Thread: BlahCade #166: Williams Pinball Vol 3 Interview

My Devices
    Surface Book 2 and Pixel XL 2
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

BlahCade #166: Williams Pinball Vol 3 Interview

Now that the Williams Pinball Vol 1 and Vol 2 Beta has run its course on iOS and Android, it's time for Zen to channel their inner Ariana and say "thank u, next" for the latest Williams Pinball DLC drop across all platforms.

Hear Mel Kirk and Thomas Crofts (apologies from Akos Györkei who had to bail early to get Zen's Twitch stream set up) lay down what we can expect from Volume 3.

For those forensic fans out there, one of the tables will not be a surprise. But there may be a couple of tables in Volume 3 that have come out of left field.

There's also some (now somewhat old, but nonetheless) awkward and uncomfortable news about Magic Pixel's Zaccaria Pinball app on Android at the end of the show.

So many pictures in the show notes. Check them out at https://blahcadepinball.com/166-zen-...ol-3-interview
    Find me on:
    Twitter | Google+ | Blab.im | GitHub | LinkedIn

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone got a USB-C adapter for a headphone jack they can lend me? Stupid Pixel 3....
    "You've got an arm like a wet rag!" - The Dummy, Hurricane (Williams, 1991)
    "Ace of Clubs?!" - Bride of Pin*Bot, Jack*Bot (Williams, 1995)
    "You have been terminated. Have a nice day!" - Candy 2000, Safe Cracker (Williams, 1996)

Wizard Goals remaining: Safe Cracker 26 [Unique] Tokens (19/26 collected); F-14 250K Launch Bonus; Frankie 150M Creature Jackpot, Complete CREATURE

My Devices
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EldarOfSuburbia View Post
    Anyone got a USB-C adapter for a headphone jack they can lend me? Stupid Pixel 3....
    I went with Bluetooth as soon as the pixels went USB-C. The dongles hand off audio so terribly, right.
    Find me on:

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use headphones often enough to warrant buying Bluetooth. I have an adapter, it's just sitting at home, not at work.

I don't want to (ab)use my work 'phone (GS9, still with regular jack) to listen to the podcast, but I'm tempted....
    "You've got an arm like a wet rag!" - The Dummy, Hurricane (Williams, 1991)
    "Ace of Clubs?!" - Bride of Pin*Bot, Jack*Bot (Williams, 1995)
    "You have been terminated. Have a nice day!" - Candy 2000, Safe Cracker (Williams, 1996)

Wizard Goals remaining: Safe Cracker 26 [Unique] Tokens (19/26 collected); F-14 250K Launch Bonus; Frankie 150M Creature Jackpot, Complete CREATURE

My Devices
    PS3 X360 Vita PS4 Switch
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just going with some pure unfounded speculation here. Mel said the originals shifted because of things like opportunities and priorities. Last week it was announced Star Wars Pinball will be at Star Wars Celebration in Chicago in April. Might they be going to announce the Star Wars on the Switch and needed to move some people over there to get extra work done on them? Probably not, but it would be nice.

My Devices
    PC, XBox One, PS4, Galaxy S8, iPad
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job guys, May release for table pack 4 would be great! Toms favourite tables are Circus Voltaire & Twilight Zone eh? AC/DC in the office too, studying light effects - Interesting........

My Devices
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by francis247uk View Post
    Great job guys, May release for table pack 4 would be great! Toms favourite tables are Circus Voltaire & Twilight Zone eh? AC/DC in the office too, studying light effects - Interesting........
    Quite interesting indeed...
    Find me on:

My Devices
    iOS, PC
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Cactus Canyon Continued version would certainly be pretty awesome. But I recall reading on Pinside forums the creator of the mod (Eric Priepke) was pretty upset when someone began selling a p-roc setup with CCC installed for money. Up until that point the work had been offered for free and someone was now making money off their work. Can't recall what happened at the end of that but would be pretty bad if Zen went ahead with doing the mod without getting permission or compensating the author. CCC changes are pretty significant, including paying one of the original voice actors to do additional voice overs. It also might be a bit of a grey area for Williams as they're essentially modifying the original game.

But yeah that would be fantastic if they could pull that off and open it up for Bride of Pinbot 2.0, which would also be a lot of fun to have.

My Devices
    PS3, PS4, PC, iOS, Switch
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawley View Post
    A Cactus Canyon Continued version would certainly be pretty awesome. But I recall reading on Pinside forums the creator of the mod (Eric Priepke) was pretty upset when someone began selling a p-roc setup with CCC installed for money. Up until that point the work had been offered for free and someone was now making money off their work. Can't recall what happened at the end of that but would be pretty bad if Zen went ahead with doing the mod without getting permission or compensating the author. CCC changes are pretty significant, including paying one of the original voice actors to do additional voice overs. It also might be a bit of a grey area for Williams as they're essentially modifying the original game.

But yeah that would be fantastic if they could pull that off and open it up for Bride of Pinbot 2.0, which would also be a lot of fun to have.
    I hadn't realized that CCC was essentially freeware until I looked it up myself a few days ago. You are absolutely right that the original author should see some compensation for his stellar work. As for the grey area, Zen has said they wouldn't change any rules for the tables. I suspect so long as they offer the original, they might be able to bend this rule. Sorta like how FarSight was able to do that with Dr Who: Masters of Time. Graphics wise, Zen can do whatever they want as shown by the enhanced versions.
    I'm just sayin'

official BlahCade Pinball Podcast website blahcadepinball.com/episodes

subscribe to BlahCade Pinball Podcast on YouTube

buy BlahCade t-shirt at RedBubble.com

play with me on PSN, iOS, and Steam: shutyertrap

follow me on Twitter: @shutyertraps or @BlahCade

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by francis247uk View Post
    Wonder what they have been studying for the last few years with this table...

https://twitter.com/zen_studios/stat...09767656644608

My Devices
    PC, PS4 Pro, iPad Pro
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great cast as always, boys. BTW, here’s a blast from the past:

https://www.eater.com/2019/3/14/1826...k-infringement

My Devices
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That’s funny Jeff. To be honest, I’m glad we got that c&d letter. Barcode Podcast was the easy name but wasn’t us. Especially once we dropped down to 3 or 4 voices instead of the 8 in those first few. Man, that was like herding a bunch of kittens! I feel a strong identity with BlahCade, it represents us well, and no one else can lay claim to it even accidentally.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shutyertrap View Post
    That’s funny Jeff. To be honest, I’m glad we got that c&d letter. Barcode Podcast was the easy name but wasn’t us. Especially once we dropped down to 3 or 4 voices instead of the 8 in those first few. Man, that was like herding a bunch of kittens! I feel a strong identity with BlahCade, it represents us well, and no one else can lay claim to it even accidentally.
    And now we have got the SEO terms "pinball podcast" in the title, you can actually find the podcast if you are searching for something to listen to.
    Find me on:

My Devices
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We got a mention in the TWIP newsletter, linking to us for those wanting more info about Williams Volume 3, and seeing the logo there below Zen’s looked damn fine!

My Devices
    PC, PS4 Pro, iPad Pro
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! Agreed, Blahcade is a much better name anyways.

My Devices
    Vita PS3 PS4 Switch PC
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youtube's Closed Captioning just told me that your show is actually the Blockade Pimple Podcast.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Youtube's Closed Captioning just told me that your show is actually the Blockade Pimple Podcast.
    That’s just too perfect. Maybe we can get a Clearacel sponsorship out of that.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your premier podcast on pimples and how they rank on the zitside pop 100
    Find me on:

My Devices
    Steam, iOS, Oculus Rift
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredmorgs View Post
    Sounds Clearasil to me.

My Devices
    PC, PS4 Pro, iPad Pro
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s just too perfect. Maybe we can get a Clearacel sponsorship out of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredmorgs View Post
    I told my buddy to check out the cast so he could find out what all the pus was about.

My Devices
    Steam, PS4, iPad
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With your host, Dr. Pinball Popper...

Just managed to get around to the podcast. Just an observation, you mentioned that Champion Pub has the same opponents every game in the same order and VAULT letters in Safe Cracker don't carry. This seems to be consistent with how the other Williams games in Zen have behaved so far. You can't really carry a save state from one game to another because you are always returned to the Zen menu after every game, which then returns to the game state Zen uses when you start a new game. The only setting you can affect is whether you can watch the attract mode after a game ends until you hit a button. So unless that changes, randomization between games will be limited, continuity between games unlikely.

As an example, in Medieval Madness, I always get the "Saucy Wench" princess as the first one rescued in the game, where in TPA it was random. But in Attack from Mars, I do get a random country at start to defend every game. I think this is just an artifact of how Zen handles the game state and how individual games handle randomization, which will be a bigger problem with games going forward that have things carried over from one game to the next.