Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Williams Pinball App Data Collection

My Devices
    ipad, iphone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully they hire weekend help. Every time the server goes down on the weekend it seems like we have to wait until Monday for them to reboot.

My Devices
    PS3, PS4, PC, iOS, Switch
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's almost like they have the 'dump server' switch right next to the lights, and last man out flips the wrong one!
    I'm just sayin'

official BlahCade Pinball Podcast website blahcadepinball.com/episodes

subscribe to BlahCade Pinball Podcast on YouTube

buy BlahCade t-shirt at RedBubble.com

play with me on PSN, iOS, and Steam: shutyertrap

follow me on Twitter: @shutyertraps or @BlahCade

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just checked and its the same on Android (played on PC by emulating through Bluestacks - my phone is an Android smartphone but one with minimal storage space).

Happened to play it for about an hour last night while I listened to the podcast; never noticed the recycle challenge button before so just played basic challenge several times - a few took less than 30 seconds on 5 star because score target was very low. Taking into account how much time it takes to do each challenge is it not easiest to just do that to get table parts?, 2nd challenge will always take longer because of the watching an advert thing. Interesting which adverts are skippable by double-clicking on the time remaining, and which ones aren't. I've only got 1 table at level 2 (Black Rose is only about 3 table parts away from level 2 as well), got about 8 to level 1, and can't play 3rd or 4th challenges yet (if ever).

My Devices
    iPad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shutyertrap View Post
    Yeah, it's almost like they have the 'dump server' switch right next to the lights, and last man out flips the wrong one!
    Awesome

My Devices
    PlayStation 4, iPhone XR, iPad Mini 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with the servers down shouldn’t we be able to play? I thought two stars got us play offline on the tables.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbers View Post
    Taking into account how much time it takes to do each challenge is it not easiest to just do that to get table parts?, 2nd challenge will always take longer because of the watching an advert thing. I've only got 1 table at level 2 (Black Rose is only about 3 table parts away from level 2 as well), got about 8 to level 1, and can't play 3rd or 4th challenges yet (if ever).
    Surprised to hear that you have to watch ads to play the Advanced challenge still. I wonder if that is because you haven't reached level 2 most of your tables yet.

You'd have to do the math on whether playing 10 and 15 star is better than just cycling the 5 star over and over. You get on Basic 1 part for 5 star, 2 parts for 10, and 3 parts for 15 stars.

It's gonna take you getting to 3 stars I believe before you can play the Pro challenge. Don't bother with the Premium challenge as it's not worth the 200 coins for the rewards it offers up, not until you've got well over half your tables maxed.
    I'm just sayin'

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grashopper View Post
    Even with the servers down shouldn’t we be able to play? I thought two stars got us play offline on the tables.
    Well the game does have to sign you in at first to check for that option. If it can't reach the servers to do that, you're poop out of luck. One of those things nobody thinks about (consumer or developer) until it all goes tits up, so hopefully that'll also get fixed in the future.
    I'm just sayin'

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised to hear that you have to watch ads to play the Advanced challenge still. I wonder if that is because you haven't reached level 2 most of your tables yet.

You'd have to do the math on whether playing 10 and 15 star is better than just cycling the 5 star over and over. You get on Basic 1 part for 5 star, 2 parts for 10, and 3 parts for 15 stars.

It's gonna take you getting to 3 stars I believe before you can play the Pro challenge. Don't bother with the Premium challenge as it's not worth the 200 coins for the rewards it offers up, not until you've got well over half your tables maxed.
    I meant do the basic 5, 10, 15 star challenge, recycle and repeat and not bother with the advanced one with the advert. I'll have to see if the advert goes away when I get a second table to 2 stars - its always been Medieval Madness for the advanced challenge because that's the table I picked first time I ran it.

Not that I'm likely to get that far into the app, but 15 minutes now and then might get most tables to 2 stars eventually. Still have the semi-mobile option of using my laptop.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the game does have to sign you in at first to check for that option. If it can't reach the servers to do that, you're poop out of luck. One of those things nobody thinks about (consumer or developer) until it all goes tits up, so hopefully that'll also get fixed in the future.
    Yeah I just figured it saved some of your progress locally so you could actually play offline. Zen has a different idea of offline than I do.

My Devices
    iPad mini 4, iPhone 5s (iOS 12.3.1), PS3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grashopper View Post
    You can still do offline play if the servers are down (provided you have unlocked the offline play mode).

Just disconnect from Wi-Fi on your device, also disable cellular data for the Williams Pinball app since if Wi-Fi is disabled, it will try to connect via cellular as a second means to connect to the Zen servers. You do have to hit "Cancel" to continue to the offline aspect of the game if it can't connect due to no internet.
    Last edited by MadScience2006; 07-13-2019 at 06:03 PM.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScience2006 View Post
    You can still do offline play if the servers are down (provided you have unlocked the offline play mode).

Just disconnect from Wi-Fi on your device, also disable cellular data for the Williams Pinball app since if Wi-Fi is disabled, it will try to connect via cellular as a second means to connect to the Zen servers. You do have to hit "Cancel" to continue to the offline aspect of the game if it can't connect, due to no internet.
    Tried that but it now shows I have zero progress. I’m guessing when it couldn’t connect when I started it the first time it saved over the local data and now it thinks I have nothing

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Just disconnect from Wi-Fi on your device, also disable cellular data for the Williams Pinball app since if Wi-Fi is disabled, it will try to connect via cellular as a second means to connect to the Zen servers. You do have to hit "Cancel" to continue to the offline aspect of the game if it can't connect due to no internet.
    Nope, shows I don’t own a single table, have a single coin or ticket. This is probably because I already got blanked from the non server. Had I not opened the app and turned off cell data and wi-fi, then this might have worked. Too late now, gotta wait for Monday.

My Devices
    ipad, iphone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it looks like they filled that weekend position. Lol. The game is back up.

The thing about not being able to play when the server is down is that I know I can play without internet connection so why does the server being down matter? I think the app is getting some sort of information. Be it that it thinks it connects and then when it doesn’t get any info on you it reverts back to you not having unlocked anything or what? I’m curious if closing out the app and then turning on airplane mode would allow you to play or if your screwed once the app reverts until the server is back up.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine stayed screwed up. As a test I popped it up on my iPad after losing it on my phone. With airplane on it worked on the tables I had over two stars on. Loading it with airplane mode off it lost all of the tables then I closed the app and turned airplane back on and was still missing all progress.

My Devices
    ipad, iphone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang. So I guess my theory is somewhat correct. The app must reach out to the server and doesn’t check if the server is up it just probably has a time limit or something to get back info on you. When it gets nothing the app assumes you’re new and bumps you back to a new user until the server tells it otherwise. No server , no new info on you. I had noticed that the time before when this happened my app redownloaded all the tables. Hopefully the fix this soon (or stop their servers from going down so much)

My Devices
    iPad mini 4, iPhone 5s (iOS 12.3.1), PS3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, shows I don’t own a single table, have a single coin or ticket. This is probably because I already got blanked from the non server. Had I not opened the app and turned off cell data and wi-fi, then this might have worked. Too late now, gotta wait for Monday.
    I've always assumed that offline play meant just that...you could play offline on your owned tables but high scores & XP were possibly not registered and online aspects of the game were disabled.

I've also never lost the ability to play an "Owned" table in offline mode...my XP is of course reset to 1 (although I am really at 31 XP) due to no access to the servers.

I tried this just now...I turned on Airplane Mode (iOS), thus disabling all internet communications (cellular & Wi-Fi). I then ran Williams and got the following message:

"You are not connected to the internet. Leaderboards, online game modes and Privacy Settings require an active internet connection, therefore you may experience reduced functionality."

Retry | Cancel

Hitting "Cancel" will start the app with my XP reset to 1 (beginning XP level), Arcade Tickets and Zen Coins at the top menu bar display "Loading" indefinitely.

Hitting "Arcade Play" brings up all of my owned tables which I can then play at will. All other aspects of the game such as the store, Daily Challenges and Multiplayer bring up some sort of "You're not connected to the internet" message that you need to cancel out of.

I don't know if getting a high score on a table played in this offline mode will save your score, possibly in an on-device buffer until you're back online since I don't believe I've ever gotten a high score in offline mode (if I did, I didn't make note of it).
    Last edited by MadScience2006; 07-16-2019 at 07:31 AM.

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found out why I was still having the advert - app hadn't downloaded the latest version, had the vol. 4 table parts and icons but not the actual tables or the newer interface for the challenges - got an error message when White Water came up as a challenge. Updated now and no advert on second challenge.

Quickest challenge I've found is Fish Tales 1 ball basic. Get fast cast once and 5 star done; 3 fast casts and 15 star done; probably 2 fast casts for 10 star but I missed on that one.

My Devices
    PC, Oculus Rift, Nintendo Switch
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always assumed that offline play meant just that...you could play offline on your owned tables but high scores & XP were possibly not registered and online aspects of the game were disabled.

Android's 'offline' mode acts the same which seems like a bit of a swizz, if there's a server/connection issue the game won't start unless you disable the Wi-Fi / 4G connection on the device. Once you've completed that manual process you're allowed to play Grade 2+ tables offline.

Despite taking a break* I've collected all the parts and now grinding Zen coins again, Hurricane is the only table I haven't fully promoted and it's doubtful I will bother.

*What have I missed?

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Welcome back! It’s been relatively sane with collecting. I think the changes Zen made did the trick. Other than that, I’ve been posting challenge vids to YouTube to help people, and started a Twitch channel doing it live on mobile.

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Table part of the day" is now an option in the shop. Similar to the free tickets, its watch an advert and get a table part. Probably got added in the recent update.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314