BlahCade #166: Williams Pinball Vol 3 Interview

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Now that the Williams Pinball Vol 1 and Vol 2 Beta has run its course on iOS and Android, it's time for Zen to channel their inner Ariana and say "thank u, next" for the latest Williams Pinball DLC drop across all platforms.

Hear Mel Kirk and Thomas Crofts (apologies from Akos Györkei who had to bail early to get Zen's Twitch stream set up) lay down what we can expect from Volume 3.

For those forensic fans out there, one of the tables will not be a surprise. But there may be a couple of tables in Volume 3 that have come out of left field.

There's also some (now somewhat old, but nonetheless) awkward and uncomfortable news about Magic Pixel's Zaccaria Pinball app on Android at the end of the show.

So many pictures in the show notes. Check them out at https://blahcadepinball.com/166-zen-studios-vol-3-interview

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I don't use headphones often enough to warrant buying Bluetooth. I have an adapter, it's just sitting at home, not at work.

I don't want to (ab)use my work 'phone (GS9, still with regular jack) to listen to the podcast, but I'm tempted....

Zabu

Feb 5, 2013
Just going with some pure unfounded speculation here. Mel said the originals shifted because of things like opportunities and priorities. Last week it was announced Star Wars Pinball will be at Star Wars Celebration in Chicago in April. Might they be going to announce the Star Wars on the Switch and needed to move some people over there to get extra work done on them? Probably not, but it would be nice.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Great job guys, May release for table pack 4 would be great! Toms favourite tables are Circus Voltaire & Twilight Zone eh? AC/DC in the office too, studying light effects - Interesting........

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Great job guys, May release for table pack 4 would be great! Toms favourite tables are Circus Voltaire & Twilight Zone eh? AC/DC in the office too, studying light effects - Interesting........
Quite interesting indeed...

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
A Cactus Canyon Continued version would certainly be pretty awesome. But I recall reading on Pinside forums the creator of the mod (Eric Priepke) was pretty upset when someone began selling a p-roc setup with CCC installed for money. Up until that point the work had been offered for free and someone was now making money off their work. Can't recall what happened at the end of that but would be pretty bad if Zen went ahead with doing the mod without getting permission or compensating the author. CCC changes are pretty significant, including paying one of the original voice actors to do additional voice overs. It also might be a bit of a grey area for Williams as they're essentially modifying the original game.

But yeah that would be fantastic if they could pull that off and open it up for Bride of Pinbot 2.0, which would also be a lot of fun to have.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
A Cactus Canyon Continued version would certainly be pretty awesome. But I recall reading on Pinside forums the creator of the mod (Eric Priepke) was pretty upset when someone began selling a p-roc setup with CCC installed for money. Up until that point the work had been offered for free and someone was now making money off their work. Can't recall what happened at the end of that but would be pretty bad if Zen went ahead with doing the mod without getting permission or compensating the author. CCC changes are pretty significant, including paying one of the original voice actors to do additional voice overs. It also might be a bit of a grey area for Williams as they're essentially modifying the original game.

But yeah that would be fantastic if they could pull that off and open it up for Bride of Pinbot 2.0, which would also be a lot of fun to have.

I hadn't realized that CCC was essentially freeware until I looked it up myself a few days ago. You are absolutely right that the original author should see some compensation for his stellar work. As for the grey area, Zen has said they wouldn't change any rules for the tables. I suspect so long as they offer the original, they might be able to bend this rule. Sorta like how FarSight was able to do that with Dr Who: Masters of Time. Graphics wise, Zen can do whatever they want as shown by the enhanced versions.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
That’s funny Jeff. To be honest, I’m glad we got that c&d letter. Barcode Podcast was the easy name but wasn’t us. Especially once we dropped down to 3 or 4 voices instead of the 8 in those first few. Man, that was like herding a bunch of kittens! I feel a strong identity with BlahCade, it represents us well, and no one else can lay claim to it even accidentally.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
That’s funny Jeff. To be honest, I’m glad we got that c&d letter. Barcode Podcast was the easy name but wasn’t us. Especially once we dropped down to 3 or 4 voices instead of the 8 in those first few. Man, that was like herding a bunch of kittens! I feel a strong identity with BlahCade, it represents us well, and no one else can lay claim to it even accidentally.
And now we have got the SEO terms "pinball podcast" in the title, you can actually find the podcast if you are searching for something to listen to.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
We got a mention in the TWIP newsletter, linking to us for those wanting more info about Williams Volume 3, and seeing the logo there below Zen’s looked damn fine!

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017

Youtube's Closed Captioning just told me that your show is actually the Blockade Pimple Podcast.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

Members online

Members online