Which FX3 tables would you pick to be free?

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Fish Tales and Sorcerer's Lair are the 2 free tables for newbies, and no reason to expect those will ever change. If you were picking 1 Zen original table, and 1 WMS table as the free tables from all those currently released which ones would you pick as an introduction (not the same as which you think are the best tables overall) for new players?

For me, think I'd pick Adventure Land as its a really fun table with lots of shots - a new player with no idea what to aim for is bound to hit something interesting.

For the WMS tables I think Fish Tales is a good choice, although think The Getaway High Speed II would have also worked; relatively simple to learn what to do (not quite so simple to actually do it!). After all, what Zen want is for as many people as possible to go and buy Medieval Madness or Attack from Mars after playing the free one, so best not to give those away.

twopossums

Apr 14, 2019
Adventure Land is a good pick. I’d probably stick with Fishtails though. To me it’s a perfect game to get someone into pinball. Not to hard not to easy. There’s a rule set that isn’t to hard to grasp. The ramps are super satisfying when you hit them and it has great sound design. Are there better tables? Sure but for showing off what pinball is and not turning anyone away I think it’s a great choice.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
I’m going to go counter here and say MM or AfM as the free table. For the record, I’m someone who doesn’t really like Fish Tales and I keep trying to like it because of others comments but it still hasn’t clicked for me. I don’t play enough Zen tables to care which one is free as I think they get players on board with the licenses so the free table just needs to convince you enough that you’d like the same
mechanics on a table with a license you like.

I think AfM and MM are easy to learn, tough to master tables like TOTAN was on TPA and that mechanic is key for a entry table.

Fish tales’ challenge for new players is that center loop ramp. It’s so close and so easy for shots to either go in those Ramps or bang off some part of it that it closes off the rest of the table for a new player and it gets boring fast.

Add to it the L I E light up lanes aren’t visible without using the backglass and you miss out on a basic pinball skill shot set up that so many other tables use.

I also think an easy multiball is a great mechanic for new players too and if you can play one game and get multiball almost every time that gives a feeling of accomplishment and helps. It’s why I loved TAF so much when I was playing in the arcades. Fish tales multiball isn’t hard per se, but those other two are certainly easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm not a fan of Sorcerers Lair being the free table at all, as I don't find it an inviting table in the least. It's funny because my gut reaction was to also pick Adventureland for a Zen original. It's a bit chaotic but does show nearly every trick Zen can pull off with a digital table and the theme is very inviting.

For Williams, I would go Medieval Madness over Fish Tales. It too is very inviting, the objectives are easy to understand, but it is not an easy table in the least. I've actually grown to like Fish Tales quite a lot thanks to Zen, but I certainly gave it a shrug as being the choice for a free table as the theme does nothing for me.

sh4wnsm1th

Oct 11, 2018
Agreed with everyone else FX3 Zen Originals, Adventure land.

For Williams, though, I'd go with Black Rose. It's more of an easier table in my opinion, and reminds me more of a Zen original. It's also more inviting. Fish Tales is good, the FX3 version made me love it, but it's a very difficult table, and one that I think, advanced pinball players will have a better appreciation for.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.