Is TPA alone enough for you, or are you also buying into Zen’s Williams app?

Blkthorne

Jul 12, 2013
I own all the tables for TPA and usually when Zen announces what the next pack will be I will log into TPA and take those tables for a spin, but with the inactivity of Farsight and the great improvement of the tables by Zen, it is tough for me to find any motivation to play TPA on a regular basis.

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
They play completely differently. I used to think that Hurricane on TPA, for instance, was a really great, fast, smooth shooter. But playing it in Zen has made me it feel floaty.

I do still play a bit of TPA for some of my favorite SS tables, Eight Ball Deluxe, Fathom, F14 etc. - there's still nothing like them on Zen. I also use the instructions section of TPA for both the Zen tables and other games that I play in real life - honestly they are done so well, and so thoroughly, that they are worth the price of admission on their own.

djb5f1

Nov 15, 2016
On console they use the ‘family mode’ setting which alters certain DMD imagery like the dragon eating people in Medieval Madness. They also alter cab and play field art; depictions of alcohol, tobacco, blood/gore, and any sign of cleavage or bare skin near the thighs gets covered up.

This was all self censorship to retain the ESRB rating they had with FX3 already. Apparently they had a run-in with them on a previous game and it cost a lot of money in penalties to correct. They could resubmit for the same rating and just have a longer list of warnings, but that’s a whole process on console and requires getting recertifications from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Steam and mobile don’t care if your ESRB card is wrong, thus no censorship.

I’ll bring it up again next time I interview Mel, see if there’s been any progress. My gut tells me after Volume 6 is done, maybe then something happens. They’ll be able to show all the depictions and why the rating can remain. The only foreseeable title that would pose an issue is Elvira, but they could just toss that in at the same time as a placeholder. Mel said horror is particularly tricky with the rating, but they’ve navigated those waters with Doom and Aliens so we’ll see.

Good info, I did not realize. I will have to compare some of the tables knowing this.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
They play completely differently. I used to think that Hurricane on TPA, for instance, was a really great, fast, smooth shooter. But playing it in Zen has made me it feel floaty.

I do still play a bit of TPA for some of my favorite SS tables, Eight Ball Deluxe, Fathom, F14 etc. - there's still nothing like them on Zen. I also use the instructions section of TPA for both the Zen tables and other games that I play in real life - honestly they are done so well, and so thoroughly, that they are worth the price of admission on their own.

I'd be surprised to see any of the tables you've mentioned in PFX3. That's one reason I'll keep TPA as long as I can. The other being Zen screwing up tables that TPA got right. Sure, Road Show and White Water look so much better than TPA, but Zen has "Zaccaria'd" the ramps making them impossible to hit. Also, I'll stick to WH2O in TPA because Zen's mistreatment of the music gives me a splitting headache. I don't think Zen will fix that.

I do wish Farsight would add some more Gottliebs and Premiers, but I think TPA is over for good. But I'm still happy for the tables they did bring and I'm pleased that I snagged them all before the licenses expired. Since I'll be getting a new computer soon, I'll take the one I'm using offline so that way I'll always have access to TPA in it's final form, at least until this computer goes down once and for all.

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
I have all but the last PA table pack on steam as none of those tables took my fancy, on the PS4 i have both retail disc versions of PBA, but this is the first time i have bought Williams tables on the xbox since the 360, so i have been buying the Williams table on PBFX3 on both PC and XBX, and have really enjoyed them.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
I wasn't pleased about hearing Williams and Bally going to Zen, but they definitely have stepped up the table's physics. The tables look better, but the massive improvement is the game plan itself. So yup, effectively buying the blu-ray even though I bought the DVD.

OrdealByFire

Jun 8, 2018
I would think the answer’s no, but it’d increase my interest — are Zen Williams tables purchases cross platform? That being, buy on PS4, also play on mobile?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I would think the answer’s no, but it’d increase my interest — are Zen Williams tables purchases cross platform? That being, buy on PS4, also play on mobile?

No, there is no cross-buy. Mobile is its own deal anyways, as you can earn the tables for free. I’m thinking I might make a video comparing the two mobile versions just to show how vastly different they are. Also, you can play Fish Tales for free on all platforms. Play it in Classic Single Player with Arcade physics and then pop in the TPA version, and then don’t guess about there being any reason to repurchase. Add in the new flipper physics on Road Show, White Water, and Hurricane and it becomes a massive no brainer.

OrdealByFire

Jun 8, 2018
No, there is no cross-buy. Mobile is its own deal anyways, as you can earn the tables for free. I’m thinking I might make a video comparing the two mobile versions just to show how vastly different they are. Also, you can play Fish Tales for free on all platforms. Play it in Classic Single Player with Arcade physics and then pop in the TPA version, and then don’t guess about there being any reason to repurchase. Add in the new flipper physics on Road Show, White Water, and Hurricane and it becomes a massive no brainer.

I’ll probably at least stick to mobile for now. The game looks and feels great. Not a huge fan of it being more difficult to nudge, but the game itself feels easier to play. Pretty nice.

I chose Medieval Madness as my free first table on Williams Pinball, then played it in TPA. There really is a significant difference. TPA feels more like a cheap emulation with a very floaty ball. Zen’s ball feels like it has weight to it, and the flippers feel “snappier”.

Despite all of that, I really dig having so many tables in one spot in TPA. I may get the Zen tables as they go on sale on PS4. (One pack right now is 30% off on PSN for anyone interested.)

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I’ll probably at least stick to mobile for now. The game looks and feels great. Not a huge fan of it being more difficult to nudge, but the game itself feels easier to play. Pretty nice.

I chose Medieval Madness as my free first table on Williams Pinball, then played it in TPA. There really is a significant difference. TPA feels more like a cheap emulation with a very floaty ball. Zen’s ball feels like it has weight to it, and the flippers feel “snappier”.

Despite all of that, I really dig having so many tables in one spot in TPA. I may get the Zen tables as they go on sale on PS4. (One pack right now is 30% off on PSN for anyone interested.)

Since you are going the mobile route, you might want to give my thread here http://www.digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/13993-Williams-Pinball-App-Data-Collection a look as it will help in the frustration department over collecting and grinding. You'll also maybe wanna watch my YouTube vids on defeating each challenge for every table, which I've also got a thread going for here http://www.digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/14102-BlahCade-Pinball-Podcast-Daily-Challenge-Strategy-Videos

You're feeling the difference just with regular Zen physics too. The Pro physics (as known on mobile) incorporate better rubber reaction, ball spin, and flipper control. Unfortunately Zen has locked that away until you either pay for the upgrade or fully unlock a table, which as a newby to the app is going to take you a very long time. Still, I'm here doing everything I can to get people to appreciate the app for what it is and get the most out of it without ever having to spend a dime (or at least spending as little as possible).

And yeah, waiting on Zen to put stuff on sale is always a good call if you aren't in a rush to play.

meanpinball

Mar 16, 2020
I can't get fx3 working properly on an iPad Air, so the answer is no.

I wouldn't mind POSSIBLY buying a few tables that don't overlap with my TPA collection for my laptop. This is predicated on finding a controller with buttons with little to zero lag/latency. It's unplayable with keyboard controls of any kind.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I can't get fx3 working properly on an iPad Air, so the answer is no.

I wouldn't mind POSSIBLY buying a few tables that don't overlap with my TPA collection for my laptop. This is predicated on finding a controller with buttons with little to zero lag/latency. It's unplayable with keyboard controls of any kind.

How old is your iPad (and what iOS is it running?) And what kind of laptop are you using?

meanpinball

Mar 16, 2020
I'd be surprised to see any of the tables you've mentioned in PFX3. That's one reason I'll keep TPA as long as I can. The other being Zen screwing up tables that TPA got right. Sure, Road Show and White Water look so much better than TPA, but Zen has "Zaccaria'd" the ramps making them impossible to hit. Also, I'll stick to WH2O in TPA because Zen's mistreatment of the music gives me a splitting headache. I don't think Zen will fix that.

I do wish Farsight would add some more Gottliebs and Premiers, but I think TPA is over for good. But I'm still happy for the tables they did bring and I'm pleased that I snagged them all before the licenses expired. Since I'll be getting a new computer soon, I'll take the one I'm using offline so that way I'll always have access to TPA in it's final form, at least until this computer goes down once and for all.

FX3 has introduced new problems in it's own right which are just as troublesome as the problems on TPA. Based on my limited play so far, I have a hard time regarding FX3 as a "keeper."

I think the only solution is VP.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
zen white water ramps are much easier than in real life. trust me, i play white water all the time, my avatar is even me playing it lol. farsight just made it easier i guess. but i totally agree on a bunch of the made points, and espeshially agree that every single pinball video game has at least a handful of annoyances. i say just play whatever you have fun playing, i play them all.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The difference between how Zen does their ramps and FarSight did theirs is of note.

In essence FarSight's engine never had a way for the ball to travel up and down in 3D space. Jared explained it in our podcast at one time that it is nothing more than a layering of planes, where the ball gets 'transferred' from one to the other but technically is still on the same z axis. We always referred to it as 'vacuum' ramps because it was noticeable how the ball seemed to get pulled to complete its travel despite visibly not having enough momentum to do so. Later FarSight got better at hiding this behavior, putting in conditions that would have the ball roll 'back down' a ramp. This is also why their lighting only bloomed out horizontally and not vertically. A lot of ball movement used to also be on 'railroads', in that it had the exact same path of travel every single time when dropping from certain locations. I used to exploit this on Ripleys all the time, where there was a sequence of the ball coming out of the right eject that had 5 points of contact the ball bounced against and would land on your extended flipper precisely at the end each time without fail. I showed this to the guys one time while visiting the studio, and they couldn't believe it. Eventually they put in some randomization, but that sequence of bounces is still there, just not every time.

I can't say for sure if Zen has z axis movement either. I have seen the ball jump before, but it's rare so might be tied into other actions. What Zen does have is surface tension and ball friction as their ball legitimately spins (FarSight only simulated the look of it spinning). I suspect the issue with Road Show, that left ramp in particular, is the same thing that eventually got fixed on Medieval Madness' dragon ramp. There was too much friction with the plastic surface, so the ball spin over engaged with it, preventing it from traveling around when it made contact with the side walls of the ramp. The fix seems to be them lowering that surface tension, thus making the ball glide on past. I'll try and remember to bring this up again next time I'm lucky enough to chat with Deep.

What's always been funny to me is I have never played two different machines of the same title that played identical. When talking about machines that are 30 years old, that's really the case, even when they've been fully restored. Machines on location? How many times have we played one with weak flippers or broken toys that you simply have to adapt to. I watched a vid featuring some pinball savant who said he uses the first ball to find the obvious deficiencies of a machine and then just shoots for what works properly. He even dominated a machine with one bad flipper by making adjustments to his play. When people say Road Show is "unplayable" because you can't shoot the back ramp from anything but a trapped ball, they're being stubborn. I'm not saying it's ideal, but that shot isn't even of huge importance (and again it is makeable from a trapped ball).

And I still don't know what people are saying regarding WH2O's music. Anyone have an A/B comparison to post?

meanpinball

Mar 16, 2020
It's ironic that playing FX3 has made me more aware of the deficiencies of FX3 as well as of TPA.

For example, on the new TPA Star Trek, the side ramp shot for warp is so easy, it allows for a ton of shots that should roll back to be completed anyway. I was able to rack up very high scores just making this shot over and over again. It was weird watching the ball lose momentum then continue up the ramp anyway.

The actual table is so much more difficult they are literally two different tables. The ball on the real table travels much faster, and every shot is leagues more difficult. It almost feels like you're playing on a miniature table, especially compared to oversized tables as STTNG.

Both are fun, but farsigh is either not testing games thoroughly before release, or they don't have the resources to actually correct these types of problems? I will say sound quality seems to have been improved significantly this time around.

As far as RedTed, it's very difficult to hit the center grill? from the left flipper with the ball at rest. It defaults to the lane shot between red and ted. There are still significant problems with the physics on FX3.

Playing fishtales and redted on fx3, it seems it defaults to ball spin preventing completion of ramp shots more often than not. In other words, FX3 has overcompensated making these shots "too hard" whereas they are clearly too easy on TPA.

TPA is characterized by a "floaty" ball feel reminiscent of an air hockey game, whereas FX3 overemphasizes loss of momentum from ball spin and resistance traveling across and along wood grain. They've gone too far in the opposite direction it seems.

FX3 does a better job capturing the actual sound of flipper action though, and generally has better sound quality overall. Neither game IMO actually feels like playing an actual table. It's too bad that a new, different and in some ways, slightly better iteration of virtual pinball leaves me more discerning, and therefore less able to enjoy both apps!

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
You could always just play using Zen physics instead of Classic Arcade Physics, as then the play is easier while still retaining all the better visual and sound qualities!

FarSight did do beta tests, but the builds were never “finished” for us to give final notes on. We’d provide a laundry list of issues, many they already knew about, usually seeing a last build a few days before it’d be released. Often we wouldn’t even see the DX11 build, just DX9, but they didn’t even use the same code so bugs would show up in one and not the other. It was quite frustrating as then we testers would be accused by the community of not being thorough. Even worse, new tables often broke aspects of other tables for some reason, but their simply wasn’t enough time to go through each table every time a new beta came out.

Zen’s betas are much closer to finished releases, with us only having to give minimal suggestions. I try play testing all 3 physics modes, all the challenges, looking for little details that seem off. Problem is, my memory of the actual machines (I’ve played nearly all of TPA in real life) is often clouded by my digital pin experiences. That’s how things like the ramp on Road Show can slip by us. At some point of testing I go back and play the TPA versions, and every time come away thinking Zen has improved upon it every time, regardless of flaws.

meanpinball

Mar 16, 2020
I must admit, comparing R/T back to back on FX3 vs TPA, FX3 looks really nice. Unfortunately, TPA look so flat and cartoonish.

OTOH, TPA runs properly on my iPad Air meaning it's a lot more fun to play still compared to FX3's R/T on the iPad.

The audio for TPA sounds like it was recorded directly from the speaker of an actual table. It's pretty bad. Did FX3 obtain the original audio.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I must admit, comparing R/T back to back on FX3 vs TPA, FX3 looks really nice. Unfortunately, TPA look so flat and cartoonish.

OTOH, TPA runs properly on my iPad Air meaning it's a lot more fun to play still compared to FX3's R/T on the iPad.

The audio for TPA sounds like it was recorded directly from the speaker of an actual table. It's pretty bad. Did FX3 obtain the original audio.
TPA could've grabbed the music etc from the ROM but chose not to. They felt recording from the speakers was more "authentic".

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.