Hypothetically How Much To Start A Pinball Arcade?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
This is a primary reason why the Museum of Pinball in Banning is only open a few times a year. From this LA Times article: “It’s 45,000 square feet of pinball. Just to flip the electrical breakers, it costs a few thousand dollars.”

From what I understood, after buying the property they found out it was not zoned for a business that wanted to be open to the public daily. The 3 times a year they are open is because that’s all they are allowed.

Wapcaplet

Jul 18, 2012
From what I understood, after buying the property they found out it was not zoned for a business that wanted to be open to the public daily. The 3 times a year they are open is because that’s all they are allowed.
That's what I seem to recall reading at one point, too, but the cost of electricity is the reason the Weeks keep giving in interviews. I can't seen to find anything online about zoning issues. Here's another article that says the same thing about their electric bill:

But, that electricity costs a lot of money. Banning has its own power company and Weeks’ son, Johnathan, said Banning has allowed them to negotiate fees for special events. But the cost just to turn on the juice needed for the machines, he said, is $1,500.
That’s the main reason the Weeks family won’t open the museum to the general public on a regular basis. Located off the beaten path, they figure they might get just 30 or 40 people a day.
It does make sense when you think about it. Would be nice it if were open every other month instead of 3 times a year (though spending a day there in the summer doesn't sound very appealing -- even in October it feels a bit warm in there!).

wolfson

May 24, 2013
how about a brothel , only electricity would be for the beer fridge and you could use candles for lighting , oops I forgot it`s illegal for a brothel in the USA , bad luck .:cool:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
That's what I seem to recall reading at one point, too, but the cost of electricity is the reason the Weeks keep giving in interviews. I can't seen to find anything online about zoning issues. Here's another article that says the same thing about their electric bill:

It does make sense when you think about it. Would be nice it if were open every other month instead of 3 times a year (though spending a day there in the summer doesn't sound very appealing -- even in October it feels a bit warm in there!).

They had all these plans for people to be able to camp at the site, as there are motorhome hookups available. I’d be happy if they opened 4 times a year, spread out. Two of the times are only a month apart, which is why I only went to the one.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I swear I am in no way serious about doing this...

But

Sounds exactly like one of the bits they used to have on Top Gear that began "How hard can it be?".

Still, location CHECK, rent CHECK, head full of ideas CHECK, electricity costs HOW MUCH?

If you are going further down this theoretical rabbit hole, has anyone done a rough calculation of electricity usage of pinball machines from different eras - also how big a difference is there with original 90s machines and those that have been retrofitted with LEDs. Then you would be into the realm of estimating what % it would be on attract mode, and what % it was being actively played.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Sounds exactly like one of the bits they used to have on Top Gear that began "How hard can it be?".

Still, location CHECK, rent CHECK, head full of ideas CHECK, electricity costs HOW MUCH?

If you are going further down this theoretical rabbit hole, has anyone done a rough calculation of electricity usage of pinball machines from different eras - also how big a difference is there with original 90s machines and those that have been retrofitted with LEDs. Then you would be into the realm of estimating what % it would be on attract mode, and what % it was being actively played.

I never watched Top Gear, but I do watch The Grand Tour, so I’m familiar with that sort of bit. I should set up an interview with the person that runs this pinball arcade somewhat near me I’ve been meaning to check out. Then I could just ask him all these hypotheticals and have my answers!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Oop, just looked it up and the place I’m was thinking of is a barcade featuring craft beers. No help on the hypothetical!

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
I like the idea of wiring up at least some of the machines for streaming - having that gear configured and stable and in place could make it a destination for people who want to stream/record their competitions or record video tutorials. It would definitely be a unique feature, and I could see it being very attractive for leagues and organizations running competitive events.

My vote is that you go ahead and do it - quit your job and open "Shut Your Traps's Pinball Arcade". You could even sell your house and move your family into living in the basement of the arcade, in order to pay for the machines, liquor license, and the first month's electric bill.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I like the idea of wiring up at least some of the machines for streaming - having that gear configured and stable and in place could make it a destination for people who want to stream/record their competitions or record video tutorials. It would definitely be a unique feature, and I could see it being very attractive for leagues and organizations running competitive events.

My vote is that you go ahead and do it - quit your job and open "Shut Your Traps's Pinball Arcade". You could even sell your house and move your family into living in the basement of the arcade, in order to pay for the machines, liquor license, and the first month's electric bill.

Haha, basement. Not a SoCal feature. Earthquakes, ya know?

Also, it’d be the BlahCade Pinball Palace. Or Emporium. Parlor? Whatever. Do up our logo in neon, have a pair of giant flippers on either side of the entry, movie poster frames in the window advertising featured pins. Crowd of surly teens hanging out in the parking lot. I can see it all so vividly!

wolfson

May 24, 2013
ZREXMike come on bro , courtyard with these lovely American beer chairs , well away from the pinnies !!!:cool:

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
Missed this topic but thoroughly enjoyed the discussion on the latest Podcast, great to hear others share these thoughts, hopes and shattered dreams. My ambitions would also feature craft beers, an area where I do at least have some experience and useful connections. May as well include pizza for good measure!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.