Williams' Collection Volume 5 guesses

Oct 15, 2013
End song is in. Rock Around the Clock and Get A Job are missing. Said they contacted license holders but didn’t hear back from those two. They’re hoping eventually to get a response.

Since posting that I watched the Zen Twitch broadcast. So it's not really Zen's fault but the license holders. Still if those holders don't even get back to Zen what does that tell us? Zen tries to do things the right way and they still get burned. They must still be seen as small time by some of these people. Makes it hard to see everything coming together with bigger licensed tables in the future. Something is always missing or might be coming soon with each table release. Especially on console. Even if the missing tracks get a patch the cost of console re-submission as we all know puts a further delay on things. Ugh.

Oct 15, 2013
I mean the other options would be to not release it at all or release it complete and get sued. FarSight had to make the same decision with licensed music/art/logos and they made the same call as Zen and removed the content they couldn't license.

If the license holders can't even get back to them it's not a forgone conclusion they would get sued. Obviously Zen is doing things the right way though but I'm just saying. Also FarSight was much looser with the getting permission stuff than Zen has been.

Oct 15, 2013
I think Creature has five licensed songs that are supposed to play randomly with each ball. The TPA version only licensed three of these songs (well, I think one was public domain), and they tied each ball with a different song.

If zen acquired the license for all 5 songs, would we even hear the other two since each game seems to start at the rom’s Save State?

Really? Well all I know is that I hear Rock Around the Clock a lot while playing Creature in TPA. On Zen's broadcast it was just the same song playing over and over and it wasn't as good. Also watching PinWiz's Twitch broadcast he pointed out that the callouts for the Snackbar were overdone. I think there was another issue too. Monster Bash looks really good in this pack but Creature doesn't seem as polished. Ten bucks for one table? Hmmmmmmmm. Looking at the remaining DMD tables that are coming I think I might hold out for TOTAN, Cactus Canyon, etc. More bang for my buck. Also us console people could use another sale. I still haven't tried the new flipper physics either. Only have Volumes 2 and 3.

PinJimmy

Jun 27, 2012
Really? Well all I know is that I hear Rock Around the Clock a lot while playing Creature in TPA. On Zen's broadcast it was just the same song playing over and over and it wasn't as good. Also watching PinWiz's Twitch broadcast he pointed out that the callouts for the Snackbar were overdone. I think there was another issue too. Monster Bash looks really good in this pack but Creature doesn't seem as polished. Ten bucks for one table? Hmmmmmmmm. Looking at the remaining DMD tables that are coming I think I might hold out for TOTAN, Cactus Canyon, etc. More bang for my buck. Also us console people could use another sale. I still haven't tried the new flipper physics either. Only have Volumes 2 and 3.

Us console people could use an option to turn off the censorship aswell. I am still curious how much they censored the creature table

Oct 15, 2013
Us console people could use an option to turn off the censorship aswell. I am still curious how much they censored the creature table

I figured the censorship issue goes without saying.:rolleyes: As far as Creature censorship I heard it was just the woman's dress and vehicles being changed due to not wanting to pay for additional licensing.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
That end song kind of sounds like earth angel but also sounds like oh Donna and several others. it's actually an original song made to homage several songs.

HighFive

Jun 9, 2019
Ok, really cant wait to have Zen physics to play CFTBL , im pretty sure being able to do better ball control it will make me rage less than i am currently doing playing the TPA version. I got one good multiball with all the games i played, hard time separating balls. Just cant wait, im really starting to dig this pin!

Still wondering where the 2nd song Get a Job kicks in. Rock around the clock is the 3rd ball song, just dont know where the Get the Job song is. More endgame?

sh4wnsm1th

Oct 11, 2018
When Stern puts out a code update, do any in the pinball community raise a fuss over their high scores? Of course not. They hunker down and play another round of pinball.

This is what frustrates me with leaderboards for digital pinball. I have no sympathy for anyone's 5 hour marathon that they don't wish to repeat. Suck it up, buttercup, and do it again if it's so damn important to you. Why the entire fanbase should suffer with older physics in order to avoid backlash from a VERY small but unfortunately vocal minority is sheer stupidity. Pinball is meant to be played over and over, not a climb to the peak and never do it again experience. A prize fighter doesn't win the title to never defend it again, every sports team starts at square one at the beginning of a season, but for some insane reason leaderboards need to be forever.

Yep, this is my soapbox and I've been on it since 2013.

Agreed, in real life, I've set the 1st place and 3rd place scores on a machine, only to lose those scores by the end of the week. Either due to someone beating them, or scores being wiped every week. Didn't matter, as I could routinely place 2nd-3rd on the machine when I did play, so I'd do that easily. They should just inform people that going forward, we will be resetting the leaderboards every x timeframe. Don't know if that would reduce the threats, but should only receive them after the initial annoucement. That or just block comments/dms for the time being after the announcement.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Since posting that I watched the Zen Twitch broadcast. So it's not really Zen's fault but the license holders. Still if those holders don't even get back to Zen what does that tell us? Zen tries to do things the right way and they still get burned. They must still be seen as small time by some of these people.
Man, if somebody sees Zen as small-time... I mean, we're talking about a company that's worked with South Park, *MARVEL*, and *STAR WARS*. There's no bigger licenses than those.

Curratum

Oct 10, 2019
Man, if somebody sees Zen as small-time... I mean, we're talking about a company that's worked with South Park, *MARVEL*, and *STAR WARS*. There's no bigger licenses than those.

It's only small-time because the game's genre is very niche compared to mainstream titles, hence the revenue potential for the big fish is not particularly exciting.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
I also posted this hilariously awesome BK2000 music video in the music video thread... but just wanted to chime in that i really hope we get black knight and black knight 2000. I am very curious to know if Zen has the Black Knight rights or if Stern actually bought that one property from the holders in a side deal and have complete ownership on the name. anyways this video will pump you up to play some BK2000... and real pinball competitions look nothing like this lol.

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019
I also posted this hilariously awesome BK2000 music video in the music video thread... but just wanted to chime in that i really hope we get black knight and black knight 2000. I am very curious to know if Zen has the Black Knight rights or if Stern actually bought that one property from the holders in a side deal and have complete ownership on the name. anyways this video will pump you up to play some BK2000... and real pinball competitions look nothing like this lol.

Hmm, that is a very good question and a new wrinkle that I had never considered with the release of the new Black Knight table.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I've just had a look at a calendar and noticed that Christmas Eve is a Tuesday this year. Given that FX3 releases are usually on a Tuesday that makes it very likely that the next pack will be released on 17th December rather than 24th; announcement 2 weeks before so something like 3rd or 4th December for Williams unlicensed DMD 3 pack. So I think we'll find out next week if it will be a pack with Cirqus Voltaire, or if it will be one with TotAN. A short gap after the long wait for Universal Monsters.

Also think it much more likely that first Williams release in 2020 will be a licensed table/pack, with Williams Volume 6 later; although both could be preceded by a Zen originals pack.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I've just had a look at a calendar and noticed that Christmas Eve is a Tuesday this year. Given that FX3 releases are usually on a Tuesday that makes it very likely that the next pack will be released on 17th December rather than 24th; announcement 2 weeks before so something like 3rd or 4th December for Williams unlicensed DMD 3 pack. So I think we'll find out next week if it will be a pack with Cirqus Voltaire, or if it will be one with TotAN. A short gap after the long wait for Universal Monsters.

Also think it much more likely that first Williams release in 2020 will be a licensed table/pack, with Williams Volume 7 later; although both could be preceded by a Zen originals pack.
I'm not sure a software studio would release that close to a public holiday. I'm thinking it may be a week earlier.

At least that's how I'd do it for my own sanity.

Gusbomb

Jun 15, 2018
A Zen Williams pack walks into a bar, the pack advertised as another monster table, a holiday table, and a celebrity table.
Bartender says, "What'll you have, Taxi?"

Mar 9, 2012
I'm not sure a software studio would release that close to a public holiday. I'm thinking it may be a week earlier.

At least that's how I'd do it for my own sanity.

If i recall correctly games have to be submitted at the beginning of december for them to be sold on the store before january because of the holidays..

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
If i recall correctly games have to be submitted at the beginning of december for them to be sold on the store before january because of the holidays..

Somewhat. But the practice of not releasing in late December is also a holdover from retail where you couldn’t launch after Thanksgiving because the big box chains like Walmart couldn’t get it to the shelves in time during the holiday season. When the releases are largely only digital, it opens up more possibilities, but I don’t think any company really wants to do tech support resulting from launch issues on Christmas Day if it launches 12/24 either. But the allure of gift card redemption sales after Christmas Is strong too.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.