Planet Coaster (with added pinball!)

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I bought the base version Christmas 2017 and had a bit a mess around with it.

Came up in youtube videos that there is a hard mode that I've never tried, watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW3GXnPYFHQ and part 2 - found out there are 30 parts to that, something like 22 hours - so think I might just watch part 30 and call it a day.

Its quite incredible what some people have come up with when its treated like a toolkit rather than a game. If you can have a pinball machine with a roller coaster theme, why not a roller coaster with a pinball theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D_53QVX1FI

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Game is on my Steam Wishlist, but I think I need it sub $10 before I bite.

I like the idea of putting a coaster in a pinball cabinet, but lordy there's too many upchains and not enough coastering!

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Yeah, plus there are a few neckbreakers in that ride.

I own this game, but I haven't played it a lot. You can do awesome stuff, but when you don't go with prebuilt stuff, it gets very time consuming.

Benny Baroni

Dec 19, 2018
I put quite a bit of time into it myself and recreated disneyland's pirates. Good game if you're into creative building, here's an extremely impressive example...

Last edited:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Its been down to $11.25 before, which is more than $10 but its close.

Its an ideal game for the Steam workshop - I've just checked and there are over 246,000 things in it now. Clever DLC model as well - you can use things in the Steam workshop that use DLC parts, but you can't then save a park with them in it.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I watched that video and thought, no way is that a real coaster. Few YouTube clicks later and I'm wondering why nothing insane like this has come stateside!

It's funny too, for as long as the queue is in the Planet Coaster video, it looked like people were practically walking onto the ride in the real vid I saw.

I live near (just over an hour's drive away) Magic Mountain here in SoCal, home of the world record for most coasters at 19. Actually I'd call it 16, as the other 3 are kiddie coasters and not thrill rides. Anyways, they have a ride called Scream (us locals call it Parking Lot, the Ride, as it literally was built in the parking lot and they never bothered to even remove the lane stripes from the asphalt) that this sorta reminded me of with it just being one inversion after another; a measly 9 compared to The Smiler's 14. Thing is, it's so smooth, so fluid, you sorta get no thrill from going upside down after the first 2 or 3 inversions. I'm wondering, in all it's steal pretzelled glory, if The Smiler suffers that same fate. I did notice it has one airtime hump, so yay.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Could be that the queue is right in that video, but anytime other than bank holiday weekend in the middle of summer they put some shortcuts in to reduce the length of queue/approach to walk through.

Nearest theme park to me is Blackpool Pleasure Beach - haven't been for years though - big roller coaster opened in 2018 so I should go just for that really. Think its unique in the UK that it doesn't need planning permission for the rides - made a special agreement with whatever was the equivalent of the local council in the 1930s; other parks didn't manage to try and get a similar offer, in almost all cases due to them not existing at the time.

Been to Alton Towers for a weekend once, about 25 years ago.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I live right down the road from HersheyPark; I've been once in ten years. I am too, er, "wide", to fit on most of the coasters though, which diminishes the appeal somewhat.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Holy smokes, I had no idea this was so advanced. Thanks for the video, wilbers. Really cool stuff.

I grew up in Indiana, so I was wedged right in between some really great parks: Cedar Point, King’s Island, and Six Flags Chicago. Back in the 80’s & 90’s, they had insanely huge arcades as well, so I tried to go as often as possible. I think the Vortex at King’s Island was the first inversion coaster I rode.

Last time i went to a park was Six Flags Chicago in ‘08. I went there several times as a kid, so it was cool to go back and see what had changed and what hadn’t. This time I was in a wheelchair because of my spinal cord injury, so my friends and I got to cut to the front of the line which was a god-send. I must’ve rode the Superman at least 5 times. We had a blast, although I could barely move the next day heh...but of course it was totally worth it.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Cedar Point's new coaster is in there - was a form of advertising putting it in the game a few months before it was open in the park. Not sure if it was just Cedar Point helping the devs make the in-game version, or if they paid them to do it as well.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Nice!

This thread brings back a lot of memories.

I just remembered that my brother actually blacked out for a moment while riding the Shockwave at Six Flags Great America back in the day. That thing had some serious G-force!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Nice!

This thread brings back a lot of memories.

I just remembered that my brother actually blacked out for a moment while riding the Shockwave at Six Flags Great America back in the day. That thing had some serious G-force!

Wonder if that was the same Shockwave we had at Magic Mountain. I know it got packed up and sent in your to other Six Flags Paris. Was it a stand-up coaster? I loved that thing.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Wonder if that was the same Shockwave we had at Magic Mountain. I know it got packed up and sent in your to other Six Flags Paris. Was it a stand-up coaster? I loved that thing.

It was this one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shockwave_(Six_Flags_Great_America)

“When it opened in 1988, it was the tallest and fastest roller coaster with inversions, and had the most inversions on a roller coaster.”

They tore it down in 2002 to make room for Superman.

Sounds like it was very similar to the Viper at Magic Mountain.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Oh yeah, that totally sounds like Viper! Now let's talk about my favorite coasters at Magic Mountain...

Viper is still the only coaster that truly made me feel discombobulated, specifically after the 3rd loop. Love that thing and hope they never remove it.
Goliath is the only coaster I've seen a friend black out on briefly, which was too funny.
X-2 defies logic of what is happening in the moment, and single handedly has my favorite front seat drop moment.
Twisted Colossus honors and betters the glory of its former self, plus is essentially twice as long now.
Full Throttle has an insanely large loop that feels like you are stalling out on.
Tatsu I've only gotten to ride on twice, and that thing freaks me out being belly to the ground flying. Plus its loop puts G-Forces in places you've never felt!
Ninja is slow, only good from the front car, but my son's first coaster so it holds a special place in my heart. Plus it's got good visuals zipping through the trees.
Revolution was great, then got shoulder harnesses that ruined it, and now went back to a lap bar and is great again. Wonderfully built into the terrain.
Batman was my first hanging coaster where your legs dangled, but it's showing its age, especially with the Prince soundtrack
Apocolypse is a woody, and ya gotta love those. Especially fun is it does a flying pass through the load dock.

The rest...

Superman is only good if there's no line. Took my son on that without him having seen the launch, and he was very angry with me after!
Gold Rusher is an oldie, you have to marvel at the gum post (where years and years of gum are stuck), and it's only redeeming feature is the helix and the end that pulls way more G's than any basic coaster should.
Drop of Doom is fun but again not worth the wait.
Green Lantern is uh, about as good as the movie? Yikes.
The Riddler should be awesome as it's massive and long and a stand-up coaster, but your head rattles between the 'protectors' like a pinball in pop bumpers and I get a headache while riding every single time.
Scream (Parking Lot: The Ride) I already mentioned is too smooth and fluid for it's own good. It simply lacks any thrills.

Opening this summer...

West Coast Racers is a dual track racer that essentially looks like a launch coaster version of Twisted Colossus without the heights. Eager to try it out.

I'm telling you folks, if you ever visit SoCal and don't feel like paying exorbitant prices as Disneyland, you need to drive out of your way to Magic Mountain. It's WAY cheaper, has all those coasters I mentioned, AND that's not even mentioning the other rides it has. I've simply never had a bad time there over the years, and I've been going since I was a pre-teen back in the early 80's.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Looks like they have an awesome lineup. Sounds like Superman at Magic Mountain is quite a bit different than the one at Great America, where you’re standing up, and then tilted forward so you’re actually parallel with the track and facing the ground so it feels like you’re flying, which is pretty sweet, but a bit too short:

Still not as cool as Shockwave though! :cool:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, ours is a launch coaster that sends you down the track backwards at 100mph and then straight up 400 feet, only to plummet back down. What you described with seating on yours, that’s what Tatsu is like.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Just popped up in my suggested youtube videos to watch.

Apparently the gift shop alone uses more elements than a typical Planet Coaster park. There is Lego, and T-shirts, and jigsaws, etc. in there!

Another video that popped up someone has made Hogwarts in Planet Coaster, no ride or anything, just using umpteen thousand scenery pieces.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Yesterday it was Lego in a coaster simulation, today its the other way around.

Over 4,000 pieces to make it.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Funny where those youtube suggestions can take you. 300,000+ Lego pieces to make this custom Jurassic Park with rollercoaster. If the average cost per brick is 7p that adds up pretty quickly.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.