Williams' Collection Volume 5 guesses

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It varies, but in the past we’ve had 3-4 weeks with it.

We go a bit longer to test out the flipper physics.

HighFive

Jun 9, 2019
We have not received a Volume 5 beta, nor do I suspect we will until after Star Wars on Switch comes out September 13th.

Its disappointing a bit. No new tables since end of May, and we need to wait even longer because of SW Switch, when other consoles/PC already got these tables. If they keep the spotlight on SW Switch for like a month, so we will only see new tables like by October? Could be the licensed one, but still, between May and October no new tables for 5 months is a bit rough.

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019
A bit rough, but nothing new. In the past, we had 8 month droughts where no new tables released out from Zen.

Yeah but that was their own content from scratch. Shouldn’t emulation go a wee bit faster? Especially if they are ramping up hiring as has been mentioned before?

And really again, if we are waiting because of the switch release, this only reinforces my thoughts on Zen being shorthanded and unable to juggle things at the same time like they ought to be able to. The release of a product on another platform should not have any impact at all on what they are do elsewhere....if they weren’t overextended in some way.

It’s disappointing, but just something we’ll have to live with I guess. At least this break has given me the opportunity to catch up on tickets and parts, so it’s not all bad. But I sure would like to know how many tables they plan on releasing for the balance of this year.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
But it’s not an issue of whether they can produce tables at the same time or anything. I’ve said it previously, this is a marketing strategy. Disney doesn’t put Star Wars 9 and Frozen 2 out two weeks from each other, they space them and give a dedicated marketing push focused on one first, then the other. They’ve got content lined up and waiting, beyond even those, but you don’t muddy the message. The analogy of course breaks down after that as we know intended release schedules from them for many years. But look at New Mutants. It was supposed to have come out in 2018. Then it got pushed for re-shoots, then Dark Phoenix got pushed and so it did too, then the Disney acquisition of Fox messed with it, and now it’s been on the shelf so long it has the stink of a bomb before anyone has seen one frame of the movie. Video games get delays for all manner of reasons, and I think Volume 5 is just a victim of timing at the moment.

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019
Disney doesn’t put Star Wars 9 and Frozen 2 out two weeks from each other

That’s hardly comparable. Here we are talking about a new project for one platform, delaying an existing project for other platforms. Your analogy were be comparable if it was two different games for the same platform. But it's not. While I don’t doubt that there are some people who own a Switch that own other platforms, I doubt that is the vast majority of people. And I also question the whole marketing notion to begin with. Haven’t they been marketing the Switch release for months with the announcement? And yet, we had a Williams Pinball release during that time.

Switch Star Wars announcement: April 11th
Williams vol. 4 announcement: May 15th

So there were concurrent marketing efforts.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Yeah but that was their own content from scratch. Shouldn’t emulation go a wee bit faster? Especially if they are ramping up hiring as has been mentioned before?
Like SYT said, it's more likely a marketing thing than anything else. With NDAs involved though, who knows what's really going on.

For all we know, Disney might have paid Zen to just market Star Wars Pinball for Switch and have nothing else complete with it. Or it could be that the rapid releases of Williams tables has saturated the market too much. Slowing down the release can help increase the sales numbers on the previously released packs.

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
One good thing about this delay of Volume 5 might be if Zen gets some sort of deal with Disney to bring out Indiana Jones fantasy/real tables and if the rumors are true that Zen and Stern might be getting together that might open the door for Marvel/Simpsons/Star Wars/Tron licensed tables like Deadpool, Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Iron Man.

Last edited:

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Its disappointing a bit. No new tables since end of May, and we need to wait even longer because of SW Switch, when other consoles/PC already got these tables. If they keep the spotlight on SW Switch for like a month, so we will only see new tables like by October? Could be the licensed one, but still, between May and October no new tables for 5 months is a bit rough.

After what Zen did to WH2O and RS, a longer time-out may be necessary.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Not that I care for those 2 tables, just curious, what and how did Zen mess up on them? :)

I can understand not caring for them-we all have different preferences. But WH2O screwed up the sounds and music horribly. (The BGM is one of my all-time favorites in a pinball not named "Metallica") Ramps are near impossible to hit on both tables in PFX3. I'm not expecting TPA-ish ramp spamming, but I can hit the ramps on both tables IRL-I know because I've played both real tables in the past month.

However, I'm still confident that Zen will address these issues much sooner than FarSight would have.
Here's where I stand so far: Pack 1 rocked, Pack 2-only liked AFM, but great attention to detail. , Pack 3-well done execution-wise but lukewarm table selection (exception: ToM), and Pack-4-great table selection but bad execution.

mystman12

Apr 21, 2013
I can understand not caring for them-we all have different preferences. But WH2O screwed up the sounds and music horribly. (The BGM is one of my all-time favorites in a pinball not named "Metallica") Ramps are near impossible to hit on both tables in PFX3. I'm not expecting TPA-ish ramp spamming, but I can hit the ramps on both tables IRL-I know because I've played both real tables in the past month.

However, I'm still confident that Zen will address these issues much sooner than FarSight would have.
Here's where I stand so far: Pack 1 rocked, Pack 2-only liked AFM, but great attention to detail. , Pack 3-well done execution-wise but lukewarm table selection (exception: ToM), and Pack-4-great table selection but bad execution.

I really haven't had any issues with hitting the shots on those games. Whitewater does seem a bit more difficult than I'm used to, but once I got dialed in on Roadshow I was able to get some good games going. I'd probably be at the same point with Whitewater, but I've barely played it since they messed up the music so bad (WH20 is one of my favorite soundtracks as well)...

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
Ramps are near impossible to hit on both tables in PFX3. I'm not expecting TPA-ish ramp spamming, but I can hit the ramps on both tables IRL-I know because I've played both real tables in the past month.

I really haven't had any issues with hitting the shots on those games. Whitewater does seem a bit more difficult than I'm used to, but once I got dialed in on Roadshow I was able to get some good games going. I'd probably be at the same point with Whitewater, but I've barely played it since they messed up the music so bad (WH20 is one of my favorite soundtracks as well)...

I've played both tables a lot over the last two weeks and I can't say that I have a problem with hitting the ramps other than that you have to be accurate as a miss is unforgiving, especially on White Water.

I guess I'm lucky regarding the White Water music as I never play with music on. I've rarely played pinball in real life so I don't have any nostalgia for the music and gets irritated with it quickly irrespective of the table. I know that is just me so hope that Zen will address it quickly.

HighFive

Jun 9, 2019

As much as i love to believe Zen will fix issues faster than Farsight, i am not so sure. Two month and a half now and Road Show on Nintendo Switch rewind camera bug is still not fixed, and i think these update are tied to be applied on future release. Well Farsight not doing better with Stern Pack with ACDC got completely removed and nothing as come in to replace it. God, Switch is really getting hammered by bad luck for pinball i guess...

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019
Not that I care for those 2 tables, just curious, what and how did Zen mess up on them? :)

The only thing I have noticed, at least on the iOS version, is that the ball on White Water often falls between the humps on the left side and then immediately drains out down the middle between the flippers. So annoying.

ZREXMike2

Oct 22, 2018
The only thing I have noticed, at least on the iOS version, is that the ball on White Water often falls between the humps on the left side and then immediately drains out down the middle between the flippers. So annoying.

tried playing pinball on my phone, just not for me. spoiled by consoles and psvita i guess. :)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I wasn’t able to stand it on my iPhone 5s, but on the much larger screen of my 7 Plus, I quite enjoy it now (though still not even close to how much I prefer playing on my computer)

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
I only play it on my iPad. Have PA and ZEN on consoles but much prefer it on the iPad. Always at my side and ready to go for a quick game. No booting up times and I prefer it in portrait. The only downside is the nudging.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.