Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Williams' Collection Volume 5 guesses

My Devices
    PS3, PS4, PC, iOS, Switch
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm going to concede this point...I would like to know the schedule in loose terms. I've even expressed that to Zen prior to this latest volley of comments. And when I say loose, I mean not dates to ink in on my calendar but something I can pencil in and erase if need be.

Now, let's talk about why the Star Wars on Switch announcement is the exception to the rule in terms of hype.

Star Wars Celebration Chicago was in May. Was there not a more perfect place to make the announcement? I don't know the reasons for the September release, whether that was a Zen call or a Lucasfilm decision or what. It might even relate to there being an actual physical release and the ramp up time it takes to make such things. I just know you don't pass up the golden opportunity that was SWCC, where Stern had a booth nearby yet Zen wound up having the larger crowds (or so I've been told). The first trailer for Rise of Skywalker debuted that same weekend, and you know the hype train for the movie is probably going to start back up around September too. I think Zen is just riding a wave they didn't have to create themselves.

Meanwhile, let's say you got a hint about a table from Volume 5 now (for the sake of argument, call it NGG), but due to scheduling of Star Wars and then the proposed licensed Halloween release, it won't come out till late November. You really gonna be stoked to know it's No Good Gofers 4 months in advance? FarSight said they were working on a new table, that someone was doing art on a female head of hair, and that was how many months ago? Does anyone even care at this point? People were cool talking about it for a few weeks and then it just turned ugly with comments. You mention that White Water animation, and that got released and then literally a week later came the announcement. Expect more of the same.

I'm trying to line up another interview with Mel regarding the Star Wars release. If I get that, I'll do my best to get him to spill something regarding the other stuff that I can actually put on air without the gag order.
    I'm just sayin'

official BlahCade Pinball Podcast website blahcadepinball.com/episodes

subscribe to BlahCade Pinball Podcast on YouTube

buy BlahCade t-shirt at RedBubble.com

play with me on PSN, iOS, and Steam: shutyertrap

follow me on Twitter: @shutyertraps or @BlahCade

My Devices
    Xbox One
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shutyertrap View Post
    Don't feel sorry for us, we got to play these tables for a solid 6 years without really knowing better! It's sort of like how my wife, a huge Harry Potter fan, feels about someone reading the books for the first time now. She's extremely jealous that they don't have to wait the extended period of time between books, can read the entire story straight through, and then can sit down and watch the entire movie series too. On the other hand, she got to revel in fandom for all that time, which in and of itself can be fun too.

The rest of your post is spot on to what I've been telling people. Zen had its core group of fans, and they were more worried about them accepting these table recreations than they were about TPA fans being willing to double dip. Obviously they wanted to please both, but taking care of that original fan base was quite important.
    I'm sure that the TPA players that got into it had lots of enjoyment. I’m just (selfishly) glad that my first exposure to these tables are now with the quality Zen releases. As far as I can tell, the Classic Arcade (and off course tournament) physics makes the tables play harder than in TPA. I revel at that challenge after I got a bit bored with the long game time a good game on a Zen table took. I’ve been playing White Water for the last week or so and have fallen just short so many times in getting Vacation Jackpot. Rather than the tedious frustration I felt back in the day when I had to play through the Iron Man missions so many times until I finally defeated Ultimo, I can have a fast, furious, and exciting game in 10-15 minutes. Once I defeated Ultimo, I never touched the table again whilst with the Williams tables I constantly go back to tables I already got the Wizard mode and / or high score on because it is so much more accessible and rewarding.

Getting back to the topic at hand The re-playability of many of these Williams tables makes the wait between new releases not nearly that excruciating; that is apart from the fact that I have a self-imposed embargo that I will only play the first three volumes again once Zen has implemented the volume four flipper physics That will likely only be implemented with the release of the new volume.
    Last edited by Cloda; 08-05-2019 at 05:44 AM.
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan
    Youtube Channel - PinStratsDan
    Twitter - PinStratsDan
    Facebook - PinStratsDan

My Devices
    PC(Steam).
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^Don't feel sorry for PBA owners, i have a very nice collection of digital tables on PBA that are gone now, and that we might never again see such a diverse collection of real life digital tables appear in one place ever again.
    Last edited by Firefox2000; 08-05-2019 at 04:57 AM.
    Steam: The Omega Man
    XBox: The Omega M4n

My Devices
    PS3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We received, what, access to 12 Williams/Ballys tables so far? That doesn't seem bad at all for a debut year (it's only been a year right?).

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yespage View Post
    We received, what, access to 12 Williams/Ballys tables so far? That doesn't seem bad at all for a debut year (it's only been a year right?).
    13 not 12 so far. Williams pack 1 released on 9th October so even if it is after the Star Wars on Switch there is still a window to release more before the first full 12 months has passed.

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/44212...0269569267448/ (post 7)

"Keep your eyes peeled for news on Pinball FX - it will be good!"

Intriguing, would that have been posted if nothing was going to happen until after the Switch release? Implies something will happen, although that doesn't automatically mean new tables - is the campaign/light/dark thing from the Switch version feasible to add to FX3, time will tell.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbers View Post

Intriguing, would that have been posted if nothing was going to happen until after the Switch release? Implies something will happen, although that doesn't automatically mean new tables - is the campaign/light/dark thing from the Switch version feasible to add to FX3, time will tell.
    It's pretty typical for a developer to respond to threads that way. I don't think it means anything.

My Devices
    Switch, IOS, PS4, PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbers View Post

Im more intrigue , perhaps it could mean nothing but, at «*Regarding the new table pack, they're coming.

Hmm more than 1?

My Devices
    iPhone 8 plus, XBOX 360, PS3, PS4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d love to see Tales Of The Arabian Mights, Cirqus Voltaire, and Cactus Canyon. For the Halowwen themed pack I’d say Monster Bash, Creature From The Black Lagoon, and maybe... Fun House???

My Devices
    PC, Mac, iOS mobile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile, let's say you got a hint about a table from Volume 5 now (for the sake of argument, call it NGG), but due to scheduling of Star Wars and then the proposed licensed Halloween release, it won't come out till late November. You really gonna be stoked to know it's No Good Gofers 4 months in advance? FarSight said they were working on a new table, that someone was doing art on a female head of hair, and that was how many months ago? Does anyone even care at this point? People were cool talking about it for a few weeks and then it just turned ugly with comments. You mention that White Water animation, and that got released and then literally a week later came the announcement. Expect more of the same.
    Yes, I would in fact be stoked to know something 4 months in advance. That would be preferable to 4 months of silence, wouldn’t it?

As for TPA, it turns ugly because they haven’t released anything in a year. All they seem to want to do is promote tournaments every week on Facebook, which they then get scorned for because people want new tables, not just announcements of tournaments or “hey we are playing some pinball on twitch come watch” announcements.

My Devices
    360, XB1, PSVita
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NGG, STTNG, T2, please. Or MB, CFTBL, SS. Or BSD, Elvira, TOTAN. Anything but old hokey like last pack.

My Devices
    PC
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZREXMike2 View Post
    NGG, STTNG, T2, please. Or MB, CFTBL, SS. Or BSD, Elvira, TOTAN. Anything but old hokey like last pack.
    Good luck with that. Conflicting licenses with all of the above picks. Refer to this post: http://www.digitalpinballfans.com/sh...l=1#post289845

It's ironic, too, because all of the above were also in Pinball Arcade. And there's a very slim chance of Elvira because of potential heavy censorship and that Farsight is rumored to produce Elvira 3 for Stern on TPA.

Granted, the remaining tables are way overdue for a massive overhaul anyway. Take a table from Seasons 1 or 2, and you can already see a big difference between both versions.

TL;DR: There are 6 unlicensed DMD games left, perfect for V5 and V6.

My Devices
    PC, XBox One, PS4, Galaxy S8, iPad
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep checking my Youtube feed for an announcement video, was sure we'd get one today Does anyone know if beta tables have been released yet, don't need to know what they are, just that they're coming... .Makes me nostalgic for Pinball Arcade monthly releases, newsletter and table clues which the forum here would crack in 5 seconds

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by francis247uk View Post
    Keep checking my Youtube feed for an announcement video, was sure we'd get one today Does anyone know if beta tables have been released yet, don't need to know what they are, just that they're coming... .Makes me nostalgic for Pinball Arcade monthly releases, newsletter and table clues which the forum here would crack in 5 seconds
    We have not received a Volume 5 beta, nor do I suspect we will until after Star Wars on Switch comes out September 13th.

My Devices
    PC, XBox One, PS4, Galaxy S8, iPad
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have not received a Volume 5 beta, nor do I suspect we will until after Star Wars on Switch comes out September 13th.
    Ahh ok, thanks for confirming shutyertrap. How long is a Williams Zen Beta period usually - days/weeks?

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It varies, but in the past we’ve had 3-4 weeks with it.

We go a bit longer to test out the flipper physics.

My Devices
    Switch, IOS, PS4, PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its disappointing a bit. No new tables since end of May, and we need to wait even longer because of SW Switch, when other consoles/PC already got these tables. If they keep the spotlight on SW Switch for like a month, so we will only see new tables like by October? Could be the licensed one, but still, between May and October no new tables for 5 months is a bit rough.

My Devices
    PS4 (TPA, PFX3); Switch (Zaccaria)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
    but still, between May and October no new tables for 5 months is a bit rough.
    A bit rough, but nothing new. In the past, we had 8 month droughts where no new tables released out from Zen.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    A bit rough, but nothing new. In the past, we had 8 month droughts where no new tables released out from Zen.
    This.

My Devices
    PC, Mac, iOS mobile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    Yeah but that was their own content from scratch. Shouldn’t emulation go a wee bit faster? Especially if they are ramping up hiring as has been mentioned before?

And really again, if we are waiting because of the switch release, this only reinforces my thoughts on Zen being shorthanded and unable to juggle things at the same time like they ought to be able to. The release of a product on another platform should not have any impact at all on what they are do elsewhere....if they weren’t overextended in some way.

It’s disappointing, but just something we’ll have to live with I guess. At least this break has given me the opportunity to catch up on tickets and parts, so it’s not all bad. But I sure would like to know how many tables they plan on releasing for the balance of this year.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    But it’s not an issue of whether they can produce tables at the same time or anything. I’ve said it previously, this is a marketing strategy. Disney doesn’t put Star Wars 9 and Frozen 2 out two weeks from each other, they space them and give a dedicated marketing push focused on one first, then the other. They’ve got content lined up and waiting, beyond even those, but you don’t muddy the message. The analogy of course breaks down after that as we know intended release schedules from them for many years. But look at New Mutants. It was supposed to have come out in 2018. Then it got pushed for re-shoots, then Dark Phoenix got pushed and so it did too, then the Disney acquisition of Fox messed with it, and now it’s been on the shelf so long it has the stink of a bomb before anyone has seen one frame of the movie. Video games get delays for all manner of reasons, and I think Volume 5 is just a victim of timing at the moment.

My Devices
    PC, Mac, iOS mobile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disney doesn’t put Star Wars 9 and Frozen 2 out two weeks from each other
    That’s hardly comparable. Here we are talking about a new project for one platform, delaying an existing project for other platforms. Your analogy were be comparable if it was two different games for the same platform. But it's not. While I don’t doubt that there are some people who own a Switch that own other platforms, I doubt that is the vast majority of people. And I also question the whole marketing notion to begin with. Haven’t they been marketing the Switch release for months with the announcement? And yet, we had a Williams Pinball release during that time.

Switch Star Wars announcement: April 11th
    Williams vol. 4 announcement: May 15th

So there were concurrent marketing efforts.

My Devices
    PS4 (TPA, PFX3); Switch (Zaccaria)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scared Stiff View Post
    Yeah but that was their own content from scratch. Shouldn’t emulation go a wee bit faster? Especially if they are ramping up hiring as has been mentioned before?
    Like SYT said, it's more likely a marketing thing than anything else. With NDAs involved though, who knows what's really going on.

For all we know, Disney might have paid Zen to just market Star Wars Pinball for Switch and have nothing else complete with it. Or it could be that the rapid releases of Williams tables has saturated the market too much. Slowing down the release can help increase the sales numbers on the previously released packs.

My Devices
    Android and Steam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One good thing about this delay of Volume 5 might be if Zen gets some sort of deal with Disney to bring out Indiana Jones fantasy/real tables and if the rumors are true that Zen and Stern might be getting together that might open the door for Marvel/Simpsons/Star Wars/Tron licensed tables like Deadpool, Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Iron Man.
    Last edited by Blkthorne; 08-14-2019 at 07:09 AM.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
    Its disappointing a bit. No new tables since end of May, and we need to wait even longer because of SW Switch, when other consoles/PC already got these tables. If they keep the spotlight on SW Switch for like a month, so we will only see new tables like by October? Could be the licensed one, but still, between May and October no new tables for 5 months is a bit rough.
    After what Zen did to WH2O and RS, a longer time-out may be necessary.
    "Pay attention to backward!"

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast