BlahCade #163: Not down with IAP (yeah you know me)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
In today's mobile gaming world, freemium models are often the only way developers can earn a crust in a crowded game market.

Getting the balance right between playing for free to level up (grinding) versus playing outright can be a tough balance to get right.

It seems that Zen might have made a misstep with pricing on their Android release of Williams Pinball.

While the app is released in beta form, in-app purchases are live and available to purchase.

So what are the current pricing differences between Android and iOS? Well, quite a lot as you'll find out when you listen to this episode.

Check out https://blahcadepinball.com/163-not-down-with-iap for show notes and screenshots of actual in-game pricing, and the usual show timings you love (you do love 'em right)?

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
I just unlocked all 7 tables (4 star/owned) tonight - it took me 12 days just playing the daily challenges (no refresh)
I ended up level 25, 22,900 tickets, and 208 zen coins left over.
Enjoyed the challenge, didn't pay a cent (unless ignoring ads counts lol)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I just unlocked all 7 tables (4 star/owned) tonight - it took me 12 days just playing the daily challenges (no refresh)
I ended up level 25, 22,900 tickets, and 208 zen coins left over.
Enjoyed the challenge, didn't pay a cent (unless ignoring ads counts lol)
Was this on iOS?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
See? I'm not the only one! Only difference is I haven't played the 4th challenge (maybe I should unlock it seeing this) and I only have one table with 4 stars and the rest with 3 at the moment. Hey DA5ID, do Zen a solid and leave a review or star rating in the app store. Currently the disgruntled are slamming them with 1 star notices.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
See? I'm not the only one! Only difference is I haven't played the 4th challenge (maybe I should unlock it seeing this) and I only have one table with 4 stars and the rest with 3 at the moment. Hey DA5ID, do Zen a solid and leave a review or star rating in the app store. Currently the disgruntled are slamming them with 1 star notices.

4th challenge only gives tickets on the 3 reward loot boxes (progressively more with 5/10/15 stars) and cost 100 zen coins to unlock.
I did it mainly for the chance to get table parts with the "paid" loot box which cost 3 zen coins each time- it mostly gave out table parts, sometimes ball "powerups".
I was a little mad when it gave me the duplicate table parts for tables i already owned but it all evened out as the "ad" loot box generously gave out 20 zen coins several times.

I will admit it took me a long time (read confused as ****) in the beta before i figured out the "rhythm" of this system. as soon as i did i started enjoying it.

Members online

Members online