Williams Pinball Universal Monsters™ Pack on October 29!

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019
I doubt that they'll ever change Pinball FX3's age rating on the consoles as they have been targeting the game as family fun from the get-go.

This what strikes me as strange and rather stupid about our culture nowadays. These original tables with their original racy graphics and sounds were in thousands of arcades, amusement parks, miniature golf courses etc. with little kids playing them...no problem. Now all of a sudden it’s a problem. :mad:

One of the first pinballs I ever played was at at a miniature golf arcade. It was...wait for it.....Playboy of all things. And I was underage, and there was no brown wrapper around it or seperate room for it. LOL

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Real pinball machines weren't ESRB rated and social media wasn't around to tell everyone what to be mad about, so outrage over little Timmys being corrupted by pinball was relegated to isolated incidents of soccer moms noticing something that offended them, which probably didn't happen often because most parents aren't going to pay much attention to their kid playing a pinball machine (although I'm sure some little Timmys did get in trouble for playing Playboy).

That said, I also think some of you are confusing "people having a problem now" with "staying within the confines of the ESRB ratings."

People largely don't give any more of a damn now than they did in the 80s and 90s. But again, the tables weren't being submitted for ratings then. Zen picked a rating they want to stay within for FX3, and unfortunately it's lower than how the ESRB sees the original, unmodified versions of these tables.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2013
Why doesn't Zen just recreate a mature table and resubmit for an M rating with the ESRB? This is where combining these recreations with the original stuff becomes a problem. Disney and the like don't want to be associated with that so it won't happen. That's why we need a separate game.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
M would be unnecessary. T would cover them. And they probably don't want to do it because it's a pain in the ass to resubmit to the ESRB, and then they'd also have to do the work of splitting one game into two for Steam, Switch, PS4 and XBO, and they'd STILL be dealing with Disney when it comes time to ask for, you know, Indiana Jones.

They should have made Williams Pinball separate to begin with. But, you know, hindsight and all. If you had asked me a year ago if I wanted a separate app, I'd have said no, not knowing what we do now.

I don't think Disney is actually even holding them back from the T rating, to be honest. Disney is a convenient scapegoat and I do know Disney is nuts about FAMILY FRIENDLY ONLY (syt has shared personal industry experience on this), but keep in mind that the mobile version is rated T. If they were afraid of pissing Disney off with a T rating, they wouldn't have let that happen.

Last edited:

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
This what strikes me as strange and rather stupid about our culture nowadays. These original tables with their original racy graphics and sounds were in thousands of arcades, amusement parks, miniature golf courses etc. with little kids playing them...no problem. Now all of a sudden it’s a problem. :mad:

Depends where you were I suppose. Grew up in Pearl City, HI late 70’s, early 80’s, and the arcades I can remember with pinball almost always had them separated in a different area/room, usually the darkened one with lifted smoking restrictions. Pinball was mostly looked at as a more teenage/adult thing and separated from the more brightly lit family sections with the arcade games and skeeball. Main reason I never really started playing pinball until college.

skyway73

Feb 16, 2015
I feel a bit out of touch asking but am I right in thinking there are new physics in the 2 tables released Tuesday? Or is it that they will have the same physics as the last pack?
Thanks

Oct 15, 2013
I have heard from somewhere that the flipper physics were tweaked for this new release. So after this release there will be three different physics versions: the "basic" physics for Volumes 1-3 then the first version of the flipper physics for Volume 4 and finally Version 2.0 of the flipper physics for this Universal release.

Oct 15, 2013
At some point it would be nice if the same physics were applied to all the tables but then we run into the leaderboard death threat issue and of course the cost to Zen for diminishing returns. Let's be honest, the majority of their sales are going to come upon release. Sure there will be some more with a sale but does it really pay off for Zen to apply the new physics to all the tables and even put in missing stuff (like songs) after the sale? Probably not. I guess we just have to take what we can get and be happy. That is until the 4K re-remasters come out!;)

Oct 15, 2013
BTW, I'm really enjoying Zen's remake of Theater of Magic. I don't think I played Farsight's version that much but Zen's version is really drawing me in. I just keep going back to that table on Arcade physics. I think the only Zen table that I've beaten the wizard mode on is Party Zone. I've only beaten a couple of Farsight's tables too. Pinball is hard.:p

TFHFony

Mar 9, 2017
Why doesn't Zen just recreate a mature table and resubmit for an M rating with the ESRB? This is where combining these recreations with the original stuff becomes a problem. Disney and the like don't want to be associated with that so it won't happen. That's why we need a separate game.

Disney shouldn't be an issue, or they wouldn't have been able to allow switching off the family mode on Steam either.
For me... I'm actually done with the censorship and the fact is not doing anything to solve this issue. I've decided that Williams Pack 4 was the last set of ZEN tables I have bought (And I bought all available tables on WiiU and on PS4). Unless ZEN gets their ass moving and find a solution for this issue.

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
BTW, I'm really enjoying Zen's remake of Theater of Magic. I don't think I played Farsight's version that much but Zen's version is really drawing me in. I just keep going back to that table on Arcade physics. I think the only Zen table that I've beaten the wizard mode on is Party Zone. I've only beaten a couple of Farsight's tables too. Pinball is hard.:p

I love ToM. It actually has a more approachable wizard mode compared to something like Medieval Madness in that you only have to start the illusions and not complete them to progress. You have to get Midnight Madness, spell Theatre, and start the multi-ball as well, but you can do two of those, increase your multiplier for big scores, get extra balls (3x Vanish, Advance Clock to 6pm) just by focussing on the left orbit. Advancing the clock towards Midnight Madness is faster, but more risky, if you shoot the right orbit, but the ball often counts toward advancing the clock if you shoot the left orbit.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Disney shouldn't be an issue, or they wouldn't have been able to allow switching off the family mode on Steam either.

Why? The issue is that, supposedly, Disney (or other licencors) don't want their properties on a platform with an ESRB rating higher that E10+. Suggestive themes, alchohol and tobacco use, gambling and "crude humor" all require a T rating. Of the platforms you mentioned, Steam is the only one that doesn't require an ESRB rating (and indeed FX3 doesn't have one on the Steam store).

Regardless of how well Williams may or may not be doing for them, take a look at a list of Zen's tables, and see how much of their output would vanish if Disney pulled the licence. The issue is more with the ESRB itself, and I can completely understand how Zen feels trapped by the situation. Disney may not be dictating what Zen needs to do to their Williams tables, but they are playing it safe because they don't want to find out after the fact something is a problem.

Edit: I don't bother with Williams on mobile due to the inability to just purchase tables, but just looked it up and it is interesting that they have a separate app there for Williams that at least on ios is rated 17+. I assume the reason they haven't spun off a separate app on consoles is costs or other issues that come with multiple submissions. If this does get solved for consoles, I think that's the only way it's going to happen.

Last edited:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I feel a bit out of touch asking but am I right in thinking there are new physics in the 2 tables released Tuesday? Or is it that they will have the same physics as the last pack?
Thanks

The physics in Williams pack 4 are the new physics, and the same physics will be in the Universal Monsters pack. What isn't happening yet is that Williams packs 1-3 aren't getting the new physics yet (although should do sometime).

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
The physics in Williams pack 4 are the new physics, and the same physics will be in the Universal Monsters pack. What isn't happening yet is that Williams packs 1-3 aren't getting the new physics yet (although should do sometime).

That is true, but Deep has also refined the physics more on Volume 5 along with attempt to give the ball more of a weighted feel. They took Spacies Arcade's Marble physics demonstration and critique to heart (even mentioned it during their table showcase stream last Thursday).

It looks great if you look at Pinballwiz45b's Twitch stream playing the tables (also last thursday) and I can't wait to play it!

Last edited:

skyway73

Feb 16, 2015

wolfson

May 24, 2013
loving them , Zen just keep the high standard , well done . only table I would love sometime next year which is an Olympic year , is TAXI PLEASE :cool:

djb5f1

Nov 15, 2016
Really hoping Zen goes back to releasing their own original tables. Those remain my favorites. Hopefully a tie-in with the new Star Wars movie.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the classic Williams tables too but I already own them on TPA. I do prefer Zen’s physics (ball is too floaty on TPA) and the ability to do the challenges and unlock mastery pictures.

I agree Taxi would be a good choice if they continue down this path of re-releasing TPA tables.

suffocater

Apr 4, 2015
I have forgotten what a pixelmess this game is with maxed out graphics option on 1080x1920. Especially the flippers seem not to care about antialiasing. Is there a way to downsample from 4k?

On the pack itself: Physics mean nothing, I still don't like Cftbl. Monster Bash is still one of my favourites.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
Public Service Announcement:
Due to an unfortunate technical error, PS4 US will release November 5. We are very sorry about this, usually we work very hard to release all platforms on the same day.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.