Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Williams Pinball Universal Monsters™ Pack on October 29!

My Devices
    PS4 PS3 Vita iPad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel a bit out of touch asking but am I right in thinking there are new physics in the 2 tables released Tuesday? Or is it that they will have the same physics as the last pack?
    Thanks

My Devices
    PS3 (TPA) PS4 (TPA, SPA, ZP2, FX3)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard from somewhere that the flipper physics were tweaked for this new release. So after this release there will be three different physics versions: the "basic" physics for Volumes 1-3 then the first version of the flipper physics for Volume 4 and finally Version 2.0 of the flipper physics for this Universal release.
    It's all good.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At some point it would be nice if the same physics were applied to all the tables but then we run into the leaderboard death threat issue and of course the cost to Zen for diminishing returns. Let's be honest, the majority of their sales are going to come upon release. Sure there will be some more with a sale but does it really pay off for Zen to apply the new physics to all the tables and even put in missing stuff (like songs) after the sale? Probably not. I guess we just have to take what we can get and be happy. That is until the 4K re-remasters come out!
    It's all good.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, I'm really enjoying Zen's remake of Theater of Magic. I don't think I played Farsight's version that much but Zen's version is really drawing me in. I just keep going back to that table on Arcade physics. I think the only Zen table that I've beaten the wizard mode on is Party Zone. I've only beaten a couple of Farsight's tables too. Pinball is hard.
    It's all good.

My Devices
    PS4, PS4 Pro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gameaddict4life View Post
    Why doesn't Zen just recreate a mature table and resubmit for an M rating with the ESRB? This is where combining these recreations with the original stuff becomes a problem. Disney and the like don't want to be associated with that so it won't happen. That's why we need a separate game.
    Disney shouldn't be an issue, or they wouldn't have been able to allow switching off the family mode on Steam either.
    For me... I'm actually done with the censorship and the fact is not doing anything to solve this issue. I've decided that Williams Pack 4 was the last set of ZEN tables I have bought (And I bought all available tables on WiiU and on PS4). Unless ZEN gets their ass moving and find a solution for this issue.
    https://www.arnauddeklerk.com <- Find out more about me!
    https://www.file-hunter.com <- Play Amiga & MSX Pinball games online

My Devices
    Xbox One
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gameaddict4life View Post
    BTW, I'm really enjoying Zen's remake of Theater of Magic. I don't think I played Farsight's version that much but Zen's version is really drawing me in. I just keep going back to that table on Arcade physics. I think the only Zen table that I've beaten the wizard mode on is Party Zone. I've only beaten a couple of Farsight's tables too. Pinball is hard.
    I love ToM. It actually has a more approachable wizard mode compared to something like Medieval Madness in that you only have to start the illusions and not complete them to progress. You have to get Midnight Madness, spell Theatre, and start the multi-ball as well, but you can do two of those, increase your multiplier for big scores, get extra balls (3x Vanish, Advance Clock to 6pm) just by focussing on the left orbit. Advancing the clock towards Midnight Madness is faster, but more risky, if you shoot the right orbit, but the ball often counts toward advancing the clock if you shoot the left orbit.
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan
    Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan
    Twitter - PinStratsDan
    Facebook - PinStratsDan

My Devices
    Steam, PS4, iPad
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TFHFony View Post
    Disney shouldn't be an issue, or they wouldn't have been able to allow switching off the family mode on Steam either.
    Why? The issue is that, supposedly, Disney (or other licencors) don't want their properties on a platform with an ESRB rating higher that E10+. Suggestive themes, alchohol and tobacco use, gambling and "crude humor" all require a T rating. Of the platforms you mentioned, Steam is the only one that doesn't require an ESRB rating (and indeed FX3 doesn't have one on the Steam store).

Regardless of how well Williams may or may not be doing for them, take a look at a list of Zen's tables, and see how much of their output would vanish if Disney pulled the licence. The issue is more with the ESRB itself, and I can completely understand how Zen feels trapped by the situation. Disney may not be dictating what Zen needs to do to their Williams tables, but they are playing it safe because they don't want to find out after the fact something is a problem.

Edit: I don't bother with Williams on mobile due to the inability to just purchase tables, but just looked it up and it is interesting that they have a separate app there for Williams that at least on ios is rated 17+. I assume the reason they haven't spun off a separate app on consoles is costs or other issues that come with multiple submissions. If this does get solved for consoles, I think that's the only way it's going to happen.
    Last edited by zmcvay; 10-28-2019 at 06:45 AM.

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyway73 View Post
    I feel a bit out of touch asking but am I right in thinking there are new physics in the 2 tables released Tuesday? Or is it that they will have the same physics as the last pack?
    Thanks
    The physics in Williams pack 4 are the new physics, and the same physics will be in the Universal Monsters pack. What isn't happening yet is that Williams packs 1-3 aren't getting the new physics yet (although should do sometime).

My Devices
    Xbox One
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbers View Post
    The physics in Williams pack 4 are the new physics, and the same physics will be in the Universal Monsters pack. What isn't happening yet is that Williams packs 1-3 aren't getting the new physics yet (although should do sometime).
    That is true, but Deep has also refined the physics more on Volume 5 along with attempt to give the ball more of a weighted feel. They took Spacies Arcade's Marble physics demonstration and critique to heart (even mentioned it during their table showcase stream last Thursday).

It looks great if you look at Pinballwiz45b's Twitch stream playing the tables (also last thursday) and I can't wait to play it!
    Last edited by Cloda; 10-28-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan
    Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan
    Twitter - PinStratsDan
    Facebook - PinStratsDan

My Devices
    PS4 PS3 Vita iPad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloda View Post
    That is true, but Deep has also refined the physics more on Volume 5 along with attempt to give the ball more of a weighted feel. They took Spacies Arcade's Marble physics demonstration and critique to heart (even mentioned it during their table showcase stream last Thursday).

It looks great if you look at Pinballwiz45b's Twitch stream playing the tables (also last thursday) and I can't wait to play it!
    Thanks Cloda, I'm looking forward to trying them today!

My Devices
    ps4 pro,xbox1x,pc
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    loving them , Zen just keep the high standard , well done . only table I would love sometime next year which is an Olympic year , is TAXI PLEASE

My Devices
    PS4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really hoping Zen goes back to releasing their own original tables. Those remain my favorites. Hopefully a tie-in with the new Star Wars movie.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the classic Williams tables too but I already own them on TPA. I do prefer Zen’s physics (ball is too floaty on TPA) and the ability to do the challenges and unlock mastery pictures.

I agree Taxi would be a good choice if they continue down this path of re-releasing TPA tables.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have forgotten what a pixelmess this game is with maxed out graphics option on 1080x1920. Especially the flippers seem not to care about antialiasing. Is there a way to downsample from 4k?

On the pack itself: Physics mean nothing, I still don't like Cftbl. Monster Bash is still one of my favourites.
    Brick to drain, brick to drain, brick to drain.......

My Devices
    iPad Air 2, PS4, PC
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Public Service Announcement:
    Due to an unfortunate technical error, PS4 US will release November 5. We are very sorry about this, usually we work very hard to release all platforms on the same day.

My Devices
    Steam, iOS, Oculus Rift
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunate choice of wording there. “Usually we work hard.” But this week we just said screw it. PS4 can wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djb5f1 View Post
    Really hoping Zen goes back to releasing their own original tables. Those remain my favorites. Hopefully a tie-in with the new Star Wars movie.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the classic Williams tables too but I already own them on TPA. I do prefer Zen’s physics (ball is too floaty on TPA) and the ability to do the challenges and unlock mastery pictures.

I agree Taxi would be a good choice if they continue down this path of re-releasing TPA tables.
    I hope they will release the top machines from the 1980’s. I love them DMD tables, but there’s a lot from the 80’s that are solid classics!

My Devices
    PC, Mac, iOS mobile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    REALLY impressed how good the lighting for both tables looks on mobile. It looks amazing.

Beyond that, the UI for the whole game seems snappier. I did get one crash while in it, but so far I cannot complain. It just seems more responsive and not sluggish. The notes also said they had fixed some tables, and I noticed it downloaded all of them again, but the issue I have on White Water where it gets stuck between the humps on the ramp and then drains between flippers unfortunately remains. Theatre of Magic seemed different though. And not just the fixed plunger either. I felt like I was hearing things in the game I had not heard before.

Still want the issue with White Water fixed, but other than that this looks like a really solid release. Nice to have a challenging version of Monster Bash. TPA was too easy.

My Devices
    Virtual Pin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monsters Bash seems really taxing on my system. I'm usually able to get around 100fps on tables, but monsters stays in the 60's.

So either the table isn't optimized well compared to others, or the additional animated characters on the table take a toll on overall performance.

My Devices
    PS4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrolson View Post
    Public Service Announcement:
    Aha, that explains it. Wondering why it was not up yet in-game or on the PlayStation store.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a way to "double" the resolution, now it's as pretty as it should be.
    Brick to drain, brick to drain, brick to drain.......

My Devices
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djb5f1 View Post
    Aha, that explains it. Wondering why it was not up yet in-game or on the PlayStation store.
    Boooo!
    It's all good.

My Devices
    Andriod, PS3, PS4.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can always create a Euro psn account to demo the tables for now...

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosebox View Post
    Monsters Bash seems really taxing on my system. I'm usually able to get around 100fps on tables, but monsters stays in the 60's.

So either the table isn't optimized well compared to others, or the additional animated characters on the table take a toll on overall performance.
    This is something I have mentioned to the devs but unfortunately there hasn't been enough time to improve performance before release. I find it especially noticable in portrait/cabinet view.

It seems to be caused by the complex geometry of the character models.

There is a big dip in fps when the flypast camera reaches the top/left corner of the table during the table intro.

A bit more optimization of the character model LODs would probably help but they do look great!
    Last edited by kimkom; 10-30-2019 at 07:27 AM.

My Devices
    Steam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosebox View Post

Just had a look on my main PC and I'm getting 180fps for Monster Bash; for comparison Medieval Madness is 280fps and Wild West Rampage is 240fps. All a moot point as my main monitor is 144Hz (secondary one is 60Hz, haven't tried running Monster Bash with both on yet). Haven't tried it on my laptop, but that is limited to 60fps anyway.

My Devices
    Xbox 360, Samsung s8, gear VR, PC, OUYA, PS4 Pro
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although extra animated models would definitively require a little more power it's pretty hard to imagine just 5 or 6 extra animated things slowing things down that much. Especially when you think about how many animated things are going off at the same time on games like GTA or Red Dead or pretty much every modern game that has to constantly think of over 100 things all moving at once. I bet it something like lighting or reflections doing it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast