Arcade1up Pinball?

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
aw man i think i checked everything other than what company was putting it out just assuming it's 1up, my bad. i'm gonna track back and go with my original theory that it's 720p. it will definitely be an uncased monitor like this one though controlled by a mipi interface board, if anyone plans to mod this you will not be able to just plug hdmi/vga into it, you will either need to get a compatible mipi board with hdmi in or most likely scrap the monitor and put a different one in.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
I don't understand the lack of marketing here. If it is a Farsight product why not promote it. Having a video on your youtube but not actually mentioning it anywhere else or in a press release is kind of wierd. Unless of course they know its not a very good product, which remains to be seen. Personally seems a bit overpriced, but the idea is cool.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
What do you mean? The video is on FarSight's YT channel. Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying here?

Good.

#freegottlieb
Thanks for filling in the gaps mate. It's sloppy seconds physical pinball. Just imagine what Arcooda must be thinking about this development.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I don't understand the lack of marketing here. If it is a Farsight product why not promote it. Having a video on your youtube but not actually mentioning it anywhere else or in a press release is kind of wierd. Unless of course they know its not a very good product, which remains to be seen. Personally seems a bit overpriced, but the idea is cool.
I think keeping it on the down-low is probably to do with it is a contract manufacturing gig for them a little bit like Stern pinball was a contract manufacturing gig.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
aw man what, arcooda never put the cabs out?!! i was so close to buying it and actually felt disapointed i didnt. they made people jump on and throw money with the feeling it was the only chance and seriously flopped on it? ...what crap. anyways check this sweet puppy out, it is a functional working mini pin not just decoration but its not very complex or good lol. american girl doll scale.
https://www.americangirl.com/shop/p...logrcb__pUGK5SRq_nNi6vlI7N60oPgAaAv8uEALw_wcB

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
This would be a decent pinball cab at the price if it included the following:
* Second Monitor for the Backboard. (Would not need a DMD. The Second monitor could provide a combined DMD/Backboard combo and/or simulated reel scoring as required.)
* At least an option for LED flashers and/or LED under cabinet strip lighting.

Perhaps they'll get there after the initial run. (Maybe a "Pro" model for $600?)

Me -- I'm sticking with my VPCabs Vertigo. It's still doing everything I need!

(I guess this means we're never getting a FarSight version of "Spirit of '76" -- *sigh*)

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
You're looking at this company: https://primearcades.com/

Keep in mind, they're not the same as to what Farsight or Zen are releasing.

Farsight's got the mini-cab and Arcooda. Zen's got Pinball FX2 CE and an unnamed cabinet that offers ticket redemption.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Just out of curiosity, what would you boys say is the cheapest pin cab that is actually worth owning? It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at what’s out there.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Just out of curiosity, what would you boys say is the cheapest pin cab that is actually worth owning? It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at what’s out there.

For someone who's been building their machine for the past year+ (and al....most done) if I had to do something as cheap as possible I'd skip the cabinet and go with something that just uses a vertical monitor or 2 monitors. Maybe even a PC set up with a rotating monitor mount for the playfield and a fixed second monitor mounted above it. And then use an arcade stick with side buttons for controls and make it a multi use setup. Once you start with the full machine it's a slippery slope to perfection and you'll have to make a compromise on just about any of the prebuilt systems out there. There's just so many individual choices to make with parts that I wouldn't even use cheap in the discussion. I started with a virtuapin flat pack mini shell and thought i could build my own for less than their mini system at $3K. Well, that budget got blown out of the water quickly and while some of my components are slightly better (4k, 16:10 backglass, different plunger system, SSF) than the off the rack system, I don't know if the labor I had to put into it with assembly and paint and wiring is worth the extra that I've spent and the amount of time I had to spend on it.

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
Looks nice, but is it just me or did the ball look like it was moving in slow motion? The tables run much faster than that on my PS4 Pro.

Nice touch having the score on the backbox. And yeah, those are quite obviously the Farsight re-creations.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
looks really cute i wish it met my kind of specs, kind of makes me wish zen will put out one in the future with a 1600p or higher awesome resolutuon screen and a real smaller scale dmd. in medival madness or attack from mars.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
For someone who's been building their machine for the past year+ (and al....most done) if I had to do something as cheap as possible I'd skip the cabinet and go with something that just uses a vertical monitor or 2 monitors. Maybe even a PC set up with a rotating monitor mount for the playfield and a fixed second monitor mounted above it. And then use an arcade stick with side buttons for controls and make it a multi use setup. Once you start with the full machine it's a slippery slope to perfection and you'll have to make a compromise on just about any of the prebuilt systems out there. There's just so many individual choices to make with parts that I wouldn't even use cheap in the discussion. I started with a virtuapin flat pack mini shell and thought i could build my own for less than their mini system at $3K. Well, that budget got blown out of the water quickly and while some of my components are slightly better (4k, 16:10 backglass, different plunger system, SSF) than the off the rack system, I don't know if the labor I had to put into it with assembly and paint and wiring is worth the extra that I've spent and the amount of time I had to spend on it.

I really appreciate your reply. It’s great to get insight from someone who’s knee deep in the process as I’m always tempted to go full-on cab. I have a non-cab setup similar to what you described, so perhaps I should just be content with that. Eventually I’d like to maybe build a frame for the monitors and hide the PC away underneath or behind as a more official bartop setup of sorts.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
I really appreciate your reply. It’s great to get insight from someone who’s knee deep in the process as I’m always tempted to go full-on cab. I have a non-cab setup similar to what you described, so perhaps I should just be content with that. Eventually I’d like to maybe build a frame for the monitors and hide the PC away underneath or behind as a more official bartop setup of sorts.

Another option is the VR route. Unfortunately it's stalled as SPA is unlikely to see any updates and who knows how long it will take for Zen to take FX3/Williams to a VR platform. But from just what's been produced so far (SPA/Zaccaria/FX2) has convinced me that's the way I'd rather go than the pincab route. It's full 3D with depth to it making it a lot easier to get a feel for the table (you can even put your head right on the playfield if you want), and likely much cheaper than going for a pincab. Though you need a beefy PC setup in addition to the VR headset just to get going. It has other problems as well, it's not a very social option for multiple people to play pinball around for one. And I can't say I'd recommend going VR for just pinball right now with what's currently available. But it's a consideration to keep in mind going down the road.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
With the next Half-Life game on VR (only) next year, I expect that will be the test to see if it triggers wider general adoption of the hardware.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.