Williams' Collection Volume 5 guesses

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
It is in TPA, not so much on the real table. The rub is that the jackpot value permanently doubles each time you score a SJ. That's way too easy to do in TPA and runs wildly out of line with the rest of the scoring, but on a real table it's rare to get the SJ once in a game, never mind three or four times running. Also the jackpot multiplier is too easy to increase on TPA's vacuum ramp. We don't know yet where Zen's version will play on the difficulty scale.

Not jackpots, but wizard modes. The Monster Bash mode tends to roughly double all your scoring that came before it, and then so does Monsters of Rock again on top of that.

Thanks Vikingerik for explaining that. For me Fish Tales is all about chasing that Super Jackpot. It is very hard to ignore that and focus on anything else because I know it can blow up my score. I hope it is not the same on Creature as I enjoy more variety and all round scoring tables with a nice bonus for Wizard modes like you explained for Monster Bash.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
One Super Jackpot on Creature doesn't blow up your score. It scores ~80 million times the current multiball multiplier up to 4x, which is a lot, but you can also rack up about that much from everything else put together like Move Your Car and the various right ramp and right lane awards. It's the 3rd and 4th SJs in a game, after multiple permanent doublings, that blow up your score to multiple billions and subsume everything else. Whether Zen's version is easy enough to do that remains to be seen.

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
One Super Jackpot on Creature doesn't blow up your score. It scores ~80 million times the current multiball multiplier up to 4x, which is a lot, but you can also rack up about that much from everything else put together like Move Your Car and the various right ramp and right lane awards. It's the 3rd and 4th SJs in a game, after multiple permanent doublings, that blow up your score to multiple billions and subsume everything else. Whether Zen's version is easy enough to do that remains to be seen.

Thanks again for the explanation. I know though (unfortunately) what my aim will be... to get those 3rd and 4th Super Jackpots. Let's see if it is realistic or if it will just be helluva difficult.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Thanks again for the explanation. I know though (unfortunately) what my aim will be... to get those 3rd and 4th Super Jackpots. Let's see if it is realistic or if it will just be helluva difficult.

On TPA it was so easy to get 4x SJs, the top players were breaking the ROM as far as scoring went. Rollover bugs, and so on, that really WMS would never have anticipated and unfortunately were difficult to intercept and allow TPA to properly keep track so players would "lose" tens of billions off their scores. (Happened to me. My "official" high score in TPA Creature is 18B. In reality, I know that was 38B. That's not even close to one of the top scores. It's ridiculous. Getting 1B on a real table is a serious achievement.)

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
I thought about the flipper physics a bit more. I was holding out to first play the Vol 1 - 3 tables after the physics update as I was in the enviable position of only getting a Xbox One after Volume 4. The word on the street was that Zen would implement the flipper physics in Vol 1 - 3 and then also for all future packs (flipper physics looks great for this new pack), and it sounded like it would happen soon. Alas, it didn't come so I started playing Junk Yard after I played through Vol 4 and withheld for a bit (I lasted one day ;-) ). They play nicely with their current physics and one standout for me is Theatre of Magic where I can control the ball well (except for tip passes which is great in Vol 4). For me, Theatre of Magic, will be the litmus test as to if applying the new flipper physics to Vol 1 - 3 was worth the effort or not. I love the way the new flipper physics plays and I'm sure it will take some adaptation and might feel strange at first, but I'm all for it and really hope it happens soon.

jwil026

Nov 19, 2012
I noticed that they didn't call this release volume 5. Maybe volume 5 will come shortly too! This looks like a special "Universal Monsters Pack" which I believe is priced around 9.99 USD. Just Hoping!!

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
I noticed that they didn't call this release volume 5. Maybe volume 5 will come shortly too! This looks like a special "Universal Monsters Pack" which I believe is priced around 9.99 USD. Just Hoping!!

This is not called a Volume because it is licensed tables to Universal. Jarod and Chris explain it on the latest Blahcade podcast.

There are six remaining unlicensed DMD tables as per discussions on the forum. The tables released for the previous four volumes have all been from this unlicensed DMD pile. The tables are; Cirques Voltaire, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Cactus Canyon, No Good Gofers, JackBot, and WHO Dunnit. There is no date yet, but we can hope that Volume 5 is released before the end of the year.

Curratum

Oct 10, 2019
This is not called a Volume because it is licensed tables to Universal. Jarod and Chris explain it on the latest Blahcade podcast.

There are six remaining unlicensed DMD tables as per discussions on the forum. The tables released for the previous four volumes have all been from this unlicensed DMD pile. The tables are; Cirques Voltaire, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Cactus Canyon, No Good Gofers, JackBot, and WHO Dunnit. There is no date yet, but we can hope that Volume 5 is released before the end of the year.

It would be sad if those are indeed the tables coming in the next packs. I know CV and TotAN are fan-favorites but just looking at the playfields makes my head hurt, even before the LEDs come on. Jackbot, I'm afraid, will be deemed "too sexualized" and not family friendly enough for Zen. I know I will end up buying them whatever they are but I just can't say I'm excited about this selection.

It pisses me off because there are LOADS of great, truly great unlicensed SS tables that are simply not DMD, from both Bally and Williams, but Zen are choosing not to touch those because... well, because REASONS!

kleio

Oct 6, 2019
All 6 of those tables are excellent. There's not a weak link in that list. If volumes 5 and 6 are combinations of those games they will be far stronger releases than volumes 1 through 4.

Zen would be crazy not to release alphanumeric tables eventually but I can see why they're more focused on DMD machines right now that are closer to Zen's videogamey style.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
It would be sad if those are indeed the tables coming in the next packs.

At least as far as the standard numbered Volume packs go, those 6 unlicensed DMD tables will almost certainly be what we get.

It pisses me off because there are LOADS of great, truly great unlicensed SS tables that are simply not DMD, from both Bally and Williams, but Zen are choosing not to touch those because... well, because REASONS!

But on the bright side, about 5 months ago, iirc, they stated in one of the interviews that pre-DMD SS tables would be coming. I believe it was the same interview where they stated that licensed tables would start coming out around October, and that came true.

There's a decent chance of seeing pre-DMDs in 2020. But they will probably be sprinkled between the licensed DMD releases.

Curratum

Oct 10, 2019
But on the bright side, about 5 months ago, iirc, they stated in one of the interviews that pre-DMD SS tables would be coming. I believe it was the same interview where they stated that licensed tables would start coming out around October, and that came true.

There's a decent chance of seeing pre-DMDs in 2020. But they will probably be sprinkled between the licensed DMD releases.

If we get even a single pre-DMD pack with 3 tables in it, I will be happy. You have to take what you get! :D

I love so many of the pre-DMD solidstate tables that whatever they put in the pack, I will be a happy man.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Fun House, BoP, Whirlwind

There's a pre-DMD 3-pack. But, not sure Zen would seem BoP "family friendly".

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012

No Good Gofers and WHO Dunnit CAN NOT be in the same pack......as that would be one awful pack that not even Cirques Voltaire could save!!. So im guessing it will be

Vol 5
No Good Gofers
Cactus Canyon
Tales of the Arabian Nights

Vol 6
Jackbot
WHO Dunnit
Cirques Voltaire

Well Zen's going to HAVE to starts doing SS table after Q1 of 2020, otherwise they wont have much to release next year apart from maybe 1 or 2 licences packs, which will hopefully somehow include 2 of the following for Halloween, Addams Family, Bram Stokers Dracula and both Elvira tables.......but for licensing issues not sure how that would happen apart from the Elvira tables

Fun House, BoP, Whirlwind

There's a pre-DMD 3-pack. But, not sure Zen would seem BoP "family friendly".

Well hopefully by the time thet get to Jackbot they'll have the new ESRB ratings in place

Last edited:

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019
[MENTION=150]lettuce[/MENTION] I think those pack combinations are spot on, though I am not sure which one will come first.

I can’t wait for them to get out of the DMD rut they are in though. So many machines out there that need the Zen touch, including some that Farsight never even got to. It’s been kind of weird how they are doing the releases so that you end up getting the sequels to tables before the originals. That is kind of jarring to me. Like reading the final book of Potter first and then reading earlier ones later.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Going to have to disagree; Cirqus might appear first before TotAN.

Keep in mind of how difficult it was to recreate the ramp from Farsight's perspective. For Zen, they'll likely get it right but it'll take a while to nail down all possible exits the ball might take on the spiral.

Factor in WHO dunnit and Jack*Bot's gambling-related themes and mechanics, and you'd probably see them in Volume 6. Seeing how Zen did a mix of Bally/Williams in the Monster Pack, it won't be surprising to see the mix in order to evade Simulated Gambling early in Volume 5.

Hypocritical for the ESRB in the first place because they allow gambling in the form of Lootboxes (SURPRISE MECHANICS) in FIFA but they dare strike down anything simulated in a pinball machine.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Hypocritical for the ESRB in the first place because they allow gambling in the form of Lootboxes (SURPRISE MECHANICS) in FIFA but they dare strike down anything simulated in a pinball machine.

The mission of the ESRB is solely to keep US government regulation out of the video game industry. Until loot box gambling becomes a more relevant political hot potato (and it probably will eventually), they aren't going to do squat.

Ideally in hindsight, Williams/Bally pinball should have been spun off onto its own T rated app which would have covered just about all the things not allowed in the E rating.

PinJimmy

Jun 27, 2012
I thought about the flipper physics a bit more. I was holding out to first play the Vol 1 - 3 tables after the physics update as I was in the enviable position of only getting a Xbox One after Volume 4. The word on the street was that Zen would implement the flipper physics in Vol 1 - 3 and then also for all future packs (flipper physics looks great for this new pack), and it sounded like it would happen soon. Alas, it didn't come so I started playing Junk Yard after I played through Vol 4 and withheld for a bit (I lasted one day ;-) ). They play nicely with their current physics and one standout for me is Theatre of Magic where I can control the ball well (except for tip passes which is great in Vol 4). For me, Theatre of Magic, will be the litmus test as to if applying the new flipper physics to Vol 1 - 3 was worth the effort or not. I love the way the new flipper physics plays and I'm sure it will take some adaptation and might feel strange at first, but I'm all for it and really hope it happens soon.

This probably wont happen anytime soon. I wouldnt wait for it. If they wanted to update the physics on the first packs they would have done it by now.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I said it in the podcast, I’ll say it here...the people that would raise hell over the leaderboards being affected are the main reason Zen is being slow to implement flipper physics on Vol 1-3. They have to put in an ‘archived’ leaderboard since the new physics might make high scores more difficult to achieve. THAT is what will take the most effort for very little return. So blame the leaderboard whores.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Have Zen been more nervous about leaderboard releases in recent years? I could be misremembering, but I thought FX2 had at least 2 resets.

Members online

Members online