Could TPA benefit from allowing users to adjust the table angle?

1adam12

Nov 28, 2017
Yeah, I assumed the "physics" are different table to table, because that is the unfortunate reality when you have multiple developers (no two devs code, solve, or workaround the same way). I am a web dev, so I don't have a lot of experience programming across multiple devices, but I do know that our mobile devs will usually try to repurpose or convert as much logic and structure as possible when programming an ios app into android, or visa versa. Game coding is very different, I realize, but I assumed the desire to repurpose must have been there for farsight, no?

Edit: to clarify, I mean are you saying that the core physics logic in, let's say, Black Hole, is different on PS4, PC, mobile, etc? By different, I don't mean adapted necessity-wise to the new language and data, but different as in completely recoded from scratch, maybe by a different dev?
That's a really interesting fact, and possibly the reason I can't find any consistency in TPA launchers. I know they're not always the same from table to table, but the range in how they differ in sensitivity is a bit much.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Yeah, I assumed the "physics" are different table to table, because that is the unfortunate reality when you have multiple developers (no two devs code, solve, or workaround the same way). I am a web dev, so I don't have a lot of experience programming across multiple devices, but I do know that our mobile devs will usually try to repurpose or convert as much logic and structure as possible when programming an ios app into android, or visa versa. Game coding is very different, I realize, but I assumed the desire to repurpose must have been there for farsight, no?

Edit: to clarify, I mean are you saying that the core physics logic in, let's say, Black Hole, is different on PS4, PC, mobile, etc? By different, I don't mean adapted necessity-wise to the new language and data, but different as in completely recoded from scratch, maybe by a different dev?

Farsight isn't sharing a unified codebase between the PS4 and iOS and Steam versions, nor would the differences in hardware warrant it. However, most of the work on a table is resources, not the underlying engine or physics, and I'm sure they share as many resources as they can between the various platforms.

I figured what you meant when I first replied. They are all different per platform and you need to keep in mind that input delay and graphical limitation differences (on each platform) impact the user experience in regard to how the physics are perceived by the player. This is where tuning is very important as shutyertrap mentions... and where Flippy Floppy used to be more involved with the table building and final table tuning, it seems Tom D has taken on this role with the Whoa Nellie and Big Buck Hunter tables.

Anyway, I'm sure all the pinball sims attempt to standardize the experience by working with the fact that a real pinball weighs 80 grams and is about 27mm in diameter and will travel within a certain range of speed on a piece of plywood angled at 6.5 degrees. I don't think it matters how they get there, just as long as the player never notices a "glitch in the matrix."

By the way, there is only one game with actual 'hands off' physics modeled in a completely engine calculated interactive environment, and that game is Pinball FX3 but ONLY with the WMS tables.

Off topic, you may want to get your feet wet in VPX table creation and tuning.

Members online

Members online