BlahCade #165 - Data is King

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
There was an update recently to the iOS Williams Pinball app from Zen Studios.

Chris gives us an update of what changes were made in the app, and what clues it gives for Android users still suffering from the 10x mark-up on IAP in-game currency pricing.

We also clarify a few things said in the previous beta coverage podcast about graphics and stuff.

There is also a question at the end of the show that Jared would love the answer to. So please think about it and let us know.

Check out https://blahcadepinball.com/165-data-is-king for the timings and links.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I don't really care for the timestamps. Having a few shownotes without timestamps would be nice to have, but nothing really to invest a lot of time for.

By the way: Hooray for the sound upgrade, Jared!

Last edited:

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
By the way, in regards to the tournament you mention, Jared. The scores are not really what another player is actually doing. The best guess I think is there is a score to beat and the game pretends the score going up as the time is going on, rather than to tell you which score you have to beat. Whether or not the scores are real, I don't know. The player names probably are. I think it's real people but fake scores. And of course no live head-to-head.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
So you'll be happy just for an episode summary and some key links to cool stuff?

Yes, most of the time I'm just listening it from start to end anyway. Only sometimes, when I want to comment on stuff, I might look up the shownotes and listen again to a section to make sure I remember correctly what has been said.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I was quite surprised how much difference it made in post production. I'm glad I took the plunge.

Sounds like its one of those changes that as soon as you do it, immediately think why didn't I do this sooner.

I got Paintshop Pro at start of January (luckily in a humble bundle) for editing my eBay photos of books - perspective correction tool makes a big difference. Heavy sets of books I can stand in a pile and crop the background (also crop the background out of photos of single books) out to make it look like they are standing up. Another step ahead against most of the competition.

One of those changes I should have made years ago.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Hi Jared, can only speak for myself but I really appreciate the timing points - I personally like to skip to parts I'm interested in/the "good" stuff - however fully understand if it's a lot of work to update the Medium website why you'd no longer want to do them.

If it makes it any easier, I used to like seeing the timing points on this website, I find the ShoutEngine & Medium Websites a little fiddly to use myself.

Either way, keep up the great work guys

Last edited:

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
Hi Jared, can only speak for myself but I really appreciate the timing points - I personally like to skip to parts I'm interested in/the "good" stuff - however fully understand if it's a lot of work to update the Medium website why you'd no longer want to do them.

If it makes it any easier, I used to like seeing the timing points on this website, I find the ShoutEngine & Medium Websites a little fiddly to use myself.

Ditto this

Mar 9, 2012

I agree as well

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
It's good to hear that folks do find value in the timing points.

What do you find fiddly about the Medium site? The link should dump you right to the post so there should be no navigation required.

I didn't put timing points in Shoutengine because their text editor didn't support proper HTML and stuffed up line breaks, etc. They seem to have fixed that for basic stuff now, which is good.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I listen to the podcast on my phone, so anything I can’t see in the iOS podcast app isn’t going to be noticed by me. I do notice the improvement in sound quality, however since you guys both have decent mics now ��

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I listen to the podcast on my phone, so anything I can’t see in the iOS podcast app isn’t going to be noticed by me. I do notice the improvement in sound quality, however since you guys both have decent mics now
Chris hasn't changed his Samson mic for over three years. The trick was mounting it on a boom with a pop filter.

I also used a Samson mic, but it was a distance away from my mouth. I could've mounted it on a boom as well with a bit of fiddling. But this Audio Technica rig feels much better, and is more fit for purpose.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.