Mustang Premium

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
I usually play Cruisin' or Road Race as the first mode, I find my final score ends up being quite a bit higher than starting on the bottom row of modes. Good to save drag race for later when you need the fairly easy multiball.

Also, I recommend canceling out of Gears multiball until you get it up to at least 4 balls, the jackpots are significantly better (unless you are in danger and really trying to finish a mode and need the multiball earlier)

I learned a lot from watching "Pinball with the Pros" on Youtube a couple of times, the episode with Steve Bowden. He goes pretty quickly to advanced strategies and gives a lot of good tips, it's an entertaining video.

There are Pinball with the Pros episodes for Star Trek and AC/DC as well, all of them are excellent.

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
So after playing this for a couple weeks, here's my strategy.

First, the skill shot is broken for the most part. You are supposed to be able to hold the left flipper and a full plunge will take the ball all the way around so you can catch it on the left flipper, ala MM's skill shot (along with others). But the plunger doesn't always plunge at full strength and the ball winds up in the upper lanes. Why this needs to be fixed, is because hitting the skill shot early is important. If you can catch the ball and hit the "A" in the GEARS drop targets as the light cycles on it, you are awarded two gears and a "powershift". But the gears are the important part. Those two gears are pretty valuable. SO FIX IT FARSIGHT! (please).

Regardless of whether I get the skill shot or not, I always use the ball saver time to hit as many GEARS targets as I can. And if during the normal course of play I find a single GEARS target remaining, I always make it a priority to complete that. Why all this about the gears? Because GEARS multiball is the best way I've found so far to score big points. And you want to start it at least in 5th gear (I've yet to get a 6th gear...yet). I always cancel the multiball unless I've got it at 5th gear, unless it's my last ball and I don't feel confident in knocking down more GEARS targets. But the super jackpot increases greatly when you get to 5th and a ton more in 6th gear.

Besides that, I always start one of the two lower game modes first...Rally Race or Stunt Driver. The are the easiest to complete and you get the extra ball shot after completing the first mode, so you get that quickly as well. Speaking of extra balls, the only other way I've found to get more is the Toolbox. So make sure you complete the flipper roll-over lanes which enable the Toolbox at the mustang scoop. They can be stacked, so you don't have to shoot the scoop each time you complete it.

Also, after completing a mode, make sure you then complete the two pop up "Caution" targets as well as the Mystery Ford shot. The two pop ups are worth decent points, but more important they give you a "powershift" each, which is important as you progress thru the modes.

After the first easy mode, I then do the other easy one. Again, because it's easy, but also because you want to again get those powershifts at the end. The powershifts allow you to skip shots in a mode, and I always save them for "Cruisin". After that I do the two other top ones that aren't "Cruisin", because they aren't as tough and again you can amass powershifts.

I try to save them for Crusin' because at the end of the mode you have to hit these shots that cycle from one to the other. And you have to do it a couple times (or more?) and they get faster. So it really makes it easy to be able to use the powershifts to complete the harder shots.

And that's really all I have. GEARS Multiball is the only high scoring of the multiballs (that I've found) and only then at 5th/6th gear. So IMO that's the most important. If you can stack that with the N2O Nitrous 2x bonus then you can really cash in.

Last edited:

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
You can hold left flipper and short plunge instead of full plunge and avoid upper lanes and get a shot at "A" target to get those two gears.

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
You can hold left flipper and short plunge instead of full plunge and avoid upper lanes and get a shot at "A" target to get those two gears.

True, but it's still broken. Not too mention that if you don't hit the short plunge and the ball falls back, it auto plunges (which I've never seen a machine do, is that supposed to happen?).

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
True, but it's still broken. Not too mention that if you don't hit the short plunge and the ball falls back, it auto plunges (which I've never seen a machine do, is that supposed to happen?).

Yeah I know it's broken, that's why it's much better to soft plunge. Even if they fix the plunge I would still recommend soft plunging, it is very easy and reliable and you feed the ball perfectly to the right flipper to an easy trap. If you soft plunge too soft, you can still beat the auto plunge by plunging ball before the auto plunge does it.

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
I prefer it coming around to the left flipper. Hitting the skill shot is much easier with the left.

Zincdust

Jun 4, 2012
Hi folks;
So I've noticed that the clock on the Ghostbusters table is set automatically based on your PS4's internal clock. However on the Mustang table, the clock screen reads "CLOCK NOT SET". Small potatoes, really, but is there a fix for this that I'm missing or overlooking?
Thanks a bunch in advance!

HighFive

Jun 9, 2019
Been playing a lot of Mustang lately, and one thing i think i never saw happening is having the ball use the cross over ramp in the middle. Is there a way to see the ball go there?

HighFive

Jun 9, 2019
Ok! It indeed worked. Perhaps never realize it , and was often not doing road course to begin win, but its working, i saw the ball using the cross ramp!

Members online

Members online