Best vertical monitor size?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Awesome intel guys. Now I feel like I need to try one. The wife and I are planning to head up to Big Bear this weekend possibly, and try some of the places that have pins. I don't know them offhand, but pinmaps showed a few, one with a lot of machines. I wonder if any of them have a digital table that I could try out.

The bar with all the pins, those are all owned by FarSight. They put them on site for people to play rather than at the studio in storage.

AcadDude

Jul 8, 2018
32" is almost too tall.

Here is a bartop setup. Vertical 32" monitor.

teOLrF8.jpg
wSbTFTz.jpg

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The "MicroCab" he is designing takes the advantages I enumerated and incorporates them into a controller console the width of a pinball machine but only a foot deep or so. I imagined a TV-tray style design, allowing it to straddle one's lap while seated, but I think he is looking at a design with a full length skirt. And it's time for me to shut my trap and let him provide corrected and updated info . . .

22" wide across the front, 8" deep front to back, 17" tall for the box itself, but standing on legs it is 37" tall. Plunger, launch button, two flipper buttons with real leaf springs and a 3rd button for activating Zen wizard bonuses, rumble motors, accelerometer for nudging (the one thing I still haven't adjusted properly), joystick for navigation and standard 4 button layout on top. Plugs in via USB and computer recognizes it as a 360 controller. Looks a little something like this...

Du1WM2uVYAAJo2u.jpg:large

AF9021-DE-0273-4-F2-F-AEF7-A9-D9327-C955-F.jpg

Attachments

• 28144552-6B0C-49C4-84B7-CC237059D0A3.jpg
    28144552-6B0C-49C4-84B7-CC237059D0A3.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019

Dude, that's great! I love it.

Your mention of the Wizard button reminded me of something. Does anyone know how the hell to use magnasave on Black Knight in TPA? I have tried numerous buttons to no avail.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Dude, that's great! I love it.

Your mention of the Wizard button reminded me of something. Does anyone know how the hell to use magnasave on Black Knight in TPA? I have tried numerous buttons to no avail.

You're close enough to me that the shipping cost could be waved by having local pickup. Just sayin'.

If you are using L1/R1 to flip, it should be L2/R2. You might first have to go into control setup though and separate the two because sometimes the game auto sets to use any of those buttons for flipping. You need them separated like that too for Starship Troopers.

Last edited:

Gusbomb

Jun 15, 2018
You're close enough to me that the shipping cost could be waved by having local pickup. Just sayin'.

If you are using L1/R1 to flip, it should be L2/R2. You might first have to go into control setup though and separate the two because sometimes the game auto sets to use any of those buttons for flipping. You need them separated like that too for Starship Troopers.

I play with an Xbox controller, which works the same way: flippers are the larger (bottom) triggers and magnasave is the smaller (top) triggers. My question is this: Does anyone know how the hell to /remember/ to use magnasave on Black Knight in TPA? Never once for me.

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019

My wife has been cool with my pinball obsession thus far. If I brought that home...probably not so much. When the teenager heads off to college in a couple years, and I can make his room into my music studio/man cave, I'll probably have freedom to do whatever I want short of TnA posters.

tandigab

Feb 15, 2018
This Asus doesn't view well from the bottom angle. So, when it is portrait (turned clockwise), if I lean to the left at all (the left being what would be the bottom) the picture gets bad. So, I have to literally sit directly in front of it while playing, although leaning right is ok, lol. A little annoying, but it was only $189, so I guess I can't expect perfect picture from all angles.

Is that monitor with TN panel? The same problem is here, I bought a LG monitor with TN and when it's rotated it sucks. :(
Never buy a TN monitor if you want to rotate it to portrait mode. Buy one with IPS panel instead.

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
Is that monitor with TN panel? The same problem is here, I bought a LG monitor with TN and when it's rotated it sucks. :(
Never buy a TN monitor if you want to rotate it to portrait mode. Buy one with IPS panel instead.

Ah, good intel, thanks.

Edit: yes it is a TN. Forgot to answer

Last edited:

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
I've created montages showing how table view 2 is affected by various screen orientations and aspect ratios.
Left: 16:9 Portrait | Centre 16:9 Landscape | Right 16:10 Portrait (Note: full size images are around 4mb).

Attack From Mars

Fish Tales

Theatre of Magic

It's interesting what you can achieve with custom resolutions and arguably I prefer the overhead table view.

Notes: My native resolution is 3840x2160, I then calculated 1215x2160 for 16:9 portrait / 1350x2160 for 16:10.
My screen is 50" Landscape and the image generated is equivalent to a 28-29" portrait screen.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Looks like you’ve made a good argument for the 16x10 monitor! Wonder what happens when we get a widebody table?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.