Did somebody wax the playfield on Party Zone? Why is it so loud in here, slingshots!

Oct 15, 2013
Is it just me or does this table play faster than the others? The ball seems to really fly on this table moreso than the others in Vol 2 and 3. I don't have 1 and 4 so can't compare those. Also this table is very loud compared to the others. I saw the audio thread and agree about the audio leveling between the tables needing some attention. Theater of Magic is also very quiet for some reason. Finally I'm enjoying these Zen versions but are the slingshots really that crazy on real tables? Seems a bit much sometimes. My eyes!

Also out of Vol 2 and 3 I think Attack From Mars is the best. I think the Zen special effects are implemented really well here. That green martian in the main UFO was a really nice touch. It also seems beatable on Arcade physics which is a plus.

pinfan7

Banned
May 19, 2019
It's a beautifully fast table in reality (TPA is not reality, only the 3D models are) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQxvKd3GQ2Y and it was perfectly digitally recreated by Zen. All tables in Vol.1 & 2 are equally fast. (example: Fish Tales https://youtu.be/60a_nKnEdUA?t=90) They've toned down the ball speed on tournament setup from Vol.3 and on though, because of (imo unjustified as videos are showing) complaints about the speed like yours. Another fine example of how mass loud half-knowledge can make surreality the new reality (as TPA has proven).

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
They've toned down the ball speed on tournament setup from Vol.3 and on though, because of (imo unjustified as videos are showing) complaints about the speed like yours. Another fine example of how mass loud half-knowledge can make surreality the new reality (as TPA has proven).

Indeed, and then add on top of that people who's only prior experience was from playing TPA.

I had the opportunity to play all the Vol 1-3 machines at the Museum of Pinball a few months back, and really felt Zen nailed it. If anything it was the imperfections on the real machines that were the major differences. For instance, on Black Rose the cannon mech had a slight lip between the plastic and playfield in one spot, which caused the ball to do some unfortunate hops that made me appreciate the perfectly flat surfaces in Williams Pinball. There is also a wild difference when comparing a table with fresh rubber, strong coils on the slingshots and pop bumpers. The memory of how a machine played back in the 90's on a routed table is certainly going to be different from Zen replicating the 'new in box' experience.

There were also Zaccaria machines at the Museum, and I was quite surprised to find they played just as floaty in real life as their counterparts digitally. The ball trajectory off flippers still could use some work but the physics are quite accurate, something I never would have guessed when comparing to real life experience with Williams and Stern machines.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Ok, good to know it's like that on the real table. I still think it plays faster than the others though. :)

Depending on which other tables you are comparing it to, it does.

Classic Single Player Arcade and Tournament modes:
Vol 1 and Vol 2 tables use the same physics calibration
Vol 3 has been toned down in ball speed and there may be some additional friction interaction with the playfield and certain materials.
Vol 4 is the same as Vol 3 in regards to physics calibration along with the addition of the new flipper physics which introduced further reactive rubber and visual modeling of dead flipper slack and ramp up, etc.

AndyD

Apr 27, 2017
Main stand out one for me loudness wise is Red N Ted.

Must admit i'm loving these new Zen tables, even though its stuff we had previously the improvement is tremendous. They look better, sound much more accurate (even to me who has limited play on real machines), and play better. The more realistic ball physics is much harder but thats good in this case. Makes you realise how "easy" most of the tables were on TPA. Some went on for ages....

So in conclusion, Zen your awesome, keep going, and cant wait to see what the next release will contain.

Here's my 3 guesses, Bride of Pinbot, Earthshaker, F14 tomcat.

Totally random guesses but you never know.

Now tell me why it wont be any of those!? Haha......

Oct 15, 2013
I'm really enjoying the Party Zone. Highest score so far is 103 million on Zen physics. Not sure how high on Arcade but I'm currently first in the only Classic tournament for this table on PS4 at 5 million something. It doesn't seem that fast now, Vol 3 tables just seem slow. I've got a one day tournament going for this table with Zen physics. Currently at 92 million. Somebody posted a score of 123 million. My tournaments are open to all just search for gameaddict4life.

Messed around with the challenges for the first time too. Those are interesting. I blew a survival challenge tournament out of the water with a 500 million something score on Party Zone. Try to beat that!

Oh I also sort of figured out how to do a flipper pass. If you can keep feeding the ball to the right flipper during a multiball and can hit the Ozone ramp every time watch that score rack up................into the OZONE! You can also backhand it with the left flipper. None of this I can do consistently. If I could my scores would be much higher. I do pretty well until multiball then I can't hit anything. Too much pressure. But that's pinball.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.