Jersey Jack Pinball

1adam12

Nov 28, 2017
I apologise if this has been brought up. I couldn't find anything in a search. Any word on whether or not Jersey Jack tables might get the digital treatment?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Who knows for sure, but definitively not likely for the foreseeable future. No one has acquired the license yet and their highend hardware is going to be tricky to emulate.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
When asked, the response has been "It doesn't fit into our business model and I don't see how it would ever make any sense."

p.s. People that purchase brand new pinball machines like the kind that JJP produces have little to no desire for digital pinball video games (even the VR kind). Plus it would exponentially increase the third party licensing costs if digital distribution and the eternal half-life associated with such things were attached to the physical table agreement.

Last edited:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Cost of the license wouldn't be the thing that stops them getting made (Dialed In for example would only need a JJP license and not a third-party one as well). It doesn't seem feasible to do them on mobile (or at least not in the near-ish future) which reduces the potential market - that could be solved by charging more per table on the other platforms. The harder problem to solve is how to build the technology to emulate them in the first place - that would be a cost that could only be spread over a few tables rather than dozens like is happening with the WMS tables.

Also, with all the extra video/sound assets they use has anyone estimated how much storage space a single (JJP or recent Stern) table would require? If its something like 2GB per table that would probably be manageable for all, but I'd be concerned it could be more than 10x that; that said I do have Hitman 2 installed which takes 110GB so wouldn't be a problem for me, but not everyone has 1TB+ drives and no broadband download caps.

Kind of thinking that if I want an extended play on JJP Hobbit that they cost £5.5-£6K - hoping that one may be at Play Expo in Manchester that I'm going to in a month (entrance ticket £18, and train ticket about the same!); there was one at Blackpool last year.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Cost of the license wouldn't be the thing that stops them getting made (Dialed In for example would only need a JJP license and not a third-party one as well). It doesn't seem feasible to do them on mobile (or at least not in the near-ish future) which reduces the potential market - that could be solved by charging more per table on the other platforms. The harder problem to solve is how to build the technology to emulate them in the first place - that would be a cost that could only be spread over a few tables rather than dozens like is happening with the WMS tables.

Also, with all the extra video/sound assets they use has anyone estimated how much storage space a single (JJP or recent Stern) table would require? If its something like 2GB per table that would probably be manageable for all, but I'd be concerned it could be more than 10x that; that said I do have Hitman 2 installed which takes 110GB so wouldn't be a problem for me, but not everyone has 1TB+ drives and no broadband download caps.

Kind of thinking that if I want an extended play on JJP Hobbit that they cost £5.5-£6K - hoping that one may be at Play Expo in Manchester that I'm going to in a month (entrance ticket £18, and train ticket about the same!); there was one at Blackpool last year.

Emulate? Why? They run on a low-end PC system in the physical pinball machine, using an i3 (clutching my pearls) with integrated video graphics.

Oh and The Hobbit is just a little bit more than 5GB in size. And if you were to digitize all the physical elements in 4k resolution, you would probably be in the 7GB total size for a complete video game version of the table.

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
That's more than the size of Timeshock ULTRA alone! Sheesh, and that much for one table by itself -- for just one, it outsizes the entirety of Pinball FX3!

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
That's more than the size of Timeshock ULTRA alone! Sheesh, and that much for one table by itself -- for just one, it outsizes the entirety of Pinball FX3!

Exactly, plus Dialed In would be the only possibility. The licenses for the others would cost a fortune. Not gonna happen.

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018

I went to Blackpool Play Expo last year, it was fantastic though getting home to Lancaster was a nightmare when I discovered the train situation. Spent most of my time playing pinball though I also chatted with Jeff Minter & Giles (Llamasoft) for a good hour.

I'll be going the Manchester Expo on Sat 4th May, hopefully see you there!

trash80

Dec 14, 2018

Apples to Oranges? It would make more sense to compare the size to The Hobbit Movie BluRay or a game that has 3 hours of HD cutscenes.

All their games use the 27" back screen for basically an interactive HD movie. Dialed In in the smallest with 3GB of compressed data and Oz is the largest with a little over 6GB. The system is just an MSI consumer PC mainboard with either a Celeron (Dialed In) or i3 (later games) and runs a pretty simple Linux OS. I know of some machines that have already needed a mainboard swap (sound issues) and I can't imagine any of these machines having a lifespan of more than a few years just due to the hardware being used.

If you were really attempting to digitize the whole table and repackage the resources for something like a TPA format and target platforms, you could easily get the complete game down to below a couple GB total.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I went to Blackpool Play Expo last year, it was fantastic though getting home to Lancaster was a nightmare when I discovered the train situation. Spent most of my time playing pinball though I also chatted with Jeff Minter & Giles (Llamasoft) for a good hour.

I'll be going the Manchester Expo on Sat 4th May, hopefully see you there!

Its May 4th (Star Wars day) that I've booked for as well - ended up being a moot choice as there are trains at sensible times on Saturday, but not on the Sunday - bus replacement as far as Preston on West Coast mainline so longer travel times, but still prefer that over trying to park in middle of Manchester. I'm from Penrith (walking distance to the station which helps), so 2 stops north of you. I drove to Blackpool last year (free parking nearby), what was the problem you had with the train then?

If you haven't already booked your ticket you get the 10% off by booking through Northern Lights Pinball and using the code sent in their newsletter (I can PM you if you need it).

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
Its May 4th (Star Wars day) that I've booked for as well - ended up being a moot choice as there are trains at sensible times on Saturday, but not on the Sunday - bus replacement as far as Preston on West Coast mainline so longer travel times, but still prefer that over trying to park in middle of Manchester. I'm from Penrith (walking distance to the station which helps), so 2 stops north of you. I drove to Blackpool last year (free parking nearby), what was the problem you had with the train then?

If you haven't already booked your ticket you get the 10% off by booking through Northern Lights Pinball and using the code sent in their newsletter (I can PM you if you need it).

I'm also 5-10 minutes from my nearest station which usually makes these excursions relatively painless. The problem with the Blackpool trip was strike action in the evening, I took the tram back to the station and to my surprise it was closed. I found myself in an unfamiliar area in the freezing cold with a flat mobile phone. Very disappointed the ticket office and website didn't inform me about potential issues with the return journey. Aside from that, great day! :D

Members online

Members online