360 - Bug Funhouse. 464m. Ball one. No balls inplay or by plunger. Call attendant not working.

Mark Miwurdz

Apr 7, 2012
Had to tilt to maybe force something to happen. Stuck on tilt screen. Who let these clowns develop a pinball game?

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
Yeah, that's ugly.
Maybe the devs could fix this problem by implementing a timer so the ball will be automatically put into the plunger if the flippers doesn't touch it for a couple of minutes.

Last edited:

Mark Miwurdz

Apr 7, 2012
Never had this problem on the NTSC or PAL version on The Williams X Box game. Did they use that model and build in glitches? I am at the point where I can play the table indefinitely. Cannot save mid-game (MASSIVE oversight there by FS) so what confidence do I have in the game when I decide on a a marathon sesaion to post a leaderboard topping score? Man, I'm angry.

Logan812

Jul 9, 2012
Yeah, that's been kind of a known issue with FH. I'm sort of scared to play it on TPA for that reason, at least until it gets fixed.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
When this kind of thing has happened to me (on Ripley's, I think, which is an emulated table), the table software actually goes into ball-search mode. I think it'd be reasonable for TPA to assume a ball really has gotten stuck or gone missing if the table itself is in ball search: no need for a complex algorithm; the table devs have already done the hard part for you.

Of course, that strategy would depend on the table logic being emulated, which not all of them are. And it depends on whether it's easy for TPA to tell that the emulated software has gone into ball search.

Logan812

Jul 9, 2012
When this kind of thing has happened to me (on Ripley's, I think, which is an emulated table), the table software actually goes into ball-search mode. I think it'd be reasonable for TPA to assume a ball really has gotten stuck or gone missing if the table itself is in ball search: no need for a complex algorithm; the table devs have already done the hard part for you.

Of course, that strategy would depend on the table logic being emulated, which not all of them are. And it depends on whether it's easy for TPA to tell that the emulated software has gone into ball search.

I agree. They should at least fix the call attendant to reset the ball once that happens.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Ah, OK. I wasn't sure about Funhouse or Bride of Pin*Bot. (especially since Farsight had already done a pretty good scripted Funhouse for PHoF).

Huffster

Jul 31, 2012
Whoa. Bummer story Mark. I'm sure they'll look into this after reading this thread as that's quite a show stopper.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
The problem is that lost ball can be caused by many things. We recently had a lost ball happen (1st time myself or the engineer who saw it happen in 1000's of games). The issue he saw was that all the balls were "dead" (No longer in play, not in traps, etc), but the trough was missing a ball. I'm working out a way to fix this, and hopefully this is the problem people have seen.

If the ball is on the table, Call Attendent works unless the ball is colliding with the flipper, in the plunger area, or in a trap.

Like all bugs, it's nearly impossible to fix something until you can reproduce it.

Sorry Mark that you experienced this. As a gamer myself, I know how frustrating a game stopping bug can be.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
The problem is that lost ball can be caused by many things. We recently had a lost ball happen (1st time myself or the engineer who saw it happen in 1000's of games).
Seriously? I've had it happen on multiple tables, multiple times, and I've played nowhere near thousands of games.

Tabe

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Bugs require a certain series of events to occur. Because each person plays differently, the events may not happen that are necessary to reproduce the bug. The reason some people see the same bugs more often, most likely has to do with play style and reaction times. They hit the same shots a lot, etc.

When this sort of thing happens, any idea where the ball was last? Did the ball(s) in play drain and then it said they were lost, did they go into a trap, if so which ones, etc?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The problem is that lost ball can be caused by many things. We recently had a lost ball happen (1st time myself or the engineer who saw it happen in 1000's of games). The issue he saw was that all the balls were "dead" (No longer in play, not in traps, etc), but the trough was missing a ball. I'm working out a way to fix this, and hopefully this is the problem people have seen.

If the ball is on the table, Call Attendent works unless the ball is colliding with the flipper, in the plunger area, or in a trap.

Like all bugs, it's nearly impossible to fix something until you can reproduce it.
I think it would still be worthwhile to implement some user-activated feature to reset the balls to a known state. As more tables are released, each will bring the possibility of obscure bugs that will be difficult to anticipate, reproduce and fix. Having some sort of "table recovery" option in place for use when unexpected weirdness occurs would lessen the impact of these bugs on players, even if we can't identify what causes a particular issue yet. I could see where this feature might be difficult to implement, as the ROM might get confused if (for example) balls were suddenly "reset" and disappeared from physical locks, but I think the idea at least worth looking into. Of course, I just play the tables, not develop them, so feel free to disregard me if I'm heading completely off base!

Even if we just had an "end game in progress" option (with appropriate safeguards against accidental activation!) so that we could force a malfunctioning game to a semi-graceful conclusion and preserve whatever scores/goals we had attained up to the point when the problem occurred, I think players would be happier.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.