Any chances of getting the Williams tables in VR?

OrdealByFire

Jun 8, 2018
I saw FX VR and it looks pretty slick. But, I don’t want to bother getting it if it’s only Zen’s own tables. Any hints if “real” tables will ever be available in VR?

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Never say never but Zen has pretty much said it’s not as viable as other markets right now. Hopefully new tech like the newly released standalone Oculus headsets will expand the user base to make it more appealing.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
It seems pretty low down the priority list. They would need an FX3 VR platform as is, the current VR platform is based on FX2. Zaccaria and Stern Pinball Arcade currently have "real" tables on VR to try out if you want to give it a go, you can play their usual free table without purchase, it is pretty slick indeed.

I grabbed the available FX2 VR tables on a prior sale, and it is very well done, but the table selection is what kills it right now.

joeblow

Feb 26, 2013
Who knows? Maybe they will give it a try once the Playstation 5's PSVR2 comes out. That will give it a wider audience along with the current PC offerings. It doesn't make much sense to release a new sub-line of table support on the PS4 since it is at the end of a generation.

For the record, nothing would make me happier from Zen than if they announced full VR support for "real" tables going forward. I'd pay an extra premium for the option.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Somebody asked on the Zen forums and they said it "makes sense" to expand their VR offerings but that they have nothing to announce.

I bought a Quest and love it. I'd probably repurchase every table on there.

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
It seems pretty low down the priority list. They would need an FX3 VR platform as is, the current VR platform is based on FX2. Zaccaria and Stern Pinball Arcade currently have "real" tables on VR to try out if you want to give it a go, you can play their usual free table without purchase, it is pretty slick indeed.

I grabbed the available FX2 VR tables on a prior sale, and it is very well done, but the table selection is what kills it right now.

Stern VR pinball tables on the Oculus CV1 store are just phenomenal, bar none, anyone with a VR headset and who loves PB should most certainly grab these in case Farsight and pinball part ways and this app and VR tables are gone for good, we might never see them back again or it might take years for someone to take up the mantle and produce reallife VR tables again.

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
Stern VR pinball tables on the Oculus CV1 store are just phenomenal, bar none, anyone with a VR headset and who loves PB should most certainly grab these in case Farsight and pinball part ways and this app and VR tables are gone for good, we might never see them back again or it might take years for someone to take up the mantle and produce reallife VR tables again.

Agreed, I find Stern VR incredibly satisfying to play, perhaps an underappreciated experience. Whilst the physics can't touch FX3 Classic I do think they play far better than the standard TPA versions which are capped to 67fps.

I'm not really sure where Zen plans to take their VR offering, the current FX2 branding causes confusion yet the engine clearly shares far more similarities with FX3. I don't think separate applications or table collections have mass appeal so my preferred option would be a simplified VR DLC module (£15-£20) but sacrificing those ambitious environmental effects. Although I would pay for VR upgrades on a per-table basis I suspect it'd be problematic to organise and market clearly to consumers.

I reckon FX3 already has a VR compatibility mode for the Williams tables... on a strictly internal basis!

Last edited:

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
Ive been wanting this so bad for years. when the stern vr came out and i was playing it with samsung gear my first thought was "this is so cool! but why is medieval madness and all the awesome williams/bally tables not on here???". I currently own all the zen tables released in VR, but i dont really love any of them all that much and never play it due to that. I think Zen is putting too much effort on how VR pinball should be. They feel it's essential to build all this virtual room stuff going off around the table, which makes them have to come up with new content and adds a ton of extra work. Sure it's cool to see jaws swim around you and all that but we dont really need it, just give us the tables with a plain room and save the hassle. they just need to put a head tracking camera in fx3 and that is it every table instantly ported. I have a theory that we will see vr when we have to buy everything all over again in fx4 for the next gen. My theory is based on that they have not given us 4k on ps4 pro or xbox one x. They could definitely up the resolution on those systems with ease and minimal effort but they are purposely holding back so when the new consoles come out next year they have 4k and hopefully vr as a selling point.

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
Agreed, I find Stern VR incredibly satisfying to play, perhaps an underappreciated experience. Whilst the physics can't touch FX3 Classic I do think they play far better than the standard TPA versions which are capped to 67fps.

I'm not really sure where Zen plans to take their VR offering, the current FX2 branding causes confusion yet the engine clearly shares far more similarities with FX3. I don't think separate applications or table collections have mass appeal so my preferred option would be a simplified VR DLC module (£15-£20) but sacrificing those ambitious environmental effects. Although I would pay for VR upgrades on a per-table basis I suspect it'd be problematic to organise and market clearly to consumers.

I reckon FX3 already has a VR compatibility mode for the Williams tables... on a strictly internal basis!

I reckon FX3 already has a VR compatibility mode for the Williams tables... on a strictly internal basis![/QUOTE]

I just grabbed the rest of the tables for £20, could not wait any longer, now i just have to sit and look at the two LE tables that can never be bought. lol

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.