Your first job

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
I started in the mailroom at the newspaper in Jeff City Missouri during high school. After a few years in the Army I started a finish carpentry business.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
First job was furniture delivery in the summer during high school.

After college I worked in the accounting department of a couple of banks. For the last 23 years I have been a government auditor for a couple different bureaus.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I started as a apprentice electroplater and polisher for five years , delivery driver and then purchasing officer for a stationary company for 5 years then worked in water and sewage for the council for 3 years , fish and chip shop for 16 years , the last 15 years been a carer for Mum and Dad . :cool:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I started with a Saturday job at school in a local bakery which turned into a Summer job when at university. Did physics at Uni, and eventually settled on being a bookdealer about 15 years ago.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
My first job was in my car. My girlfriend wanted to try something on me and, well... it was a good night. And nope, I did not end up making a career out of it.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well played, Fungi.

First job was at the local water park known as Raging Waters in San Dimas (Bill and Ted's couldn't afford to license the name, so they used Waterloo instead) as a cashier at the main food kitchen.

I wanted to be an actor.

I have been a camera assistant in the motion picture industry for 20 years now.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I started as a apprentice electroplater and polisher for five years , delivery driver and then purchasing officer for a stationary company for 5 years then worked in water and sewage for the council for 3 years , fish and chip shop for 16 years , the last 15 years been a carer for Mum and Dad . :cool:

Ooh, fish and chip shop. I'd be 400 lbs.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
2362109-nes_paperboy.jpg

Paperboy. I quickly learned that people don’t really like having their newspapers chucked at their houses though, so it wasn’t quite as fun as I thought it would be.

Went to college for Audio Production and worked at a few radio stations over the years, doing Web Development on the side. Turns out writing PHP/MySQL code paid a lot better so that took up most of my time and energy before I retired early for health reasons. Thankfully my wife went back to school and even got her Masters, so she’s the breadwinner now, although she recently took a big pay cut to work at a homeless shelter, but she’s very happy so it’s worth it.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
My first job was working in a comic book and toy store during high school and college.

After college I was a retail computer and video games buyer for about 10 years. Now I build spreadsheets and databases for products used in aerospace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curtis

Aug 30, 2015
My first paying job was mowing yards; I was just a kid. I briefly worked in a fast food restaurant after high school. Upon graduating college, I started an Information Technology consulting business. It was quite successful over the 16-17 years of operation. Nowadays, I mainly flip (and/or rent out) houses, with smaller projects on the side (just to help out friends and family).

wolfson

May 24, 2013
2362109-nes_paperboy.jpg

Paperboy. I quickly learned that people don’t really like having their newspapers chucked at their houses though, so it wasn’t quite as fun as I thought it would be.

Went to college for Audio Production and worked at a few radio stations over the years, doing Web Development on the side. Turns out writing PHP/MySQL code paid a lot better so that took up most of my time and energy before I retired early for health reasons. Thankfully my wife went back to school and even got her Masters, so she’s the breadwinner now, although she recently took a big pay cut to work at a homeless shelter, but she’s very happy so it’s worth it.
Jeff , I use to tell my kids all the time , if your happy at your job , it didn`t matter what you did . my fave was in the council working in water and sewage , but MY ex wanted a change . I would`ve finished working there all my life . tell your Darl , fantastic in helping others , we have a word for her PHILOTIMO .:cool:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Jeff , I use to tell my kids all the time , if your happy at your job , it didn`t matter what you did . my fave was in the council working in water and sewage , but MY ex wanted a change . I would`ve finished working there all my life . tell your Darl , fantastic in helping others , we have a word for her PHILOTIMO .:cool:

Well said, Wolfy. She was miserable in comparison at her last job, and now she’s in a much better place contentment-wise, even though she’s making less money and working harder. Homelessness is a huge problem in our city, so it’s really cool that’s she’s also able to do something that directly impacts our local community. I’m really proud of her.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
well done , homeless people are everywhere , when eventually I do go back to Tweed Heads , we have a Food Bank there , that`s where I`ll be doing my volunteering . we have to put back into society . our government has a great scheme for people over 55 and out of work , if you do volunteer work , I`m not quite sure about the hours , but I think it`s either 15 a week or 15 hours a fortnight , you get payed the dole ( new start allowance ) about $540 a fortnight .:cool:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
oops , and that takes you through till you get the pension . my age group we get the pension at 67 . if you haven`t got Supa or enough Supa ( superannuation ) , you get the pension like me , it`s $926 a fortnight . and if your renting the government gives you rent assistance which is about $130 a fortnight on top of the pension . we are so lucky in Australia .:cool:

Striker

May 26, 2017
First job was the grill at McDonald’s. McDLTs were still on the menu and very popular. Currently a regulatory compliance attorney.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.