Zen & Stern collaboration teaser?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
You should ask Mel if Stern and Zen will combine assets to bring further video game elements into their physical table releases. It would make sense to me for Stern to utilize a partnership with a studio like (considering the much lower overhead) Zen to really enhance the interactivity of the backglass screen and who knows... What if Zen had Stern release a real table of one of their designs like the Champions League table?!?!?!

Zen designer Thomas Crofts when asked, and I completely agree, said that Super League Football and Aliens would make for fantastic real world tables! I'll have to see where that conversation goes with Mel, and how much I'll even be able to make public. If you see me in the coming weeks being exceedingly tight lipped in the forum, you'll know why :D

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Zen designer Thomas Crofts when asked, and I completely agree, said that Super League Football and Aliens would make for fantastic real world tables! I'll have to see where that conversation goes with Mel, and how much I'll even be able to make public. If you see me in the coming weeks being exceedingly tight lipped in the forum, you'll know why :D

;)

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018

If that happens just say you've put your hat on again (as in your proverbial hat to keep secrets under that you had when you knew Zen was getting the WMS license).

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
Yeah, it's tough creating an original IP and then getting people to buy into it. I think that's why Zen did so many licenses with just a smattering of original IPs after they started doing Marvel. I mean they have to create all the art assets, come up with story, and then design a table.

I totally dig. It's just that creativity drives progress and innovation, and that process, although arduous, is part of what keeps companies fresh and progressing; and conversely, the absence of that creative grind is what often leads to companies becoming stale and non-competitive...cough...far...what. It's pretty standard. The danger of too much creativity is mainly just for young companies on a razor-thin budget, but ZEN seems to be long past that. So, to stay fresh and progressive, they need to keep a fair portion of their team on that creative grind. After all, that is what made them, not emulation.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I get what you’re saying, but Zen has other games than pinball so the lack of creativity isn’t an issue. They are now more synergistic, looking to share assets between departments. That’s why I’m saying we’ll probably see Operencia as a table soon, as it’s getting a lot of love for being a well made old school dungeon crawler. It was conceived and developed totally in-house, so all that’s left on the pinball side of things is to design layout and create rules. This was similarly done with Castle Storm.

It’s funny cuz I’m just now looking at pics of JJP’s Wonka table, and my first thought was “boy that looks a lot like the layout of Dialed In”, only for moments later to discover it too is a Lawlor design. So sometimes innovation and creativity just means toying with similar ideas and seeing how many different combinations they can be put in.

I’m not worried about Zen running out of ideas simply because they’re doing recreations for a while.

msilcommand

Mar 22, 2019
I get what you’re saying, but Zen has other games than pinball so the lack of creativity isn’t an issue. They are now more synergistic, looking to share assets between departments. That’s why I’m saying we’ll probably see Operencia as a table soon, as it’s getting a lot of love for being a well made old school dungeon crawler. It was conceived and developed totally in-house, so all that’s left on the pinball side of things is to design layout and create rules. This was similarly done with Castle Storm.

It’s funny cuz I’m just now looking at pics of JJP’s Wonka table, and my first thought was “boy that looks a lot like the layout of Dialed In”, only for moments later to discover it too is a Lawlor design. So sometimes innovation and creativity just means toying with similar ideas and seeing how many different combinations they can be put in.

I’m not worried about Zen running out of ideas simply because they’re doing recreations for a while.

Good intel and insight, as always. Thanks

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Farsight could at least update the codes on ac/dc and star trek. They've promised and "soon" and everything forever but still nothing. I'm pretty sure those 2 have their final codes now IRL. This has been totally neglected and completely forgotten. Yeah I know, I'm beating a dead horse. I'll just get back to not caring.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Farsight could at least update the codes on ac/dc and star trek. They've promised and "soon" and everything forever but still nothing. I'm pretty sure those 2 have their final codes now IRL. This has been totally neglected and completely forgotten. Yeah I know, I'm beating a dead horse. I'll just get back to not caring.

When those tables were released Farsight said "That's it, that is code we have, there will never be any code updates." You can read into that and come up on you own with why they made that statement, but it is a dead horse, so who cares.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
When those tables were released Farsight said "That's it, that is code we have, there will never be any code updates." You can read into that and come up on you own with why they made that statement, but it is a dead horse, so who cares.

When have Farsight said this? I’m pretty sure they said “yes, we can update the code.” (Which probably means “we can, but we won’t,” but it isn’t a no)

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Every time I asked them when they stream on twitch about code update, they said very soon and just couple weeks. Pretty sure thay've said it in other circumstances too, as obvious selling points like when real code updates, naturally they update too. Never heard anything else.

Last edited:

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
When have Farsight said this? I’m pretty sure they said “yes, we can update the code.” (Which probably means “we can, but we won’t,” but it isn’t a no)

When I have asked them in person, the response has always been "This is the game code Stern gave us, this is all we have, this is all there is going to be." Unless Stern is going to pay Farsight to do an update (which they won't) what we have now is what there will always be.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Every time I asked them when they stream on twitch about code update, they said very soon and just couple weeks. Pretty sure thay've said it in other circumstances too, as obvious selling points like when real code updates, naturally they update too. Never heard anything else.

Game ROM code updates from Stern, not just updates to the Farsight side of things to fix bugs.

The guys on the stream (Mike) don't say anything that hasn't already been approved to be said, and I have never seen on Twitch anyone from Farsight ever indicate there would be game ROM code updates. They may have said that they COULD, but that would require Stern to foot the bill which isn't going to happen.

Keep in mind that the Oculus version that was just released in October of 2018 uses the same code versions as all the other platforms that were released back in December of 2016.

Last edited:

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
I'm talking about game rom too. Weird, cause all answers they gave me and all I've heard from them in the past was that they'll update ROM when new roms are released from stern and yes they said they were working on it "as we speak" and it was just around the corner when I asked during stream a good couple months ago.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
I'm talking about game rom too. Weird, cause all answers they gave me and all I've heard from them in the past was that they'll update ROM when new roms are released from stern and yes they said they were working on it "as we speak" and it was just around the corner when I asked during stream a good couple months ago.

Actions speak louder than words. Game ROM has never been updated from the initial release which is getting close to being three years ago. And there hasn't been a Farsight update since November 2017, and that was just an attempt to fix the store problems, which were never actually fixed.

Last edited:

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
Full steam ahead on real tables. I'd prefer they design originals around the real pinball licences so everybody is happy. Just need JJP and capcom and I'm a happy flipper.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.