Vol 4 Flipper Physics Video

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Going back to the Vol 4 flipper physics, I think Zen's own original comparison video gives a very good impression of how little spring back there is on the real flippers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts5rfZA-hNg

Compare that to what we are seeing now in Vol 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKYhVn3RpxQ

Whilst I think the work Deep is doing on improving the flipper physics is incredible, I can't help but feel the spring and bounce effect has gone a little too far.

As we can see in the first video, the effect is definitely there but it's not as pronounced as in the Vol 4 tables, imo.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm guessing you are referring strictly to the real table video in the first clip to the same in the 2nd? Because obviously since the second was done with a high speed camera for slo-mo, the effect is going to be more pronounced.

When we first got this in beta, the effect was indeed too pronounced as a lot of ball energy was absorbed. 2 days later we got the fix and in my mind it felt right. Of course this all is very subjective, and I wish there was a way of having say 3 different models of physics for us to test, all slight variations from each other, and then see if there is a consensus. Just to be clear though, do you feel it looks wrong as well as plays wrong, or is it just one of those?

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I'm guessing you are referring strictly to the real table video in the first clip to the same in the 2nd? Because obviously since the second was done with a high speed camera for slo-mo, the effect is going to be more pronounced.

When we first got this in beta, the effect was indeed too pronounced as a lot of ball energy was absorbed. 2 days later we got the fix and in my mind it felt right. Of course this all is very subjective, and I wish there was a way of having say 3 different models of physics for us to test, all slight variations from each other, and then see if there is a consensus. Just to be clear though, do you feel it looks wrong as well as plays wrong, or is it just one of those?

Yes that’s how I was comparing, real table in the first vid against vol 4 in the second.

I’m not so sure the laws of physics are subjective but I get what you mean about different settings etc.

It’s not necessarily ‘wrong’ in my view but I do think the look and feel is a little over exaggerated, compared to a real table, and I think those videos highlight the issue.

To be clear, we are talking about small margins here but then again pinball is all about those small margins! :cool:

Incidentally, PAPA have a whole series of flipper skills videos on YouTube showing real-time to super slow mo comparisons. This one is a good example I think:

https://youtu.be/PUj3Gel6zks

Last edited:

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
Irrespective if the effect is too exaggerated or not, it is still a vast improvement over the Vol 1 - 3 flipper physics and I’m sure they will refine it. I’m at the point now where I’m willing to wait until Zen implements the new Vol 4 flipper physics in the previous volumes before I play them again. I have played little of Volume 3 but what I couldn’t get right was to do a live catch on Theatre of Magic as the ball came down the right loop (as in the PAPA tutorial) and I’m sure, based on my experience with the new flipper physics on Road Show, that I’ll be able to do so once Zen applies it. I’m enjoying the ability to work on “real life” flipper skills and can already see an improvement in my game-play even on Mac (Zen Pinball 2), where I struggle to make my Xbox One controller more sensitive for finesse shots.

Members online

Members online