Does it make a difference what Android phone you run this on?

elcondor

Mar 3, 2015
I notice a lot of physics bugs that I've put down to running on a Moto G4, but the frame rate still seems OK. If I were to go to a Nokia 8.1 or something similar (mid range, higher clock rate), would these problems disappear? I'm just curious to know if there's something in Zen's code where the lower end devices are not getting the same physics etc.

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
Hardware performance does make a difference, I've got the game installed on a Moto G4 and Poco F1 and the latter has no issues (upkickers etc.)

Moto G4: Snapdragon 617 (1.5ghz) / Adreno 405
Poco F1: Snapdragon 845 (2.8ghz) / Adreno 630
Nokia 8.1: Snapdragon 710 (2.2ghz) / Adreno 616

It's unfortunate that Zen haven't found a solution for slower devices, although the frame rate on the G4 is noticeably lower I still find it playable. This problem does extend beyond mobile devices as my laptop often struggles with the VUK on Champion Pub.

elcondor

Mar 3, 2015
Thanks, it'd be nice to see if there is a good/bad list for play, as I think it's just a sub optimal codepath, but I've given up on them fixing anything like this (IIRC, sometimes different builds are pushed to different machines based on architecture, so different machines may see different bugs.

I know with PinballArcade, they were pushing out different builds that were supposedly optimised, but whether it made a difference I don't know.

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
Thanks, it'd be nice to see if there is a good/bad list for play, as I think it's just a sub optimal codepath, but I've given up on them fixing anything like this (IIRC, sometimes different builds are pushed to different machines based on architecture, so different machines may see different bugs.

I know with PinballArcade, they were pushing out different builds that were supposedly optimised, but whether it made a difference I don't know.

A "mobile hardware good/bad/ugly" performance list might be a good thing to set up as a pinned thread. I can vouch for Pixel XL 1 running perfectly and smoothly, and iPad Air 1st gen being playable but with a significantly lower framerate.

elcondor

Mar 3, 2015
It seems since I said this that the strength has been altered to be a bit more reliable. I won't know for sure until I see Black Rose come up in challenges, but Party Zone VUKs worked perfectly. Guess someone is listening after all...

No Pirate's Cove in Black Rose is still dodgy, so there is an issue that remains

Last edited:

elcondor

Mar 3, 2015
I'm bumping this back up, because I have more of a theory about this (it still affects the G4, by the way). Apparently people see this on steam in different configurations to do with resolutions. Presumably more powerful phones are running higher resolutions, but are less affected, so is the physics of such things and the strength therein tied to refresh rates? If so, maybe some sort of master list of devices might be useful to track the problem down.

elcondor

Mar 3, 2015
A double bump as the latest bug fix release ties the strength (for Android at least) to something other than frame rate, so the kickers are proper strength for everything I tried (Black Rose, WhiteWater and Party Zone).

I intend to upgrade to a bigger screen and better setup soon, but in the interim I'm using my old phone as a test bed for this, so if there is anything anyone wants looking at on a low end device, let me know.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
worked great on my previous samsung s7 edge and currently working just as good on my samsung s8. runs slow at random times on my samsung galaxy tab s3. if i close every app and only run williams alone the slow downs are less but still exist from time to time.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.