Arcade1up Pinball?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
For someone who's been building their machine for the past year+ (and al....most done) if I had to do something as cheap as possible I'd skip the cabinet and go with something that just uses a vertical monitor or 2 monitors. Maybe even a PC set up with a rotating monitor mount for the playfield and a fixed second monitor mounted above it. And then use an arcade stick with side buttons for controls and make it a multi use setup. Once you start with the full machine it's a slippery slope to perfection and you'll have to make a compromise on just about any of the prebuilt systems out there. There's just so many individual choices to make with parts that I wouldn't even use cheap in the discussion. I started with a virtuapin flat pack mini shell and thought i could build my own for less than their mini system at $3K. Well, that budget got blown out of the water quickly and while some of my components are slightly better (4k, 16:10 backglass, different plunger system, SSF) than the off the rack system, I don't know if the labor I had to put into it with assembly and paint and wiring is worth the extra that I've spent and the amount of time I had to spend on it.
That's a telling insight into just how hard it is to get the build right. Sounds like there is a lot of rabbit hole potential.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Delivery dates are pushing out on this. Looks like December 20th now, at the earliest. I think the biggest issue will be the size. The back of the table is less than six feet. Adults will be hunching over to play some of TPA's lesser inspired Gottlieb offerings. I have no idea why they could shove every Gottlieb title onto it.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
That's a telling insight into just how hard it is to get the build right. Sounds like there is a lot of rabbit hole potential.

so..sooooo..soooooooo much rabbit hole. Everything is a new challenge to solve. Little stupid stuff takes forever. Like finding the right screw size for each thing, Or finding a place to get custom tempered glass, or a custom steel bar for the monitor mount. My favorite so far was paint. I thought I bought enough paint, but didn't, and when I went back to Lowe's 4 weeks later to restock, it happened to be right after they did a display change on the spray paint section, and the Krylon Automotive acrylic enamel I had decided on after testing several samples, and have now used for half the cabinet is no longer stocked in any of their stores. And the Rustoleum stuff they replaced it with is terrible and takes 3 times as much to look half as good.

It's a mini cab too. Which when I first built it, I thought, "oh there's tons of room in there". Then when I started running cables, I realized this is truly a "putting 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag" situation. I remember when I was first planning it, I wanted to put solenoids in there. hahahahahahaha. Thankfully I didn't buy them first. So many mistakes. You have to enjoy the journey on this stuff because if you don't you'll spend a bunch of money on something that will never be playable.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
i want to get a 5.5 inch 1080p field monitor and a 4:3 2.5 inch hdmi in pi monitor and make the tiniest virtual cab ever. of course no computer will fit inside so it's just gonna have hdmi in's, power in's, and usb/controller out on the back of it.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
A YouTube video is up on the innards of the cab. They guy said it might very well be possible to get an adapter to hook up a DVI to the display and use another source for the video. Of course, DVI means no audio and that if you used another input source, you'd need to wire the speakers for the sound. So it seems like mod'ing this will likely just be a waste of time and one should just start from scratch.

Otherwise, it seems like a decent cab with good to awful tables that is sized for a child and has an unknown lifespan.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
yeah like i was saying before, they got one of those mipi monitors inside all the 1up stuff and this one also uses the same kind of deal so to use the monitor with anything else you need a compatible mipi driver board with inputs to plug into.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
oh man that reminds me, there was this guy on here about a month ago claiming to have made a mini cab he was getting ready to do a kickstarter for. it was his 1st and only post on here. anyways he claimed to have invented his own android computing device that would be in it. and i really wanted to go off about how that is not even possible and that no pinball games on android run in any sort of cabinet mode and no android device can have multiple monitors because google never programmed that into the OS. and that his price point didnt make realistic sence. but instead i just went on for a very long time about how he should present it if he wants a sucessful fund raiser and that he needs to actually show it running. i wasnt sure if he was just a fellow pinhead being crazy hopful with a bit of dreaming or if he was a scam artist looking to shceme crowd loot.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Do people get to the stage with pincabs of adding a topper? I played Whirlwind today, when you aren't looking up that must be one of the most noticeable ones; Congo was next to it and that had some lights on it but I've no idea what they were doing.

AcadDude

Jul 8, 2018
Do people get to the stage with pincabs of adding a topper? I played Whirlwind today, when you aren't looking up that must be one of the most noticeable ones; Congo was next to it and that had some lights on it but I've no idea what they were doing.

Yes they do. I wonder if it could be made into a hologram to switch between game titles?

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
toppers are cool, my friend mike has a flinstones and he just put a box of fruity pebbles up their but it looks awesome. the new special deluxe medival madness that just released (not the orginal remake, the new remake from just now) has the most awesome topper ive ever seen. man i want one of those its got new crazy lighting options and full color higher rez dmd. anyways back to that american girl table... its made of wood and metal, looks way better than this farsight thing, less than half the price at 150, a bit smaller but you could definitly take this apart and make it a virtual cab if you got the right size monitors. a video finally came out of it in action and it actually looks really cool.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Yes they do. I wonder if it could be made into a hologram to switch between game titles?

Pinup popper is a front end that has support for several screens. People do cabs with DMD’s and then a separate “topper” screen or monitor area that dynamical changes or plays video or Jersey jack style scoring or
whatever you want. While not on top like Whirlwind’s or others it’s the same type of thing but on steroids I n the Backbox. Mine will have a Kinect up there on top. :).

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
It was pretty obvious it was theirs when they added the video for it to their YouTube channel like a month ago.

I'm more shocked that there's still a Pinball Arcade newsletter.

Zappa

Nov 15, 2013
Two things that ruin this for me, latency...and Gottleib.

No thanks. Fix it and run good tables, and make it patchable and upgradable...eh...

Someone will come out with a better one.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Two things that ruin this for me, latency...and Gottleib.

No thanks. Fix it and run good tables, and make it patchable and upgradable...eh...

Someone will come out with a better one.
I can survive Gottleib tables... but it needs to be good ones, the older ones. Clearly they are milking the cow with this product with no intention of any new tables.

I did read there is latency issues with the flippers, which is pretty much a pretty bad thing.

tandigab

Feb 15, 2018
I've subscribed to the newsletter from several email addresses, but never ever received a newsletter to any address.

Members online

Members online