Best vertical monitor size?

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
I run a 24' vertical monitor. Asus VG245H: 1080p, 75hz, 1ms. It looks pretty good, but on some tables the outer edges of the tables are cut off. It mostly affects habitrails that go out wide, which doesn't affect the gameplay, but I have been wondering if a 27' vertical monitor might be the better choice for resolution to show the whole table? Does anyone have any experience with this?

lio

Jul 24, 2013
Not really. It comes down to aspect ratio.
Your best bet in that regard would probably be a 24" 16:10 screen with 1920x1200 resolution (instead of 16:9 1920x1080).
I have a 27" screen and I find portrait mode quite large to comfortably sit infront at regular screen distance.

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
Not really. It comes down to aspect ratio.
Your best bet in that regard would probably be a 24" 16:10 screen with 1920x1200 resolution (instead of 16:9 1920x1080).
I have a 27" screen and I find portrait mode quite large to comfortably sit infront at regular screen distance.

Thanks [MENTION=3222]lio[/MENTION]. What's the AR on your 27'? Does it trim if you run it vertical in recommended rez?

Klopek

Apr 29, 2012
Here's mine on a 16:9 monitor on view 1. Presumably yours is the same as this?
https://ibb.co/m4F2Vnp

Does anybody have a 16:10 vertical screenshot that they can share? I never even thought about the implications of this.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I can load the image from that link. It's a large size though. It might be loading slowly for you.

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
Does anybody have a 16:10 vertical screenshot that they can share? I never even thought about the implications of this.

I'll try and post one soon, I've got a 24" 1920x1200 (16:10) screen though it's not currently connected.
My latest GPU doesn't have DVI so I'll have to find an adaptor.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Paying attention because I eventually want a monitor I can rotate too.

Unless you're rocking an old CRT, you should be able to just get a rotating stand for your current monitor, whatever the size. I have a 27" that I got a rotating stand for a few years back, and I'd have a hard time going back to playing pinball in landscape again.

Gusbomb

Jun 15, 2018
I am very happy with my 28" Acer HD monitor, rotated to portrait, for FX3 and TPA. I think it was $250 at BestBuy. I shared some pictures with Chris when I got it last spring, which he is welcome to post if he keeps such things. (I don't think I can post photos here - - URL challenged). I have my DMD on the screen of my laptop and back glass on a 23" (?) Acer that I think was $100. If anybody really wants to see photos and can tell me an easy way to post them, I'll be glad to take some detail shots of the HD monitor.

Gusbomb

Jun 15, 2018
Unless you're rocking an old CRT, you should be able to just get a rotating stand for your current monitor, whatever the size. I have a 27" that I got a rotating stand for a few years back, and I'd have a hard time going back to playing pinball in landscape again.

I, too, can no longer bear to play in landscape. I was exuberant playing TPA on my 27" Mac Retina display (landscape), the fun of which led me to buy the FX3 catalogue and the rig I just mentioned with the 28" HD in portrait orientation. I can't play on my landscape monitor anymore, not even dragging Mac-specific issues into the equation.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I run a 27” ROG Swift at 2560 x 1440 120Hz. I would run at 144Hz but find it causes more audio desync with FX3.

Strangely, although I enjoy playing portrait, I have reverted back to almost always playing in landscape. I remember seeing a video ages ago with a developer at Zen saying landscape was his preferred method too, since that was how the game was originally designed. I thought it strange at the time but can definitely understand it now.

27” is good. I would go bigger if I could but size isn’t everything! ;)

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
On the 27, do some of the habitrails that go off the table get cut off? That happens to me in the 24'. I went back and forth with landscape and portait, but after playing portrait, the only two camera angles I can stand on landscape is 1w, and 2.

The 24' is pretty decent. In portrait I do notice myself looking up and down following the ball, which I think might be too much on the old neck going beyond 27'. Although I have seen people lay the monitor back a bit, which would mitigate that issue.

This Asus doesn't view well from the bottom angle. So, when it is portrait (turned clockwise), if I lean to the left at all (the left being what would be the bottom) the picture gets bad. So, I have to literally sit directly in front of it while playing, although leaning right is ok, lol. A little annoying, but it was only $189, so I guess I can't expect perfect picture from all angles.

Gusbomb

Jun 15, 2018
msilcommand, Those issues of viewing angle are really squirrelly. I initially had my 3-monitor rig on one desk and experienced some of the problems you mention. I moved everything to a different desk with a different chair and am completely happy. I sit directly in front of the 28" 4K vertical monitor, with the DMD and back glass monitors stacked to the left. I am completely comfortable, don't need to move my head or neck, and everything looks great. I only use Views 1, 1W and maybe occasionally 2. Sometimes I tip the bottom of the main monitor in or out a little, but I'm not sure if that's because of the game or my seated posture at the moment. I will be getting a cabinet and am trying not to focus on the probability that I'll never be this comfortable again. (cue Micro Cab . . . )

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
On the 27, do some of the habitrails that go off the table get cut off?

Not that I can think of, but if you can name a specific table I can check. Adventure Land looks fine on table view 1 for instance. I run a 27" at 1440x2560 in FX3 and the only table issue I can recall is with Starfighter Assault. Namely the video modes don't display quite right, making them more difficult, and you don't get the full effect of the enemy capital ship pulling up next to your table.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I will be getting a cabinet and am trying not to focus on the probability that I'll never be this comfortable again. (cue Micro Cab . . . )

Huh? What? Someone looking to make a purchase? I'll have pricing soon, I swear! And I've already got one person seriously interested, so if I could line up at least 4 more it would help on cost.

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
What are the advantages of playing via a large screen that's laying down and that you have to stand over? I can see it being a game cave thing, but for personal use it doesn't make any sense to me. Might as well just sit comfortably for digital, and buy a real pin for social, no?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
What are the advantages of playing via a large screen that's laying down and that you have to stand over? I can see it being a game cave thing, but for personal use it doesn't make any sense to me. Might as well just sit comfortably for digital, and buy a real pin for social, no?

It's an immersion thing. If you've ever played on a video pinball cab, it's amazing how quickly your mind adjusts to thinking it's real. I have my Micro Cab with real flipper buttons, plunger, and correct height as I'm standing, and it's interesting how your play changes. I'm only tilting my screen back a bit in landscape mode, but if I an arm to rotate the screen and play in cabinet view, I'd totally prefer to lay it more flat and sell the illusion. It also prevents you from having to move your neck up and down, instead just tracking with your eyes like you'd do on a real machine.

Gusbomb

Jun 15, 2018

Features vary from builder-to-builder, but some advantages that appeal to me are things like the tactile benefits of a real mechanical plunger, physical old-fashioned nudging of a real cabinet that can be fine-tuned to suit the user, and a genuine DMD screen right in the easy-to-see location that it ought to be. BUT! Shutyertrap and I secretly agree that we really prefer to sit in the comfy chair. The "MicroCab" he is designing takes the advantages I enumerated and incorporates them into a controller console the width of a pinball machine but only a foot deep or so. I imagined a TV-tray style design, allowing it to straddle one's lap while seated, but I think he is looking at a design with a full length skirt. And it's time for me to shut my trap and let him provide corrected and updated info . . .

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
Awesome intel guys. Now I feel like I need to try one. The wife and I are planning to head up to Big Bear this weekend possibly, and try some of the places that have pins. I don't know them offhand, but pinmaps showed a few, one with a lot of machines. I wonder if any of them have a digital table that I could try out.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.