Thanks [MENTION=459]jaredmorgs[/MENTION]. I followed your advice & now showing with my edited GooglePlay name: ANDYDR1VER
So thanks for that :)

Ahh that's a familiar League name - I was starting to think those were randomly generated (who's PinballTec?). I suspect the 'opponents' and target scores are entirely virtual as they don't appear to correlate with the table. What rewards does League Mode pay out when a Season concludes, surely it has to be substantially greater than the player's original ticket investment?

First I've heard about an eSports edition, is that only available on Apple devices?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yes, the Zen eSports edition and the multiplayer mode in the Apple version of Williams Pinball use the Skillz app, which is only on iOS. We don’t have the League Mode that is on Android.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
Regarding the dead flipper, this happens on my iPhone 7 as well. I experienced this on The Pinball Arcade on iOS as well, but the issue is worse here. This is a multitouch issue. It happens when there are two touches registered at the same time. There are certain spots that if you’re touching and holding on one side that a touch on the other side won’t register. You can test this by holding a ball in one flipper and then touching the other flipper in various spots. You’ll find certain spots that are dead zones.

The Pinball Arcade developer said this issue could not be fixed. I’m learning to play with my thumbs in different spots to avoid the dead zones.

I remember this being brought up a while back about TPA, but at least on my end it is definitely not related only to multi touch. To test I loaded a table in arcade mode and spammed the left flipper and got multiple freezes with just a single touch. I also decided to test it on the touch nudge and found it even worse there. Every 3rd or 4th nudge got no reaction from the table I checked by tilting the table which lets you nudge infinitly and got more than double the dead response to a single touch. I'm thinking it has to do with quick touches more than multi touch, maybe an issue with how quick the game refreshes vs how often it polls for touch input. I hope this is something they are looking at.

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
Great Blahcade show [MENTION=134]shutyertrap[/MENTION] & [MENTION=459]jaredmorgs[/MENTION]
I hope you can get some answers from Zen on both the pricing structure and maybe this flipper freeze issue. I also seem to experience it on the left rather than right flipper.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
oh.... the right one also suck big time. Yesterday I needed some 20+ games to finish 5min challenge on MM because of dead right flipper.
True, that was happening in TPA also but maybe once in a hundred balls. Here............. well, in arcade almost never in challenges all the time. Like it's intentional just to grind some more and watch more stupid videos.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Bit of an experiment. TPA only allows two simultaneous touch inputs. This hasn't always been the case, it used to allow more I remember.
If you had two flippers cradled and activated a third touch point it used to deenergise either one or both upheld flippers (I forget). Farsight changed this at some point to two simultaneous inputs limited. (I remember it happening but not when).

Zen Williams allows more than two. I've just tried holding both and touch nudge still works and doesn't appear to cancel out any already active touch inputs for me using a Huawei P20 pro.

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
Bit of an experiment. TPA only allows two simultaneous touch inputs. This hasn't always been the case, it used to allow more I remember.
If you had two flippers cradled and activated a third touch point it used to deenergise either one or both upheld flippers (I forget). Farsight changed this at some point to two simultaneous inputs limited. (I remember it happening but not when).

Zen Williams allows more than two. I've just tried holding both and touch nudge still works and doesn't appear to cancel out any already active touch inputs for me using a Huawei P20 pro.

Nudging is tricky and generally ineffective on my Moto G4, if a flipper is engaged even less so.
Certainly not a reliable mechanism so Black Rose is an absolute ball drainer.

That's one of my main objections to the mobile pricing, it's an enjoyable yet vastly inferior experience at considerably higher cost.
I don't think I could even play this game on public transport over 4G due to the online requirements for anything below 4th Grade.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Nudging is tricky and generally ineffective on my Moto G4, if a flipper is engaged even less so.
Certainly not a reliable mechanism so Black Rose is an absolute ball drainer.

That's one of my main objections to the mobile pricing, it's an enjoyable yet vastly inferior experience at considerably higher cost.
I don't think I could even play this game on public transport over 4G due to the online requirements for anything below 4th Grade.
I have been playing it on public transport.

My experience is on a train, 30 minute trip, with the usual network congestion of 500+ people trying to access the same cell.

This game's video freemium awards simply don't work on anything less than 3G. H+ just results in a game crash, or if you're lucky an unresponsive "watch video" button.

The network conditions are outside Zen's control. The way they cache the videos on your device so you can play in degraded network conditions IMO is.

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
The beta runs fine on my phone (Nokia 7.1) but it is a narrow phone, so the view of flippers are small. I'm used to playing on landscape mode (Mac and Xbox) and always prioritise a larger view of the flippers in my views above anything else. I would be great if we could get landscape views similar to what we have on other systems.

P.S. Hopefully somebody comes back with a... oh, you just need to do this to get the view into landscape mode ;)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
So, let's talk about League Play. And how utterly imbalanced it is.

Roll AFM at any level? Plunge the ball, make a couple of shots, walk away for three minutes, and win.

Junk Yard? Fugeddabadit.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I’m curious if the League Play is similar to the matchups of Bethesda Pinball. There you start at say 50,000th place and only advance a few hundred places regardless of your winning score. It’s not until getting close to 20,000th that you even see the scores start to increase. I haven’t gotten there yet, but I have to believe the scores get more challenging once there’s only a couple thousand left. Unfortunately that’s a long grind before things get interesting. Do you Android players think this matches to your current experience with the beta? Or is it closer to what the matchups are in FX3 ( which I also stopped doing because of the sheer volume of grinding each cycle to maintain rank)

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
I have no idea how it is on other zen games, but I do know that after wasting some tickets and wining I dont get any reward points. I'm still in first league with 0/255 crowns. So either I dont get it or it just doesnt work.

And yeah, that dead right flipper is there for sure in 1 ball challanges.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I’m curious if the League Play is similar to the matchups of Bethesda Pinball. There you start at say 50,000th place and only advance a few hundred places regardless of your winning score. It’s not until getting close to 20,000th that you even see the scores start to increase. I haven’t gotten there yet, but I have to believe the scores get more challenging once there’s only a couple thousand left. Unfortunately that’s a long grind before things get interesting. Do you Android players think this matches to your current experience with the beta? Or is it closer to what the matchups are in FX3 ( which I also stopped doing because of the sheer volume of grinding each cycle to maintain rank)
Nothing like. You're playing "against" an opponent in a 3 minute game with unlimited ball save. The opponent's score keeps going up, and the higher the level of opponent (there can be a choice of 3, with the tables chosen randomly), the faster their score rises.

Problem is, their scoring rate is the same for every table. So for instance the Level 3 opponent will always finish up with 20-25M after 3 minutes.

Scoring more than 25M in 3 minutes on AFM is trivial.

Achieving the same on Junk Yard is nigh on impossible.

Beat the score and you get points toward your next rank. Lose and you lose points. Games are 25 tickets, you can reset the table choice for 50 tickets. Sometimes opponents are blacked out, I've not figured out why.

At the end of the league period, you get a mystery case based on your rank.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.