Tournament difficulty ranks

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
After about 3 hours of work on tournament difficulty on Attack from Mars (PS4), I clawed to #48 (all time), and #1 (weekly), with 2,633M. It's really friggin hard. Come knock me out, and post your max difficulty ranks here.

My name is msilcommand on PS4 and PC. I just opened the ps4 account, because my old name was Snuggiemare (waking up sweating from a nightmare stuck in a Snuggie), and I got sick of it, and wanted continuity across my accounts.

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
Our scores are very close, currently sitting pretty at #46 with 2,898m (AFM/Tour).
I was probably cursing when that final ball drained, painfully close to 3,000m... :rolleyes:

My highest position on Tournament mode is ToM #19.

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
Our scores are very close, currently sitting pretty at #46 with 2,898m (AFM/Tour).
I was probably cursing when that final ball drained, painfully close to 3,000m... :rolleyes:

My highest position on Tournament mode is ToM #19.

I know the pain! When I drained on my hs, I had the saucer open to destroy a 3rd time. I bricked and it went right down the right out lane.

Tournament mode is the only setting I consistently curse on.

I really think Zen should go with Normal, Hard (arcade), Expert (what is now tourn physics, but without extra balls off), and then Tournament.

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
Tournament mode is the only setting I consistently curse on.

Nothing makes me more angry than the Fish Tales bump. That right orbit descent is the worst thing I've ever seen in pinball and I still don't believe it exists on the real table. There's no damn evidence that happens, I truly despise it ;)

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
Nothing makes me more angry than the Fish Tales bump. That right orbit descent is the worst thing I've ever seen in pinball and I still don't believe it exists on the real table. There's no damn evidence that happens, I truly despise it ;)

Does it happen on every physics setting? I assume there must be some kind of bump on the right orbit descent that sends the ball down the center drain? I haven't gotten into that table much. I just play it here and there carelessly. So, I haven't noticed it.

I did notice in tournament mode (real-world physics emulation) that there are some pretty harsh orbit descents that catch the edge of either the top or bottom slingshot post, and head straight down the center. I haven't played any of these pins when they were brand new, so I don't know personally if it is accurate. I have to adjust by nudging any time it looks headed to clip a post and try to make it veer, although that often results in a few moments of ball slinging chaos that can lead to out lane drains anyway. I sort of started avoiding the orbits in tourn mode, when possible, because they are a bit dangerous

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
I play on Switch rather than Steam. Is there a thread for us Switch users to exchange friend codes? I'll have a look about and see if I can find one in the platform specific section.

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
I play on Switch rather than Steam. Is there a thread for us Switch users to exchange friend codes? I'll have a look about and see if I can find one in the platform specific section.

I went through most of the forum just searching the word "switch". Whew! But there are no threads that list Switch user tags, not even in the TPA section for platforms.

The Zen forum is pretty slim still, just the general one and the "tables" one. Maybe it's time to grow that a little?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The Zen forum is pretty slim still, just the general one and the "tables" one. Maybe it's time to grow that a little?

What would you have added? Gord just went through the site 6 months back and cleaned it up significantly. Zen didn’t even have its own featured section then like it does now.

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
What would you have added? Gord just went through the site 6 months back and cleaned it up significantly. Zen didn’t even have its own featured section then like it does now.

Platform specific, with subs for each platform? I don't know if the forum is busy enough to fill it up, so you guys would know better.

Maybe also in "other" an international section for folks from outside the US? Again, you guys know better than me though.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, there's not enough traffic to warrant that many splits. When things get that divided, the individual threads can't support it. Zaccaria had a section to itself and it was a freakin' ghost town. Throwing it under the general 'other digital pinball' has at least given it a shot of life. There was discussion about doing the individual tables again, like it is in the TPA section, but other than Zen specific comments, most everything that could be said about those tables already has been. And fortunately Zen is pretty good at having parity across platforms, so all the consoles and PC discussions are relevant to each other, as opposed to TPA where things varied wildly platform to platform.

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
Not really sure whether to or even where to create a new thread for Switch players to exchange friend codes, compete for scores. If I do make one and it is deemed incorrect, feel free to just remove it. Cool?

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
I don’t think I’ve ever seen one for Switch. Feel free to start a thread for it!

Ok, having read through the subsequent posts here, I've created this thread http://www.digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/14028-Digital-Pinball-Competitions

I've encouraged Switch users to exchange friend codes but also, as reflected here, tried to open it up to all platforms for friendly competitions and score chasing opportunities across a number of digital pinball games not just PBFX3.

Let me know if you have any objections buddy.

Last edited:

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
To bring this thread on home...

I suck so hard at Fish Tales in tournament mode. I wonder if it is just knowing the flippers are shorter that gets in my head, but I feel like 90% of the time I am playing that table on tournament difficulty, I am just juggling to get control of the ball, or throwing bricks at the ramps.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.