Star Wars Pinball for Switch - Coming Sept 13th 2019

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Since it's being released as a cartridge too, I'm wondering if the pricing is going to be that of a standard game at $60 for all 19 tables. Considering it'd normally be $10 for a 3 pack, that'd be 18 tables for that price plus the always free Empire rounding it out. Or will it be value priced at around $40?

Also interesting that they are adding in the mode from mobile where you choose light or dark side. Do gotta wonder if this is it for them then with Star Wars tables or do they continue with EP IX.

Does this also mean the Marvel tables will follow in similar fashion?

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
I'm hoping for $40, but since the Marvel Pinball Vol. 1 pack was $30 for 10 tables on PS4 and Xbox, $60 seems more likely. Anyway it's good news that more tables are headed to the Switch, I'm just crossing my fingers on an update to their VR package next.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Hopefully Marvel is next.

Don't see why Disney would approve one and not the other.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hopefully Marvel is next next.

Don't see why Disney would approve one and not the other.

Here's my thinking...

I thought it odd that Zen would announce something so many months from release, wondering if it had anything at all to do with the fact there'll be a physical product too, not just digital. More likely though is that Star Wars Celebration Chicago was the perfect place to make an announcement, but sales would make sense closer to when EP IX gets released. The hype train for that will no doubt start in earnest around September for it's December release, so Zen is probably wanting to use that to their advantage.

As for Marvel tables, I'd bet there's a deal in place that probably was approved around the same time. You want to let each release have its moment to shine though. Now by my math, we should have Volume 6 sometime in August, and that would be the last of the non licensed DMD (assuming they are doing only DMD tables for the next 3 releases). A month later they release Star Wars to Switch, and then who knows what will be in store for Williams Pinball after that. If SS/Alpha Numerics start coming, and it's on that 6-8 week schedule, October would be next release followed by mid December. There isn't another Marvel movie coming until 2020, and Zen doesn't seem to be making those tables anymore either, but if anything they'll target that next release and time the Switch version of those tables for around that same time.

So pay attention to what the plans are for the MCU post Endgame (and not named Spider-Man), and pencil in the Marvel pack around whatever that movie will be.

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
It sounds decent enough and I should use my Switch more. Mine's gathering dust, I last used it in December for Smash Bros but it didn't really appeal. When I go on trips I'm usually well covered with my phone & Ultrabook so the Switch rarely leaves home. Releases like this are often hard to justify but at the right price I would be interested.

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
Very happy to see this is also getting a physical release, STERN PINBALL will now have some company on my Switch games shelf :eek:

I'd like to see the Marvel tables also receive this treatment not too mention physical editions of the uncensored Wlliams/Bally tables once they've built up a substantial library.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
It sounds decent enough and I should use my Switch more. Mine's gathering dust, I last used it in December for Smash Bros but it didn't really appeal. When I go on trips I'm usually well covered with my phone & Ultrabook so the Switch rarely leaves home. Releases like this are often hard to justify but at the right price I would be interested.

I find the advantage of taking the Switch for travel gaming as opposed to my phone/tablet/3ds is that I can hijack an HDMI port on most hotel TVs, and boom, big screen gaming on the road. Multiple controllers pack well, so it works just as well travelling with my family as just by myself. I tend to load up on Switch games mostly before heavy travel times for that reason.

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019

I'm very likely in the minority, at least on these boards judging by the activity in the Williams Pinball App thread and listening to the fellas on BlahCade, but I seldom ever use my phone or laptop to game. I vastly prefer using the Nintendo Switch for pinball and any other gaming. I tend to play docked but love the versatility of being able to play handheld or in TATE mode if desired. If I'm going somewhere and have reservations taking the Switch with me, I take my 3DS or PSVita. Hell, I'd still take my old DSLite to play games on over using a phone. Just personal habit and preference is all.

I have gone ahead and installed all the main pinball apps on my iPad and iPhone but never feel the need or feel compelled to play the games that way. They just feel like 'free-to-play' but with 'in-app purchases' version-lite iterations and not the proper full games. I'm purely speaking about my own feelings towards gaming on mobile and happily concede that I may be factually incorrect and that no, pinball on mobile is where it's at but give me a console like the Switch any day.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I’m primarily a Steam player with pinball, but I’m sorta obsessed with earning all the tables fully unlocked for free on Williams pinball. If the Switch was mine and not my son’s, I’d make be me more inclined to use that as my mobile platform. Jared is almost convinced of doing just that.

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
Since it's being released as a cartridge too, I'm wondering if the pricing is going to be that of a standard game at $60 for all 19 tables. Considering it'd normally be $10 for a 3 pack, that'd be 18 tables for that price plus the always free Empire rounding it out. Or will it be value priced at around $40?

Also interesting that they are adding in the mode from mobile where you choose light or dark side. Do gotta wonder if this is it for them then with Star Wars tables or do they continue with EP IX.

Does this also mean the Marvel tables will follow in similar fashion?

I guess there is always the danger of too much of a good thing. They have managed to keep their Star Wars tables at around 90% good. Their Marvel tables, imho, are maybe 60-70% good. Too many weak tables.

I think on FX3, the most value is in the Williams and Star Wars tables.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I'm very likely in the minority, at least on these boards judging by the activity in the Williams Pinball App thread and listening to the fellas on BlahCade, but I seldom ever use my phone or laptop to game. I vastly prefer using the Nintendo Switch for pinball and any other gaming. I tend to play docked but love the versatility of being able to play handheld or in TATE mode if desired. If I'm going somewhere and have reservations taking the Switch with me, I take my 3DS or PSVita. Hell, I'd still take my old DSLite to play games on over using a phone. Just personal habit and preference is all.

I have gone ahead and installed all the main pinball apps on my iPad and iPhone but never feel the need or feel compelled to play the games that way. They just feel like 'free-to-play' but with 'in-app purchases' version-lite iterations and not the proper full games. I'm purely speaking about my own feelings towards gaming on mobile and happily concede that I may be factually incorrect and that no, pinball on mobile is where it's at but give me a console like the Switch any day.

I don't like phone/tablet/laptop gaming either.

I used to primarily play pinball on PC and Sony systems. I've also moved more to Switch recently.

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
I don't like phone/tablet/laptop gaming either.

I used to primarily play pinball on PC and Sony systems. I've also moved more to Switch recently.

How is the switch? I've avoided Nintendo's products since game cube, but the WiiU looked ok, so I assume switch is good. Only played it in a store. How are the game choices?

Plungemaster

Apr 19, 2018
The Switch has taken over first position on my list for best console ever. Gameboy at 2 now.

The Switch is awesome, and when you love retro gaming it is a wet dream.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
How is the switch? I've avoided Nintendo's products since game cube, but the WiiU looked ok, so I assume switch is good. Only played it in a store. How are the game choices?

I thought I would hate the Wii U, and I did. I thought I would hate the Switch, but I love it.

They're still $300. You can BIN one on ebay for about $275, or wait for an auction to snatch one up for about $250.

It has been heavily rumored that a cheaper version (and a more expensive version) will be announced this year.

Game selection depends on what you like. As Plungemaster said, it's loaded with retro games. And lots of good gen 5-7 ports. Of course for new games you have the usual Nintendo IPs and some multiplats, more than most past Nintendo systems had. Probably best to just browse for yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nintendo_Switch-only_games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_Archives
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Ages#Nintendo_Switch

They have some quirks. They heat up a bit too much sometimes and don't have great battery life. I used to occasionally get an error that'd close out whatever game was running, but that hasn't happened to me in quite a while now, so I think they might have that dealt with. But overall I've had no major problems with mine, and it's a day 1 model.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014

Well... Zelda: Breath Of The Wild is easily in the "Best Game Ever" conversation. The portability aspect is also important. It's far more powerful than any other handheld, and if you take an HDMI cable with you, you can plug it into any TV you come across.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Flip Grip works with Zaccaria as well.

Not holding my breath on ever being able to use it for TPA/SPA. I don't even remember when the last Switch update was for either of those. TPA Switch never even got the last two tables.

Members online

Members online