360 - Bug Funhouse. 464m. Ball one. No balls inplay or by plunger. Call attendant not working.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I have recently played Ripley's IRL and it done this to me for real, it timed down through 2 timers and started searching for the ball with all the clickers and what not. Exactly like it has done to me in-game (and obviously you and more), but the point is it's a real occurance and thats the whole reason I bought this Pinball game over all others.
Yep. The difference being, though, that if the ball is really just stuck somewhere on a physical table, this procedure actually has a chance of working, whereas if the virtual world surrounding the pinball emulation has glitched into some impossible state, there's no hope. The poor ROM thinks it's living in a sensible physical universe where balls don't just disappear, but it's not...

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
The poor ROM thinks it's living in a sensible physical universe where balls don't just disappear, but it's not...

Ha ha ha, it seems so sad when you put it like that.
efNpE.gif

diablomozart

Aug 13, 2012
in funhouse i have only encountered the glitch once...it was during the hidden hallway multiball...both balls drained down the left lane so close they were almost touching each other...that's when it went to looking for the balls and never found them..tilting the machine didn't work either...so it would seem when two balls drain in succession too close to one another the problem will arise as maybe the machine only recognizes one of the balls as draining?...hope this bit of info helps...d.m.

Mark Miwurdz

Apr 7, 2012
They could easily build in a 'quit game now and submit the score' option. Not a fix, but would ease the pain when it happens at higher scores.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
If the game isn't completed, it's not an official score.
That's the whole point. We want to have the option to immediately end the game in progress and submit the "official score", to use as a last resort if we encounter a bug that prevents us from continuing play.

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
But I'm saying you shouldn't be able to submit a score from an unfinished game. Until you see the game over screen, it's not a final score in the game. I don't care how high it is. The only way to address this is to fix the bugs.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
But I'm saying you shouldn't be able to submit a score from an unfinished game. Until you see the game over screen, it's not a final score in the game.

I don't follow your logic here. Were the game permitted to continue, the actual final score would be, at worst, the same as the score at the time of the glitch or possibly (almost certainly) higher. So if the idea of a high score is to record the highest points total that a player has ever been able to achieve, how does this not fit? It's a shame that the player was not given the opportunity to score even more points, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they have already scored however many were on the board at the time of the glitch.

Hell, even beyond glitches, I would probably use this feature for all the times when I had to turn my console off and just let the rest of my balls drain. Since picking a menu option would be faster. Actually, on this point I guess I'd rather have a state save like in the PHOF collection. But I understand that ROM emulation makes this feature more difficult to offer.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
But I'm saying you shouldn't be able to submit a score from an unfinished game. Until you see the game over screen, it's not a final score in the game. I don't care how high it is. The only way to address this is to fix the bugs.
Why not? Ending a game early is essentially the same as immediately tilting all remaining balls. If the table becomes incapable of continuing normal play, it does not follow that the player's score up to that point is somehow invalid.

And I'm not saying don't fix the bugs. But players should have the option to at least end the game with their scores/goals/achievements intact if they encounter such a bug before it can be fixed.

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
I suppose tilting the machine would in theory produce the same score, but in a tournament I'd still want to see the game over message before recording a score.

Mark Miwurdz

Apr 7, 2012
I'm betting this bug is 'baked-in' too deep into the programming to ever get a fix. The only realistic non-fix may be to offer what I proposed.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.