Stern Speculation

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
So it looks like the Brian Eddy designed Jurassic World table is the next release (about 3 to 4 weeks from now) from Stern. And since Zen has access to digital rights of the Jurassic Park/World franchise, could we possibly see a Stern table pop up from Zen sooner rather than later?

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
So it looks like the Brian Eddy designed Jurassic World table is the next release (about 3 to 4 weeks from now) from Stern. And since Zen has access to digital rights of the Jurassic Park/World franchise, could we possibly see a Stern table pop up from Zen sooner rather than later?

I'll never say no to more tables, but that seems like a fast turn around (unless this is why originals were moved to 2020)

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
I assumed zen originals moving was more of fallout with Zen signing an exclusive with the Epic store for Operencia and Steam being the main platform for FX3. Thats assuming one of the original tables is Operencia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
I wouldn't put too much hope into it, but if you want to go down that road, if there was a Stern deal and if they decided to push ahead with Jurassic World, since if I understand correctly Stern owns Data East's pinball assets, that would hopefully mean a recreation of the 90's Jurassic Park table as well. No matter what you feel about the table itself (It's high on the nostalgia factor for me), it was ubiquitous enough in 90's arcades that it seems like a shame not to make a digital recreation for posterity.

But regardless, if they do sign a Stern deal and start pushing out tables, I might prefer them to start with the new Black Knight.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Believe me, when Zen makes a deal with Stern, they're not gonna keep it a secret.

Like when they made a deal with Williams, supposedly developed FX3 around it, didn't say a word when Farsight lost the license and only revealed months later when pack 1 was near release? ;)

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Like when they made a deal with Williams, supposedly developed FX3 around it, didn't say a word when Farsight lost the license and only revealed months later when pack 1 was near release? ;)

Exactly. Considering that we know that the Zen studio is working on things that are up to 24 months from consumer release, I doubt that Zen and/or Stern would spill the beans when a deal is made, but probably much closer to actual release.

Also, Stern has even shifted their release announcements to be much closer to street date, which was first tried with Iron Maiden (which was a HUGE marketing success).

Gusbomb

Jun 15, 2018
Somewhere on these boards is an old quote from Mel saying that Fish Tales is his favorite real-world machine, long before The Great Bally/Williams Debacle, Reveal, and High-Wire Act, part of which was Fish Tales released as the free table accompanying Williams Pack 1. Very recently Zen has posted (Twitter I think) their three favorite tables in the corporate office: Willams Fish Tales, Stern AC/DC Lucy, and JJ Dialed In. Yesterday FarSight announced that we only have until June 30th to buy their AC/DC table - which is not the Lucy table, but also not the point. AC/DC is a licensing leviathan.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Yesterday FarSight announced that we only have until June 30th to buy their AC/DC table - which is not the Lucy table, but also not the point. AC/DC is a licensing leviathan.
That would actually be Epic https://www.epicrights.com/roster/acdc/

I prefer the AC/DC "LUCI" table too since I think the table has much better packaging and flow without the lower playfield.

But there is no way a LUCI (or just AC/DC) table gets an E for Everyone rating. Didn't Mel hint at an "After Dark" possibility?

Gusbomb

Jun 15, 2018
That would actually be Epic https://www.epicrights.com/roster/acdc/

I prefer the AC/DC "LUCI" table too since I think the table has much better packaging and flow without the lower playfield.

But there is no way a LUCI (or just AC/DC) table gets an E for Everyone rating. Didn't Mel hint at an "After Dark" possibility?

Yep, Epic is the parent folder of AC/DC, and thanks for the 'Luci' correction. I know about the lingering 'After Dark' concept but do not recall Mel chiming in. You're probably right, though.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yep, Epic is the parent folder of AC/DC, and thanks for the 'Luci' correction. I know about the lingering 'After Dark' concept but do not recall Mel chiming in. You're probably right, though.

Mel indeed said those words in the latest interview we did with him on our podcast. And I laughed. How could I not? At this point ‘pinball After Dark’ is nothing more than a joke to this forum. All that being said, this isn’t an indicator of Zen getting Stern, it’s that Oculus (who paid for the AC/DC license) didn’t want to renew it.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
And yet they didn’t mention the Rift versions on the license expiration release. Maybe that license is good for longer since oculus paid for it and it launched later?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
And yet they didn’t mention the Rift versions on the license expiration release. Maybe that license is good for longer since oculus paid for it and it launched later?

No mention of Rift in the Facebook announcement. If memory serves, AC/DC came out first for Oculus, then SPA, TPA, and finally Stern VR. But the license is expiring for all on the same date, June 30th.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
It is odd that the Rift isn't mentioned (or included in the sale). I'd love to think that meant that due to oculus covering the AC/DC license, the deal was different for their devices (or that was the only portion they were willing to extend), but more likely it meant that the Oculus VR releases were afterthoughts they did out of contractual obligation then promptly forgot about.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
You would think they intend to have a sale of every version that there is, so not mentioning the Rift specifically likely an oversight and go on sale next week? Unless of course they go the other way and give a free copy to anyone who bought the hardware and claims it by end of June.

I got free Lego Hobbit near end of last year (Lego Lord of the Rings was also free, but I'd already bought it years ago) when those licenses expired, although they gave them away free and about a week later announced the licenses had expired.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018

Its Jurassic Park, rather than Jurassic World. Apparently no clips in it from the films, and has animations instead.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.