BlahCade #172: Shifting Sands

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Chris was about ready to drop this really helpful document for folks new to Zen Pinball's Williams Pinball app on iOS and Android.

But as you'll hear in this episode, these best-laid plans were thrown out.

We spend this episode discussing what has changed in the freemium model within Williams Pinball and offer some suggestions about what you can do to get maximum enjoyment out of this game.

There's also some interesting news about some developments Zen Studios has been working on that we shed light on as well, so get listening.

https://blahcadepinball.com/172-shifting-sands for show notes.

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
So do you fellas now know what three tables are coming in Volume 4 and whether us punters should look forward to a May release date as speculated on previously? I understand you may not be able to tell us what they are... yet. Although the title ‘shifting sands’ evokes possibly TALES OF THE ARABIAN NIGHTS which would be awesome.

I’m busy listening to a huge chunk of the back catalogue of episodes, currently up to the start of 2018 and an episode where you discussed whether a pinball-maker style feature could be implemented whereby players could create their own digital tables. Interesting discussion.

So might be some time before I make it up to the new shows coming out but I’ll catch-up eventually.

Many thanks for all your efforts with the BlahCade Pinball Podcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Wow you are a very dedicated listener! It's great to hear you're enjoying them (even the old ones).

One thing that is pretty safe to say is that Zen aren't following the "manual stack" order in the launch video anymore.

They can't make it easy for everyone, right.

There is also something coming in Volume 4 release that will surely delight many hardcore pinheads.

You'll just have to wait for a bit until Zen officially announce things.

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
I went ahead and listened to the new show anyhow, my OCD was pinging as I went off chronological order but I couldn’t resist listening to see if any clues about Volume 4 were dropped in. Thanks for your candid response here to, you have my speculation sensor firing.

Just an observation about the often mobile app heavy chat about Williams Pinball and your points made about how Zen might be going to use this new commercial pinball cab they unveiled. I’m not entirely sure how to best make my point but whilst I can see much logic in your coverage of the Williams App and how this new device from Zen might even connect into it. That’s the news that’s happening so of course you are going to duly cover it.

However, part of me just feels a tad crestfallen as a listener. It’s amazing pinball can be played on mobile phones for those that have no other platform available to them and whilst the sight of a pinball cab (be it digital only) in the wild as you speculated is most welcome. I’d be lying if I said either mobile phone app gaming or ticket based redemption ‘arcades’ (shakes fist, they ain’t real arcades) got my juices flowing.

I’m actually a little sad to see this business direction seemingly dominate the digital pinball discourse right now and that Zen seemingly is all in with such a philosophy.

I’m aware I probably speak for the minority but what gets me excited about Zen and your coverage of them has little to do with their mobile apps or what ticket reward device they might deface their shiny new piece of kit with.

I like to hear about the details and wonders in what they are now producing by incorporating a larger roster of real-life tables into their console games (and Steam).

The unveiling of their digital pinball cab got me day-dreaming about a potential home user model which could be bought at a fair price that was pretty much plug and play ready.

A far cry from micro-transactions and ticket procurement for worthless tat that these modern ‘so-called arcades’ hand out to the kids of today.

Anyway, my ramble is over and I appreciate my points were a bit all over the place. I’m absolutely not trying to have a pop at either of you guys nor the content of your show. Love it.

Was just trying to throw some words out to help get my head around the sense that as I was listening I personally wanted more focus on the Williams and Bally tables produced to date, the incoming Volume 4. Hell even a table by table discussion on the remaining tables in TPA or STERN or chat about ZACCARIA tables is more fun to my ears than mobile app data and Zen trying to find ways to further milk that cow. But hey, that’s just me. Looking forward to the next show already and the official Volume 4 unveiling from Zen.

Last edited:

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
So where was this 80s Comedy Poll coming from? Thought there would be a link to take it. Or was this just a made up for the show? Those movies are in my teenage wheelhouse so was looking forward to ranking them.

Update: Ah found it on Blahcade Twitter feed.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
So where was this 80s Comedy Poll coming from? Thought there would be a link to take it. Or was this just a made up for the show? Those movies are in my teenage wheelhouse so was looking forward to ranking them.

Update: Ah found it on Blahcade Twitter feed.

Can't say it enough...follow us on Twitter!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I went ahead and listened to the new show anyhow, my OCD was pinging as I went off chronological order but I couldn’t resist listening to see if any clues about Volume 4 were dropped in. Thanks for your candid response here to, you have my speculation sensor firing.

Just an observation about the often mobile app heavy chat about Williams Pinball and your points made about how Zen might be going to use this new commercial pinball cab they unveiled. I’m not entirely sure how to best make my point but whilst I can see much logic in your coverage of the Williams App and how this new device from Zen might even connect into it. That’s the news that’s happening so of course you are going to duly cover it.

However, part of me just feels a tad crestfallen as a listener. It’s amazing pinball can be played on mobile phones for those that have no other platform available to them and whilst the sight of a pinball cab (be it digital only) in the wild as you speculated is most welcome. I’d be lying if I said either mobile phone app gaming or ticket based redemption ‘arcades’ (shakes fist, they ain’t real arcades) got my juices flowing.

I’m actually a little sad to see this business direction seemingly dominate the digital pinball discourse right now and that Zen seemingly is all in with such a philosophy.

I’m aware I probably speak for the minority but what gets me excited about Zen and your coverage of them has little to do with their mobile apps or what ticket reward device they might deface their shiny new piece of kit with.

I like to hear about the details and wonders in what they are now producing by incorporating a larger roster of real-life tables into their console games (and Steam).

The unveiling of their digital pinball cab got me day-dreaming about a potential home user model which could be bought at a fair price that was pretty much plug and play ready.

A far cry from micro-transactions and ticket procurement for worthless tat that these modern ‘so-called arcades’ hand out to the kids of today.

Anyway, my ramble is over and I appreciate my points were a bit all over the place. I’m absolutely not trying to have a pop at either of you guys nor the content of your show. Love it.

Was just trying to throw some words out to help get my head around the sense that as I was listening I personally wanted more focus on the Williams and Bally tables produced to date, the incoming Volume 4. Hell even a table by table discussion on the remaining tables in TPA or STERN or chat about ZACCARIA tables is more fun to my ears than mobile app data and Zen trying to find ways to further milk that cow. But hey, that’s just me. Looking forward to the next show already and the official Volume 4 unveiling from Zen.

The very shows you are requesting are actually already recorded and in your queue, you just haven't listened to them yet! We hit these lulls right before a release where we've covered every angle of the past release but have nothing more we can say about upcoming releases. The regular FX3 game is churning along just great, no drama. The mobile app on the other hand, much drama! Don't worry though, we'll get back to covering what you are hoping to hear real soon. I'm setting up yet another interview with Mel soon, Volume 4 is on its way, Zacc is getting their mobile app in order, so discussions will happen. If ever there is a topic you want us to cover, always feel free to suggest it and maybe point us toward whatever got you thinking about it. A lot of times these very forums are what dictate what goes into the show, based on what the hot thread discussion is.

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
Thanks for responding Chris. Good to know I’ve plenty of quality digital pinball chat ahead of me and super excited to hear your next interview with Zen’s Mel and you fellas impressions of Volume 4.

Plus, I always like to hear about any tables Jared or yourself have played in real life. I’ve recently began to actually play real pinball tables in the wild myself. Absolute joy! I intend to start attending some actual pinball events in the coming months and maybe one day I can join my own league too.

Here’s to the next episode, happy recording.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Thanks for responding Chris. Good to know I’ve plenty of quality digital pinball chat ahead of me and super excited to hear your next interview with Zen’s Mel and you fellas impressions of Volume 4.

Plus, I always like to hear about any tables Jared or yourself have played in real life. I’ve recently began to actually play real pinball tables in the wild myself. Absolute joy! I intend to start attending some actual pinball events in the coming months and maybe one day I can join my own league too.

Here’s to the next episode, happy recording.

If you wanted to get to a point where the content was a little bit more relevant to recent happenings, I would suggest going back to https://blahcadepinball.com/episodes and search for "And The Licence Goes To..."

This episode is when we started talking about the announcement that zen studios had obtained a licence.

In many respects any episodes before this point are probably obsoleted by any new information that has come out.

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
I’m nearly up to that one anyhow so will push on with the catch-up listening and it’s been fun to hear FarSight and TPA get some coverage as that’s obviously not happening much now

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
I’m nearly up to that one anyhow so will push on with the catch-up listening and it’s been fun to hear FarSight and TPA get some coverage as that’s obviously not happening much now

[MENTION=7634]Lroy[/MENTION] listen to the way back catalog on youtube at 1.5 speed you;ll be caught up in no time
[MENTION=4301]Jared[/MENTION] as a pinhead I'm excited for every table that comes out. I just wish they'd announce the tables so I can get appropriately amped up.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Whenever I hear that someone is listening to all our podcasts from the beginning, I’m somewhat relieved those first 10 ‘vanished’. They were a chaotic mess, none of us had a clue what we were doing, and there’s probably not a thing said in them that would hold any value to today. Plus my terrible Heretic impersonation can’t be used as evidence against me!

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Just got me looking at the pre-2018 podcasts. Nos. 1-10 are indeed not there. nos. 11 & 13 have 404 file not found.

Top episode from 2015 (no. 33) is there and has relevance to current Zen tables.

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
Yeah, I noticed some were missing. I basically cherry picked episodes to listen to that were pre-2017 that sounded interesting. I’ve then listened to all 2017 eps and am now working my way through 2018 at a good pace. Of course I still listen to the odd new show as it comes out, I’ll be caught up soon enough.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Whenever I hear that someone is listening to all our podcasts from the beginning, I’m somewhat relieved those first 10 ‘vanished’. They were a chaotic mess, none of us had a clue what we were doing, and there’s probably not a thing said in them that would hold any value to today. Plus my terrible Heretic impersonation can’t be used as evidence against me!

Haha, true, but we had a good time, and I did have a lot of fun editing the pin sound effects together and putting my audio production skills to use. You gotta admit some of my mashups were pretty sweet! Pretty sure I still have some of the files. I’ll have to see if I can find any of the good bits for old time’s sake

Last edited:

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
The early episodes were a lot of fun, it is interesting to see how SYT and Jared emerged gradually as leading voices - one segment I actually kind of miss is Sean DonCarlos' "Lost in the Zone" where he did a super deep strategy dive into an individual table. I hope that you may someday bring that feature back if he is willing to do it, his thoroughness and delivery were really good, and at some point we will have new tables to do (that were not in TPA)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I think this is the intro from the last "barcade" episode before we got the cease & desist and had to change the name:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/b52d1mcc4q2263b/TPA_Barcade_8_%282%29.wav/file

It's funny to think that we were only 8 episodes in before the name change.

I totally did not remember that intro! I'm so used to the blues riff that came later. And while it was only 8 episodes before getting the C&D, we were only recording every 5 or 6 weeks, so it'd almost been a year of using that. And for those wondering why the gap between episodes, it was a combination of not having much to talk about (I was writing quizzes to fill time, folks) and simply trying to line up all our schedules. We had 8 people we were trying to cram in, all across the US, plus Europe and Australia. I used to think Bonzo was really quiet, now I just know it's cuz it was 1 in the morning for him!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The early episodes were a lot of fun, it is interesting to see how SYT and Jared emerged gradually as leading voices - one segment I actually kind of miss is Sean DonCarlos' "Lost in the Zone" where he did a super deep strategy dive into an individual table. I hope that you may someday bring that feature back if he is willing to do it, his thoroughness and delivery were really good, and at some point we will have new tables to do (that were not in TPA)

I had been designated the moderator of the group, which somehow made me think I needed to produce the content we'd be talking about. I had done 10 years with an improvisational comedy troupe, so it wasn't too dissimilar to what I was used to doing in prep and then on stage. So that's how my voice came to the forefront. Jared was always more than willing to talk and needed very little prodding to do so, whereas a couple of the guys if you didn't call their name directly, they wouldn't speak. It quickly settled into a foursome, with Jeff and Sean. Jeff can answer this best, but there's a reason we started doing "60 seconds of rage" because he stopped having nice things to say! Sean kinda sorta just moved on from digital pinball. I also started mocking him a bit with 'Lost in the Zone' behind the scenes, and then did my 'Big Shot' parody of LitZ which I think slammed the door on that for good. I know some of you really liked it, and he certainly did thorough deconstruction of how to play, ultimately though he needed his own podcast to do it on if it were to continue. Jared and I had found a rhythm that gelled together, and it happened to coincide with Sean not being that interested anymore and too busy.

What's interesting about all of that is we decided then and there to start doing the podcast weekly, figuring we would only do 30-45 minute shows. Ha! We even tried having a rotating cycle of show topics that would repeat every 4 weeks. That was useful while the two of us really got in sync, but then became a burden. Now we trust the other will always be able to riff on whatever is brought up, and often times I won't even tell Jared what I have planned until right before the show starts. We've had both Jeff and Sean back on the show (right around episode 100) and that was a lot of fun.

BlahCade is now modeled after certain sports radio shows I listen to, believe it or not. In other words, yes pinball is the primary topic but there's also other stuff that fill our days. Other pinball podcasts have even admitted to being jealous of our loose rules of what the show is about, and then there is of course the fact we cover digital like no other podcast out there.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I totally did not remember that intro! I'm so used to the blues riff that came later. And while it was only 8 episodes before getting the C&D, we were only recording every 5 or 6 weeks, so it'd almost been a year of using that. And for those wondering why the gap between episodes, it was a combination of not having much to talk about (I was writing quizzes to fill time, folks) and simply trying to line up all our schedules. We had 8 people we were trying to cram in, all across the US, plus Europe and Australia. I used to think Bonzo was really quiet, now I just know it's cuz it was 1 in the morning for him!

Plus, me being a master procrastinator, it would take me a week or two to edit!

This was when I first started messing around with the intros, so I hadn't settled in on the blues song yet.

I think the ep 10 intro was the first time I used it:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/p88jp50rk9p83vu/TPA_Blahcade_10.wav/file

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.