From mobile to Xbox One

1adam12

Nov 28, 2017
After buying tons of Farsight tables on mobile over the years, I tried the Zen app and walked away completely unimpressed on iPad and android.

Now I have an Xbox One S. I've downloaded both apps. I'll always love TPA, and love the way it plays and looks on here. The flippers are quick and responsive, and the fine details are nice, like the reflected light from the playfield to the glass in Flight 2000.

Then I tried Fish Tales on Zen. I've tried a couple of times, and every time I load the app it seems like it has to download more. The effects are cute. The detail is drop dead gorgeous. The play is ok. The flipper delay is a deal breaker. I'm going to try again to see if it was a fluke.

In the end, I just don't get why everyone peed their pants at the Zen tables. If the flipper lag stays around, I'll wonder even more. Is there something I'm missing?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Are the settings on your TV the same when you tried both of them (game mode, unscaled, etc.)? Shouldn't be flipper lag with either of them.

1adam12

Nov 28, 2017
Yes. I simply went from one app to the other. On TPA, the flipper response is almost instant. There is also a lot more haptic feedback. On Zen, there was a small but noticeable lag. Not much, but more than in real life.

HighFive

Jun 9, 2019
Perhaps a settings on tv, game mode, hdr maybe? . Try a different resolution for fun. Im on PS4, and both game doesnt give me lag when in game mode.

1adam12

Nov 28, 2017
^^Yeap, Tv is to blame here for sure, what Tv do you have and what res is it set at?
It's a brand new Vizio 50". Why would one app have a lag and the other not on the same tv? I maxed out the graphics settings. The only other adjustment would be the color settings. Everything else on the Zen table seems fine.

The worst part is that I would buy a table pack from TPA, but this slow death I seem to be observing doesn't inspire me to.

As a note, I'm also making sure to use LB and RB for faster response vs using the trigger buttons.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
If game mode is turned on, try connecting to a different port - apparently on some Vizio P-series port 5 behaves differently.

As to why one game would have lag and another not I don't know, hopefully someone else will have that answer.

1adam12

Nov 28, 2017
I do appreciate the attempts to troubleshoot, which is why I started following the forums again.

That being said, could it simply be a software issue with Zen? It's the first time I've played a console in ages. On my computer or phone these sorts of issues always tracked back to the app itself. For those helping troubleshoot, are you also Xbox one players? Maybe it's a flaw limited to this platform.

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
I have a XBX and every pinball game you can buy on it, zen FX2, FX3, Pinball arcade, Stern Pinball, and they work perfectly, and i am playing on a 4k 55in HDR TV, but only when i pick game mode, and some games are more susceptible to input lag than others, but as stated above only some HDMI ports on some TV offer this, like mine only one ports offers full 4.2.2 4k 60hz HDR support, and that is the same port that offers game mode.........plus also cheap or faulty HDMI cables can cause issues at any screen res from 1080p to 4k, so there are still tons of stuff that could be causing that issues, but if it was just the app then why would it not be a univeral issue for everyone....but if you say this is a new TV then it must have a game mode, maybe it is not called game mode on the Vizio brand, might be labeled something else, plus check all panel processing on your TV is off, on the zen app turn off ball trails and any other processing stuff, are you using a offical controller or athird party............tons of stuff to check across both to find what is causing you flipper input lag these days, unfortunalty the good old days of a simple 32in CRT no issues ever gaming era are long gone. :(

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
I have an Xbox One S and an old 1080p 32" LG TV and have no flipper lag in Pinball FX3. By the bye, I find the triggers to be more sensitive and to allow for finer control than the shoulder buttons.

Mar 9, 2012
It's a brand new Vizio 50". Why would one app have a lag and the other not on the same tv? I maxed out the graphics settings. The only other adjustment would be the color settings. Everything else on the Zen table seems fine.

The worst part is that I would buy a table pack from TPA, but this slow death I seem to be observing doesn't inspire me to.

As a note, I'm also making sure to use LB and RB for faster response vs using the trigger buttons.

What is the exact model of the TV?

HighFive

Jun 9, 2019
Funny how tv are made sometime, it make me remembered with my old LG tv, the problem you got there, it was reverse. I was having some sort of lag with TPA, but Zen was playing better. Switching to my new tv correct the issue, by setting it to game mode.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I really hate the way TVs come out of the box, because they are set to a default meant to look good in a show room next to other TVs, not how they should look in your home. Turn off all the post processing junk on your TV. That means stuff like TruMotion or 120Hz mode, turn off auto anything.

I agree with the above posts, check different HDMI ports. If you are running your Xbox through a receiver first, that too could cause lag.

As for why people peed their pants over the Williams tables in Zen...

1. The look. The colors are vivid and not washed out, everything is proportioned correctly.

2. The lighting. Rather than light only being on a single flat plane, it is omni directional. This is super apparent on a table like Champion Pub where the boxer is properly lit from the insert light below, light going all the way to his face.

3. The sound. The mechanical table sounds are loud and in stereo. The game sounds from the ROM are crisp and dynamic. Safe Cracker is the one this stands out the most on.

4. The physics. This is the biggie, and completely obvious if you play 'Classic Single Player'. Your choice as to whether you play Arcade or Tournament, as either uses the new Williams physics. The ball has true spin (there is no ball spin in TPA), the rubber has the right bounce and does not send the ball down the same predictable path every time. Flipper tricks can be pulled off, especially with the new flipper physics found in Road Show, White Water, and Hurricane (they'll make their way to the other tables eventually). The ball has weight and doesn't just skate across the surface of the table, there are no vacuum ramps to be found, no railroad patterns of movement. You'll also find the flippers are set to a more shallow angle, where regular Single Player has the same angles found in TPA.

5. The enhancements. First off, you can turn these on and off with the touch of your controller button. On Xbox it's the X button. For tables like Safe Cracker, the enhanced visuals are the only way I play now, while on Hurricane I turned them off for good. They in no way change how the game plays and are purely there bring them inline with what regular Zen tables look like.

6. The tournaments. In FX3 you can set up your own custom tournaments with your own play conditions. This means you can set up a game of Medieval Madness to be 1 ball, 1 attempt, with user choice of score boosts, or do a regular 3 ball game with tournament ROM settings, or a myriad of other choices. Pinball is so much more fun when you are playing against others, and not just via leaderboards of anonymity.

If after all this you still don't get the big deal and find yourself perfectly content with TPA, well ignorance is bliss! You can happily wait until a table that wasn't in TPA before pops up.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Why would one app have a lag and the other not on the same tv?

Simple! TPA is an older program, which doesn't take full advantage of the Xbox One's features. Pinball FX 3 on the other was designed with the Xbox One in mind and taps out more of the Xbox One's power.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
1adam12 , on my XBOX1X and my PS4 PRO , I always play with my controllers connected to my consoles . give that a go .:cool:

1adam12

Nov 28, 2017
What is the exact model of the TV?
You would ask for specifics! I don't even know.

On the other hand, I also gave up trying to play FX3. When I chose it again yesterday, it just took me to a loading screen again. Every launch seems to make me wait several minutes while it does this. It's a reminder of why I always choose the TPA app there.

I've seen people refer to game modes and such. I don't remember seeing an option like this but I'll check. While I still find it hard to believe that it can have anything to do with the tv, enough people have mentioned it I'm willing to factor that in. I'll check some settings next time I'm playing.

1adam12

Nov 28, 2017
I really hate the way TVs come out of the box, because they are set to a default meant to look good in a show room next to other TVs, not how they should look in your home. Turn off all the post processing junk on your TV. That means stuff like TruMotion or 120Hz mode, turn off auto anything.

I agree with the above posts, check different HDMI ports. If you are running your Xbox through a receiver first, that too could cause lag.

As for why people peed their pants over the Williams tables in Zen...

1. The look. The colors are vivid and not washed out, everything is proportioned correctly.

2. The lighting. Rather than light only being on a single flat plane, it is omni directional. This is super apparent on a table like Champion Pub where the boxer is properly lit from the insert light below, light going all the way to his face.

3. The sound. The mechanical table sounds are loud and in stereo. The game sounds from the ROM are crisp and dynamic. Safe Cracker is the one this stands out the most on.

4. The physics. This is the biggie, and completely obvious if you play 'Classic Single Player'. Your choice as to whether you play Arcade or Tournament, as either uses the new Williams physics. The ball has true spin (there is no ball spin in TPA), the rubber has the right bounce and does not send the ball down the same predictable path every time. Flipper tricks can be pulled off, especially with the new flipper physics found in Road Show, White Water, and Hurricane (they'll make their way to the other tables eventually). The ball has weight and doesn't just skate across the surface of the table, there are no vacuum ramps to be found, no railroad patterns of movement. You'll also find the flippers are set to a more shallow angle, where regular Single Player has the same angles found in TPA.

5. The enhancements. First off, you can turn these on and off with the touch of your controller button. On Xbox it's the X button. For tables like Safe Cracker, the enhanced visuals are the only way I play now, while on Hurricane I turned them off for good. They in no way change how the game plays and are purely there bring them inline with what regular Zen tables look like.

6. The tournaments. In FX3 you can set up your own custom tournaments with your own play conditions. This means you can set up a game of Medieval Madness to be 1 ball, 1 attempt, with user choice of score boosts, or do a regular 3 ball game with tournament ROM settings, or a myriad of other choices. Pinball is so much more fun when you are playing against others, and not just via leaderboards of anonymity.

If after all this you still don't get the big deal and find yourself perfectly content with TPA, well ignorance is bliss! You can happily wait until a table that wasn't in TPA before pops up.
"Ignorance is bliss".

With all due respect, you lost any credibility you had with the rest of your post when you threw in the snark. It's a shame, because while you made some good points, you completely undercut it all with that completely unnecessary jab. I hope that's not how you have actual conversations with people IRL.

Mar 9, 2012
You would ask for specifics! I don't even know.

On the other hand, I also gave up trying to play FX3. When I chose it again yesterday, it just took me to a loading screen again. Every launch seems to make me wait several minutes while it does this. It's a reminder of why I always choose the TPA app there.

I've seen people refer to game modes and such. I don't remember seeing an option like this but I'll check. While I still find it hard to believe that it can have anything to do with the tv, enough people have mentioned it I'm willing to factor that in. I'll check some settings next time I'm playing.

Take a look at the back of the TV.. you should be able to find out what the model is.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
"Ignorance is bliss".

With all due respect, you lost any credibility you had with the rest of your post when you threw in the snark. It's a shame, because while you made some good points, you completely undercut it all with that completely unnecessary jab. I hope that's not how you have actual conversations with people IRL.

My credibility shouldn't change just because of a perceived level of snark, as the statements are all factual regardless. Feel free to say you lost any respect for me though. Saying "ignorance is bliss" to me is much like the conversation Cypher has with Agent Smith in the first Matrix movie, where he essentially wants to be given the Blue Pill, to be reinserted to the Matrix...

CYPHER: (Looking at steak on fork) You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years you know what I realize? (Eats a bite of steak) Ignorance is bliss.

And for the record, my actual conversations carry the nuances of snark and sarcasm that don't quite translate to the written word. It's on full display each week in the BlahCade Pinball Podcast.

1adam12

Nov 28, 2017
Take a look at the back of the TV.. you should be able to find out what the model is.
So I found the model and looked through the various settings. I found one that seemed like it would apply, and it was active.

Game Low Latency. It's set for on, and according to the description, it's supposed to reduce lag when playing games.

That being said, I felt like there was a slight improvement. The TPA flippers just feel like they have a slightly better response time. Not by much, but I see it.

Thanks for all the help and tips. At least I know more than I did coming in here!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.