First Licensed FX3 Williams Speculation

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
We've got 3 packs of non licensed DMD games out already, a 4th (presumably non licensed) on the way. At some point, Zen is going to do a licensed table. What's the first one going to be?

I'm going with Terminator. The next movie comes out on November 1st. A T2 and Zen Terminator: Dark Fate pack right around there sounds pretty good. A triple pack of T2, T3 and T: DF sounds even better but i don't see a Stern+Williams combo pack happening.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
My guess is Universal Monsters.

Terminator is interesting in that all the Terminator rights have reverted to being under the complete ownership of James Cameron as of 2019. How this may impact pinball tables... Who knows?

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
I’m leaning towards a Universal Monsters Pack too.

Would that possibly include CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, MONSTER BASH and what else? DRACULA although aware rights to that might be with Sony not Universal.

What could be another potential third table - SCARED STIFF? ELVIRA AND THE PARTY MONSTERS? Again, aware these Elvira tables might fall into another licence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
It's entirely possible that Zen could release packs of 1 or 2 tables, based on which license was done. It's interesting to think about too, because the costs may vary.

Examples of solo tables include Portal and Walking Dead.

Examples of two-table packs include Carnivals and Legends, the Medieval pack, Women of Power, and Iron and Steel.

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
I 'd agree with a monster bash/cftbl pack being the first licensed table pack as it carries a licence but shouldn't break the bank plus still being highly requested tables. either way I can't wait for any and all tables!

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I don`t mind what we get . Zen has done such a great job , I`ll buy anything . I`d love for Taxi to be thrown our way with plenty of animations , please !!!:cool:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I think it'll be NBA Fastbreak, just in time for the finals in June.

Or for the draft, free agency, pre-season, start of season, all-star break...just make the damn thing!

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I liked playing it last week even though I had very little idea what I was supposed to aim for - did realise you press the middle button to get a point after getting up the middle ramp but not into the basket. Suspect its even better when you do know what to aim for!

Or for the draft, free agency, pre-season, start of season, all-star break...just make the damn thing!

Are those 5 things that happen in basketball at various points in the year??

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Honestly I don’t think there’s a bad option here.

Twilight zone is certainly a table that feels like it would be a single table pack.

I like the Universal monsters guess as there’s already some ground laid with the licenses for the universal tables already published and there more to tap there for Zen Originals too. Having Monster Bash out there digitally with the relaunch of the physical table doesn’t hurt either.

Does the NBA licensing deals with EA and or other gaming companies hurt the pinball license chances? For that matter, does EA not allowing PvZ to be ported affect that too?

Further speculating, would a Stern deal push all the Williams licenses out since they’ve already done Marvel and Star Wars (and Jurassic Park and Back to the Future and Family Guy) and we’d see those first?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Are those 5 things that happen in basketball at various points in the year??

NBA has something going on almost all year round.

Pre season starts in late September. Season starts in October. All-Star break is February. Playoffs start in April. Finals are in June, as is the draft. Free agency starts in July, as does Summer League. August is pretty much the only month with nothing NBA related happening.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Does the NBA licensing deals with EA and or other gaming companies hurt the pinball license chances? For that matter, does EA not allowing PvZ to be ported affect that too?

Further speculating, would a Stern deal push all the Williams licenses out since they’ve already done Marvel and Star Wars (and Jurassic Park and Back to the Future and Family Guy) and we’d see those first?

I think the biggest issue for doing NBA is the NBA itself and the Players Union. Lots of agreements to secure.

Just because Zen has a license for those IPs does not mean they automatically have it for a Stern or Willians recreation. They still have to negotiate, but obviously with a foot in the door.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Yeah. I figured the usual license negotiation applies, but in the case of NBA, where there are existing video game licenses on top of that it might be even more difficult.

In addition to the usual games like Live and 2K, EA owns the rights to NBA Jam, another Midway/Williams property that was licensed to Acclaim back in the day. I’m not sure if that deal encompassed the home rights to Fastbreak but it certainly could.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
In addition to the usual games like Live and 2K, EA owns the rights to NBA Jam, another Midway/Williams property that was licensed to Acclaim back in the day. I’m not sure if that deal encompassed the home rights to Fastbreak but it certainly could.
There is no exclusive deal in place for NBA games like the NFL and MLB. The problem lies with the players and players union. Many likenesses are used on the table and many of of those said players have retired and it's possible that some may even be deceased.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
There is no exclusive deal in place for NBA games like the NFL and MLB. The problem lies with the players and players union. Many likenesses are used on the table and many of of those said players have retired and it's possible that some may even be deceased.

Yep. I think what would make the most sense is to strike new deals with current players, and then if possible do yearly roster updates. Would also have to change Seattle to OKC, plus add in the two newest teams. Zen could probably do a better DMD job on the faces than are there now.

Members online

Members online