Williams Pinball Vol. 4 – May 28 – White Water! Hurricane! Red and Ted's Road Show!

pinfan7

Banned
May 19, 2019
As an update to what was said in the interview with Mel about new flipper physics...

He was mistaken that the new physics will be applied to all the tables straight away. For now they will only be available on the Volume 4 pack.

In a lot of ways this will sort of be a public beta, they are going to be looking for lots of feedback. I suspect once that is given, they'll then go and apply all that to the rest. Easier to troubleshoot when everyone is focused on the same 3 tables. That being said, I've got no problem with what I've been playing in beta, so yeah.

Hi shutyertrap and thanks for the awesome blahcasts you are doing. Can you also ask Mel in another blahcast if the slowed down "tournament mode" physics of Vol.3 (equivalent to "arcade mode" in Vol.1 & 2 in terms of speed), will be the norm from now, Vol.4 and on, and most importantly if they have plans either bringing those to the old tables (Vol.1 & 2) for consistency reasons (having the same experience across all tables), or vice-versa bringing the "tournament mode" physics of Vol.1&2 to Vol.3&4 and on, to give those tables also that unique feel of participating in a real life tournament like PAPA Vol1&2 had, which was lost in Vol.3. Personally I prefer the Tournament mode physics of Vol1&2 but I could live with the first solution as well, as long they are everywhere consistent, because switching Volumes is quite a shock right now .

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hi shutyertrap and thanks for the awesome blahcasts you are doing. Can you also ask Mel in another blahcast if the slowed down "tournament mode" physics of Vol.3 (equivalent to "arcade mode" in Vol.1 & 2 in terms of speed), will be the norm from now, Vol.4 and on, and if they have plans either bringing those to the old tables (Vol.1 & 2) for consistency reasons (having the same experience across all tables), or vice-versa bringing the "tournament mode" physics of Vol.1&2 to Vol.3&4 and on, to give those tables also that unique feel of participating in a real life tournament like PAPA Vol1&2 had, which was lost in Vol.3. Personally I prefer the Tournament mode physics of Vol1&2 but I could live with the first solution as well, as long they are everywhere consistent, because switching Volumes is quite a shock right now .

Thanks in advance :)

I wasn't aware of any changes to the physics. Tournament mode primarily adjusts the game settings in terms of scores needed and extra balls not being given. If the option of having outlane settings is present, those will be adjusted too, and it was mentioned table slope might also be tweaked. Your best bet for getting an answer on this, as this is so not what Mel does, is to contact Zen via Twitter, maybe snoop out what Deep's Twitter is as ultimately he is the one making these adjustments.

pinfan7

Banned
May 19, 2019
I wasn't aware of any changes to the physics. Tournament mode primarily adjusts the game settings in terms of scores needed and extra balls not being given. If the option of having outlane settings is present, those will be adjusted too, and it was mentioned table slope might also be tweaked. Your best bet for getting an answer on this, as this is so not what Mel does, is to contact Zen via Twitter, maybe snoop out what Deep's Twitter is as ultimately he is the one making these adjustments.

Thanks, though that sounds a lot of spionage work and I don't have twitter anyway :) I am referring to the tournament physics of Classic Single Player with the tournament setup, I'm surprised you don't notice the difference! Can't be. Or maybe I used the wrong word (can't remember Zen's language it's a bit of a mess there) misleading you. Try playing Theater of Magic for a while then switch to any Vol1&2 table like Party Zone, Fish Tales, Medieval Madness, etc. The speed of the ball is at least about 30% faster there!

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks, though that sounds a lot of spionage work and I don't have twitter anyway :) I am referring to the tournament physics of Classic Single Player with the tournament setup, I'm surprised you don't notice the difference! Can't be. Or maybe I used the wrong word (can't remember Zen's language it's a bit of a mess there) misleading you. Try playing Theater of Magic for a while then switch to any Vol1&2 table like Party Zone, Fish Tales, Medieval Madness, etc. The speed of the ball is at least about 30% faster there!

I know you were referring to the physics, but they are exactly the same as if you selected Arcade instead. The only difference is the rake of the playfield, the outlane post adjustments, and certain scoring parameters.

I just had a go on MM, ToM, Party Zone, and Champ Pub with Tournament selected. I did not feel a pronounced difference. If anything, the difference I felt was in I've been playing with the new flipper physics on the 3 new tables for a few weeks now, and it's odd not having them for Volumes 1-3!

pinfan7

Banned
May 19, 2019
How about some tables we haven't played to death in TPA?!
Fire!, Mad Catz,...

Actually, you are playing those tables for the first time, as whatever existed pre-Zen was an illusion of playing pinball, a fake experience, like Windows 95' space cadet.

Last edited:

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Actually, you are playing those tables for the first time, as whatever existed pre-Zen was an illusion of playing pinball, a fake experience, like Windows 95' space cadet.

Ha ha :D It certainly looks and feels that way. Vol 4 physics is going to cement that view even further. :)

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Yeah, the Junkyard table doesn't even remotely play like TPA. I think the bumpers are also a bit more realistic. No longer getting Super Jets without applying any effort. TPA, in general, was great, FX3 is even better.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I know I wasn't irked at Farsight for recreating High Speed and Pinbot even though I had them for NES.

pinfan7

Banned
May 19, 2019
I know you were referring to the physics, but they are exactly the same as if you selected Arcade instead. The only difference is the rake of the playfield, the outlane post adjustments, and certain scoring parameters.

I just had a go on MM, ToM, Party Zone, and Champ Pub with Tournament selected. I did not feel a pronounced difference. If anything, the difference I felt was in I've been playing with the new flipper physics on the 3 new tables for a few weeks now, and it's odd not having them for Volumes 1-3!

I'm sure I've read from the devs themselves that the tournament setup physics provide also a steepier table angle which makes the ball move faster, which I can easily confirm with my eyes when switching from tournament to arcade physics in any table and for sure for tournament setup between Vol1&2 vs 3 as I already said . Who knows maybe you can't because of... your age :p :D

Last edited:

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019
This looks like a solid pack to me.
“Road Show” and “Whitewater” are favorites — and I can’t wait for the improved physics and enhancements!

I recently tried to play AFM on TPA and found that it was *impossible* after being exposed to the Zen version. So I don't really feel like I own any of these tables until they are available via FX3!

Exactly. I feel the same way. When you go back to TPA, especially on mobile, you quickly realize how inadequate it is. The lighting, the physics..everything is just not right. The playfields are of a lower resolution and colors not as good. Farsight was just a bit over their head I think. But I do thank them for bringing so many tables to the home gaming market. I never would have thought Banzai Run would be on my iPad for instance!

So I don’t mind Zen covering the same ground. I feel like I am getting the real arcade experience for the first time. Though certainly I look forward to something never made in TPA too. Like Flash or Vector for instance. :)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
At various points today and all weekend, I’ll be playing the Vol. 4 tables and broadcasting via Steam for anyone that wants to see. Just look up ‘shutyertrap’ and choose the watch option. I post to Twitter on the BlahCade account when I plan to be playing. You can comment while I’m playing and I’m happy to show whatever you want to see with these new tables.

One time I can announce early is playing at 2pm PDT on Saturday. That’s an hour before we do our podcast recording session on YouTube, which you can also watch live, and of course these tables will be the main topic.

See you in the streams!

twopossums

Apr 14, 2019
Ok it's 8:46 pm EST and still no pack 4 on the iphone. Has anybody gotten an update? I've been looking forward to this all weekend.

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Ok it's 8:46 pm EST and still no pack 4 on the iphone. Has anybody gotten an update? I've been looking forward to this all weekend.

Nothing on iPhone for me. Been holding off on the daily challenges until the new tables dropped hoping to get some parts for them.

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019

I think the holiday screwed things up at Apple, but Zen should have planned for that. They apparently didn’t. Hopefully we will see tomorrow.

Jmarc

Apr 14, 2019
I got word from Zen this morning that, “​...the new tables for iOS will be released soon, probably next week!”

“It is delayed due to technical issues.”

What a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019
I got word from Zen this morning that, “​...the new tables for iOS will be released soon, probably next week!”

“It is delayed due to technical issues.”

What a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

:( Wow. That’s really disappointing if it won’t be until next week when everyone else has it already.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.