Vol 4 Flipper Physics Video

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah I am. Flippers are solid as a rock.

Edit: thankfully now the little jerks are doing it on restarting the game.

Edit 2: Is there any plans to add the new flippers to the normal single player. Think my family would appreciate the easier gameplay of that mode but the new flipper physics make it hard to go back! ��

No, there is no intention of adding the new physics to Single Player. Even the flipper angle is steeper than Classic.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
Disappointing, I thought these new flipper physics were for single player... I think it would be foolish for them not to bring these far superior physics to single player also...

deep

Apr 16, 2019
Disappointing, I thought these new flipper physics were for single player... I think it would be foolish for them not to bring these far superior physics to single player also...
It is because there are many players who still like to play with the old fashioned flippers. We did not want to take away this option.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
It is because there are many players who still like to play with the old fashioned flippers. We did not want to take away this option.

Deep, I think this is the correct choice. Personally, I never play with the old physics but I understand the need to satisfy all players. Going this way keeps clear differentiation between the physics models.

Although obviously the players using the old physics just don’t know what they are missing! ;)

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012

Could it be a option for single player stashed somewhere? I imagine you are going to need to do both sets of flippers for each release now. Thinking of building a cab for my family who loves playing but ... Just would be nice to have a slightly easier pinball sim with flippers that do proper flipper things.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
Could it be a option for single player stashed somewhere? I imagine you are going to need to do both sets of flippers for each release now. Thinking of building a cab for my family who loves playing but ... Just would be nice to have a slightly easier pinball sim with flippers that do proper flipper things.

+1

I only play Single player since it has less bouncy rubbers. Would love to have proper flippers also...

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019
You can see some more video of the flippers in action on a livestream they did showing off the new tables. It was pretty fun, and I enjoyed hearing them chit chat about all kinds of stuff. Thanks for doing that guys.

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/431121308

But what could Deep’s Atari shirt mean? I am just going to call it now and say that’s a hint we are getting the rare Superman table Atari made. :cool: I am kidding of course, but wouldn’t that be nice?

deep

Apr 16, 2019
You can see some more video of the flippers in action on a livestream they did showing off the new tables. It was pretty fun, and I enjoyed hearing them chit chat about all kinds of stuff. Thanks for doing that guys.

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/431121308

But what could Deep’s Atari shirt mean? I am just going to call it now and say that’s a hint we are getting the rare Superman table Atari made. :cool: I am kidding of course, but wouldn’t that be nice?

Haha, I love your conspiracy theories :) I'm just an old school guy who loves '80s - '90s arcade games stuff. So no Superman table, sorry :D

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
[MENTION=7660]deep[/MENTION] I'm sure you've heard the requests for getting Williams physics into the Zen originals, and I get that'd be a ton of work and might not even be feasible on some tables. While you at Zen have that internal debate, can you go ahead and design the next batch of originals with the Williams physics as an option? I can tell you right now that would go over like gangbusters among this community.

deep

Apr 16, 2019
[MENTION=7660]deep[/MENTION] I'm sure you've heard the requests for getting Williams physics into the Zen originals, and I get that'd be a ton of work and might not even be feasible on some tables. While you at Zen have that internal debate, can you go ahead and design the next batch of originals with the Williams physics as an option? I can tell you right now that would go over like gangbusters among this community.

This is my plan exactly. I will do my best and push this to deciders at the office. Hopefully they will see this is the way we must step on and let me do it :)

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Having had only an hour or so play on Volume 4, I have to say that whilst I'm enjoying the new flipper physics, I'm initially feeling that the new flippers feel little 'slack', almost like the action feels a tad 'lazy'. It's difficult to discribe but I can't help feeling that the fippers now lack a little 'snap'.

The bounce back to the down state is perhaps little too exaggerated.

Also, the flipper bounce when the ball strikes a down state flipper is also a little too much imo.

Overall, I think we've gone from one extreme to another. That is, from a flipper action that was quite binary (in Vol 1-3) to one that now has a very exaggerated bounce action (in Vol 4).

Perhaps a setting somewhere in the middle would be better.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Having had only an hour or so play on Volume 4, I have to say that whilst I'm enjoying the new flipper physics, I'm initially feeling that the new flippers feel little 'slack', almost like the action feels a tad 'lazy'. It's difficult to discribe but I can't help feeling that the fippers now lack a little 'snap'.

The bounce back to the down state is perhaps little too exaggerated.

Also, the flipper bounce when the ball strikes a down state flipper is also a little too much imo.

Overall, I think we've gone from one extreme to another. That is, from a flipper action that was quite binary (in Vol 1-3) to one that now has a very exaggerated bounce action (in Vol 4).

Perhaps a setting somewhere in the middle would be better.

Remember the era of machine. Compared to my Eight Ball Deluxe, these flippers have all the ‘snap’ needed. Compared to a modern Stern? Those might be a bit tighter. Play an EM and holy crap talk about lazy.

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015

I have been out of the forums for some time. Zen originals...not exatcly at the heart of the conversations lately. Any time frames on this, or did I just not read back enough?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I have been out of the forums for some time. Zen originals...not exatcly at the heart of the conversations lately. Any time frames on this, or did I just not read back enough?

We were supposed to get a pack at the beginning of the year, but it’s since been postponed to sometime in 2020, as per Mel in our BlahCade podcast #175.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Remember the era of machine. Compared to my Eight Ball Deluxe, these flippers have all the ‘snap’ needed. Compared to a modern Stern? Those might be a bit tighter. Play an EM and holy crap talk about lazy.

That's true but having managed to get more time on these Vol 4 tables now, especially White Water, my feeling is still that the new flippers are just a little too springy. I think this could do with dialing back just a little bit please.

I'm also seeing the magic physics when the ball gets stuck at the bottom of the Insanity Falls ramp waaaaaay too often. Zen, you are too good for such physics cheats to be this noticable!

This really needs fixing please Zen.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.