Williams' Collection Volume 5 guesses

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Oh great, so we're not only at the mercy of them not wanting to go over an E10+ rating, but we're also at the mercy of them not wanting certain terms under the rating.

That's even worse.

The bright side to that is that means this pack is it on dmd machines and we get only licensed or Alphanumerics next. Not bad for the first year of Williams Fx3.

I would gladly push or sacrifice Jack bot and Who Dunnit for faster access to Taxi, Diner, Funhouse and so many others or any licensed games (or Stern??!?) faster.

skyway73

Feb 16, 2015
Watching the Twitch stream, Deep was responsible for CV and said he tried to improve the lighting. I thought it was noticeably better, can't wait to try it.

Sara

Jul 20, 2013
Finally, CV... T_T
Apparently looks great, and the ability to select your neon color is a surprising little touch to give, considering it's not something utilized in other tables.
It seems a little silly to have the Ringmaster as the 3D model when he's already an animated toy in addition to that.
I wonder if he'll change into Voltaire during unmasking in wizard mode.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Remember, the ESRB is not an independant regulatory agency. It's part of the ESA, so their interests are with the larger game companies, not the consumer. Their goal is to show they can self-regulate enough to keep government oversight off their backs. So yes, the ESRB will bend over backwards to accommodate lucrative gambling mechanics in something a big publisher like EA puts out, but will still put the hammer down on Zen for showing a slot machine in an E10 game to make it look like they are doing their job.

PinJimmy

Jun 27, 2012
I hope they will keep on improving the physics aswell. At this point how it is now is not bad but it can always get better.
Were still at the point that you have more control on a real machine then on zens version. For instance it feels like drop catches on a real table are not that hard to do compared to the digital version.

The guy from spacies arcade seems like a good guy that wants the best physics but watching him play pinball doesnt give you the impression he is good at it. Would be great if they could ask Deadflip or another good pinball player what they think of it and if they got some suggestions too improve it.

And again im not saying the physics arent good and if you want to lock em in and keep em like this thats fine but I think they can be better. Just my opinion here. I know a lot of guys here were allready happy how the physics were when the first pack got released.

Last edited:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
what a great lot ,December 10th , No Good Gofers , TOTAN , Circus Voltaire . am I bloody happy , you betcha little booties !!!:cool::D:cool:

HighFive

Jun 9, 2019
Not sure if anyone guessed that TotaN and Cirqus Voltaire would be in the same pack.

Nope. Nobody guess that. Its really surprising. Each pack got one big hitter ( MM, AmF, ToM, WW, MB ), seeing two big hitters like Totan and CV is strange, but very welcomed. But now i have lot of doubt we will see Jackbot ( unless release as a Pinbot trilogy? ), Cactus Canyon, perhaps having difficulty finding it, and Who Dunnit which i dont see why its not released yet and not include in this pack, CV would have been a top seller alone with two average title ( example ToM with CPub and Safecracker ).

Now i really have no clue what pack no.6 will be. But this pack will be very amazing, might enjoy finally NGG.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Best pack yet, 3 A+ tables imo. Would have thought NGG enhanced would have been an animated Buzz & Budd though, will reserve judgement for the 10th. I personally think Cactus Canyon, Jackbot and WhoDunnit would make a great vol.6 pack - not an amazing pack, but still good nonetheless!

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
I hope they will keep on improving the physics aswell. At this point how it is now is not bad but it can always get better.
Were still at the point that you have more control on a real machine then on zens version. For instance it feels like drop catches on a real table are not that hard to do compared to the digital version.

The guy from spacies arcade seems like a good guy that wants the best physics but watching him play pinball doesnt give you the impression he is good at it. Would be great if they could ask Deadflip or another good pinball player what they think of it and if they got some suggestions too improve it.

And again im not saying the physics arent good and if you want to lock em in and keep em like this thats fine but I think they can be better. Just my opinion here. I know a lot of guys here were allready happy how the physics were when the first pack got released.

I'm pretty happy with the physics and especially live catches are very doable on Universal Monsters. Even tips passes and flicks to break the balls momentum i.e. prevent it from rolling off the flipper is possible, which was there in Vol 4, but not at all reliable. I'm actually more of the opinion that they slowed the ball down a bit too much and along with that, that they made the ball movement too predictable - compare e.g. the ball being ejected from the scoop on Attack from Mars with Monster Bash. On Monster Bash you can control the ball using the same approach each and every time while on Attack from Mars you have to read what the ball is doing. Watching real table play i.e. PAPA videos, the biggest struggle is to get the ball under control. That used to be the case on the previous Volumes, but on Universal Monsters it has become predicatable and easy (relatively speaking). On Creature I can live catch the ball just about each time on the right flipper from the bumpers. Loosing the ball comes from your own mistakes, rather than from reacting incorrectly to slight variation in bounce etc. It feels a whole lot more like Zen physics predictability now.

Either way, it is a moot point because it seem like Zen has settled on the Universal Monsters physics for Vol 5. It is fine and I'm still looking forward to the tables, I'm just a bit concerned that the challenge will be a bit diminished compared to the first Volumes.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Best pack yet, 3 A+ tables imo. Would have thought NGG enhanced would have been an animated Buzz & Budd though, will reserve judgement for the 10th. I personally think Cactus Canyon, Jackbot and WhoDunnit would make a great vol.6 pack - not an amazing pack, but still good nonetheless!

I especially think Cactus Canyon would benefit the most from the Zen treatment-since it's such a rare table IRL and got digitized early in the run of TPA. If it does hopefully Zen can include the rare "complete" rom. Not holding my breath though!

I've been playing a lot more PFX3 lately-MB and CFTBL were very well done IMO. I'm still a little put off by Road Show as the ramps are much harder to hit in the FX version than they are IRL. I'm excited to see all three (CV, TOTAN, and NGG) in the next pack. The former two were said to be real bears for FarSight to handle.

PinJimmy

Jun 27, 2012
I'm pretty happy with the physics and especially live catches are very doable on Universal Monsters. Even tips passes and flicks to break the balls momentum i.e. prevent it from rolling off the flipper is possible, which was there in Vol 4, but not at all reliable. I'm actually more of the opinion that they slowed the ball down a bit too much and along with that, that they made the ball movement too predictable - compare e.g. the ball being ejected from the scoop on Attack from Mars with Monster Bash. On Monster Bash you can control the ball using the same approach each and every time while on Attack from Mars you have to read what the ball is doing. Watching real table play i.e. PAPA videos, the biggest struggle is to get the ball under control. That used to be the case on the previous Volumes, but on Universal Monsters it has become predicatable and easy (relatively speaking). On Creature I can live catch the ball just about each time on the right flipper from the bumpers. Loosing the ball comes from your own mistakes, rather than from reacting incorrectly to slight variation in bounce etc. It feels a whole lot more like Zen physics predictability now.

Either way, it is a moot point because it seem like Zen has settled on the Universal Monsters physics for Vol 5. It is fine and I'm still looking forward to the tables, I'm just a bit concerned that the challenge will be a bit diminished compared to the first Volumes.

I understand that you want it be a real challenge but what if the real tables are easier and more predictable then their digital versions? For example check out PAPA video of Road Show. He is a good player but look how much easier it is to control the ball on the real table and then play the digital version.

Its probably comes down to what people want out of the digital game. Do they want it as realistic as possible to simulate the real table or make it harder and more challenging cause its digital version and you play it more often.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Cactus Canyon Continued is a fan made ROM based on notes from the developers. It never existed even in the design phase, so not sure Zen will be able to do it, other than if they programmed it themselves. It’s a real bummer, cuz CCC is so much fun and better in every way than basic CC.

As for comparing digital to PAPA vids, let’s not forget that EVERY table plays different from each other. I was regularly playing 4 different Creature machines and they all had their unique quirks. At a certain point (and be happy if it was now), Zen needs to lock physics down and apply then to the back catalog so all WMS feel in sync. If you forever tweak, you end up with TPA and inconsistency across the collection that only highlight the early flaws.

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019
Very excited for this pack! Two of my favorites and one...eh....well I will try it a few times. But not looking forward to collecting tickets for a table (NGG) I care nothing about.

PinJimmy

Jun 27, 2012
Ye but as you notice they are not locking it down and not bringing these physics to the other packs. So they might aswell keep on tweaking and see what the response is. And then maybe over two years when they finally decide to adjust the older tables in pinball fx4 they can pick the right physics And apply it. :)

Last edited:

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
I understand that you want it be a real challenge but what if the real tables are easier and more predictable then their digital versions? For example check out PAPA video of Road Show. He is a good player but look how much easier it is to control the ball on the real table and then play the digital version.

Its probably comes down to what people want out of the digital game. Do they want it as realistic as possible to simulate the real table or make it harder and more challenging cause its digital version and you play it more often.

As for comparing digital to PAPA vids, let’s not forget that EVERY table plays different from each other. I was regularly playing 4 different Creature machines and they all had their unique quirks. At a certain point (and be happy if it was now), Zen needs to lock physics down and apply then to the back catalog so all WMS feel in sync. If you forever tweak, you end up with TPA and inconsistency across the collection that only highlight the early flaws.

Maybe it is because I'm Afrikaans speaking and English is my second language but nobody seems to understand my basic point ;-). Before Universal Monsters the game was too difficult (on Classic Arcade that I mostly play), but not because of the ball speed being too fast, after Universal Monsters the game is too easy compared to real life because the ball speed has been slowed down too much and the gameplay is too predicatable (relatively speaking off course). Looking at MB, in real life going for Frankenstein is taking your life in your own hands and you can't even think about doing it from the right, in the game it is a relatively non issue. Another example is dealing with the ball being ejected from the scoop, in real life it is a struggle to bring the ball under control, while in the game you can safely rinse and repeat the same trick. Here is another example showing how much of a struggle it is to bring the ball under control in the real game... none such issues in the game. In Creature from the Black Lagoon you hit the snack bar on demand from the right flipper while in the real table it is too risky. So yes, I want it as realistic as possible compared to the real deal and at the moment they have made it too predictable and controllable relative to the real thing. I really enjoyed the challenge for Ruler of the Universe on Classic Arcade but that is not realistic and is way too hard - only 6 players have managed to beat it on Classic Arcade and none on tournament.

I fully agree that they need to lock it down and update the previous tables (really looking forward to MM and AfM), but while they have not done so yet, there is an opportunity to make the points like I did above so that Zen / Deep can either agree or disagree and tweak the physics some more.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Maybe it is because I'm Afrikaans speaking and English is my second language but nobody seems to understand my basic point ;-). Before Universal Monsters the game was too difficult (on Classic Arcade that I mostly play), but not because of the ball speed being too fast, after Universal Monsters the game is too easy compared to real life because the ball speed has been slowed down too much and the gameplay is too predicatable (relatively speaking off course). Looking at MB, in real life going for Frankenstein is taking your life in your own hands and you can't even think about doing it from the right, in the game it is a relatively non issue. Another example is dealing with the ball being ejected from the scoop, in real life it is a struggle to bring the ball under control, while in the game you can safely rinse and repeat the same trick. Here is another example showing how much of a struggle it is to bring the ball under control in the real game... none such issues in the game. In Creature from the Black Lagoon you hit the snack bar on demand from the right flipper while in the real table it is too risky. So yes, I want it as realistic as possible compared to the real deal and at the moment they have made it too predictable and controllable relative to the real thing. I really enjoyed the challenge for Ruler of the Universe on Classic Arcade but that is not realistic and is way too hard - only 6 players have managed to beat it on Classic Arcade and none on tournament.

I fully agree that they need to lock it down and update the previous tables (really looking forward to MM and AfM), but while they have not done so yet, there is an opportunity to make the points like I did above so that Zen / Deep can either agree or disagree and tweak the physics some more.

Cloda, I understand the point you are making.

Perhaps Deep will make some further little tweaks so that the ‘ease of control’ will be a little less predictable again.

Then, please can we just lock it down and apply across all WMS tables.

twopossums

Apr 14, 2019
That’s a great pack. I love how for weeks we’ve all been so sure it was either going to be all Williams or all Bally in the pack then Zen changes it up. Every time we think we’ve got the pattern down of release schedules or how the challenges work they tweet something. Drives me crazy but at the end of the day the games themselves are rock solid. Can’t wait to play these!!!

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
The points I'm trying to make about the physics are moot now because Zen explained in their stream last night (which I only now watched), that they kept the physics the same for this new pack and that this is what they are pushing to implement in the previous Volumes. I made my peace now and am celebrating Zen and Deep's amazing work. I'll keep on playing because it is still awesome and now that Zen made it an easier game, I'll get a chance to play some other games again :D

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.