Williams' Collection Volume 6 guesses

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
the 8 years thing was just a made up example since TPA was released 8 years ago... but wow if those licences were only 2 years they must have repaid some of those several times over. maybe one of the reasons they couldn't afford to grab more things? These people are all ready to bring out the torches when things start taking too long, another month without any news and it will be a full on riot zone in here ha. I don't feel Zen owes me anything but I still have a love hate thing for them, i mean they did come in and derail TPA and at the time I was full on angry at them, but now im like oh they do a great job I forgive them. while i do not feel they owe me I still would not be very happy if they stopped here, it would feel like oh wait what if TPA kept going and gave us allot more stuff, was it really worth the 18 better made tables we already had? but for all we know they were ending anyway. Shuryertrap seems way too chill right now, i bet he is playing the indiana jones beta lol

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
the 8 years thing was just a made up example since TPA was released 8 years ago... but wow if those licences were only 2 years they must have repaid some of those several times over. maybe one of the reasons they couldn't afford to grab more things? These people are all ready to bring out the torches when things start taking too long, another month without any news and it will be a full on riot zone in here ha. I don't feel Zen owes me anything but I still have a love hate thing for them, i mean they did come in and derail TPA and at the time I was full on angry at them, but now im like oh they do a great job I forgive them. while i do not feel they owe me I still would not be very happy if they stopped here, it would feel like oh wait what if TPA kept going and gave us allot more stuff, was it really worth the 18 better made tables we already had? but for all we know they were ending anyway. Shuryertrap seems way too chill right now, i bet he is playing the indiana jones beta lol

I don't think that's how licensing works. Once you pay the initial fee (actors, images, IP, sounds) which indeed can be large, the renewal fee would be significantly less. Essentially you are agreeing on terms of the contract, seeing if any revenue sharing needs to be adjusted, etc. It allows both parties to make sure the initial terms are still beneficial to both, and to make sure that the company licensing from the IP holder isn't acting in bad faith or harming the brand. In FarSight's case, the loss of the Williams license (Scientific Games sought out a new partner for presumably a higher fee) means it makes no sense for them to pay or renew licenses for anything other than Doctor Who, which they can still sell with their version of the table. Were they locked into a long contract, they'd be the one's getting screwed by continuing to pay for something they could no longer even sell.

And again, Zen did not do the derailing of TPA. They were actually contacted a few years prior to see if they had interest in taking over the license, but at that time Zen had other commitments. When FarSight's contract came back up, Zen was approached again, and this time they were ready for it. A while back I wrote a whole article about this, it's worth taking a look at as much of what I wrote has since been confirmed. https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/guest-post-speculation-on-what-happened-with-the-williams-bally-digital-license/

I said this before, Zen is not stopping with these 18 tables. Those of us that were into Zen prior to WMS know they often went long stretches with no releases, but by the end of the year always seemed to hit a target number. Video game development comes with all sorts of hiccups, and who knows what has caused this latest. Meanwhile had FarSight kept the license, I doubt we'd have seen any more licensed tables as they simply no longer wanted to pay big money for them. That would have left making a lot of pre DMD era stuff (not a bad thing at all!) that unfortunately didn't sell as well as DMD stuff. I had heard rumor from various persons that FarSight was close to calling it a day simply because the back catalog was generating revenue continually and the new stuff wasn't really justifying the cost of recreating. 100 tables is a solid number to go out with. More to the point, they gave up on making Gottlieb machines even though what we all really wanted was the EM stuff, not the hideous Premiere tables, and they could easily have gotten the Capcom license but never seemed to really want to go there.

As for why I'm so chill? No, it's not because of any beta. It's that while I'm mostly in the dark about what's to come, I know when it does I'll be excited all over again, whatever it is. Zen said this next year is going to be wild, more so than last, and that has me all kinds of bring it on. Plus all this extra time has allowed me to max out the 5 new tables in the mobile app without stressing, so I'm good to go with getting anxious once more!

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
"mostly in the dark about what's to come" ...so you ARE playing a beta of The Shadow right now, i knew it!!! :D that's a joke, love you man, love all you guys, PINBALL!!!!

Last edited:

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
He's playing a beta of their new original table, NBA's Barkley, Shut Up and Fast Break!: Gaiden.

ha nice, i'd probably pay money for that. not even a sports guy but Barkley was awesome that time he hosted SNL back in the Chris Farley days, which is why i always pick him when playing nba jam

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
On Pinball FX3's Facebook Page, Zen responded to a post regarding new tables.

Poster: Any word on new tables?

Pinball FX3: We're going to have an update later today on that topic, stay tuned! :)

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
On Pinball FX3's Facebook Page, Zen responded to a post regarding new tables.

Poster: Any word on new tables?

Pinball FX3: We're going to have an update later today on that topic, stay tuned! :)

yay!!!! thanks for the heads up you just made my day. wow pinball league at the pit tonight annnnd an announcement on zen tables, i dont think my day could get any better! Cambridge ey, howdy neighbor. are you in the New England Pinball League? have i played with you lol? if your not come join, it's my favorite thing on earth so I wanna spread the word as much as possible. crossing my fingers on Indiana Jones or The Shadow, but would also be super excited if its some pre-dmd tables so we can see whats up with those. hope it's not zen originals.

hunted down and copy pasted the FB post Buckeye found if anyone wants to see that

GJ
Hopeful to see a new pack of pinball machines SOON!
***** ESPECIALLY SOME WE DON'T HAVE ON TPA? *****
PRETTY PLEASE!!!
Love the job you've done thus far! I own each Bally/Williams pack on ps4 & mobile, and many of your pinball fx2 & 3 packs on both ps3 & ps4 as well as mobile. So I'm a longtime supporter for sure who buys new and used pinball machines also. The virtual pinball platform has helped me get my wife & kids into physical pinball as well! Keep up the hard work!

Zen Studios
Hey there! Thanks for being so enthusiastic about our game, it really means a lot to us.
We're going to do a little update later today on how things are going on our turf lately, so stay tuned! :)

Last edited:

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
yay!!!! thanks for the heads up you just made my day. wow pinball league at the pit tonight annnnd an announcement on zen tables, i dont think my day could get any better! Cambridge ey, howdy neighbor. are you in the New England Pinball League? have i played with you lol? if your not come join, it's my favorite thing on earth so I wanna spread the word as much as possible. crossing my fingers on Indiana Jones or The Shadow, but would also be super excited if its some pre-dmd tables so we can see whats up with those. hope it's not zen originals.

Hi Pete,
I am not in the New England Pinball League but would love to join. I take it there is a website with information on joining. In the last 30 years I have only played real life pinball once at NE Pintastic 2 or 3 years ago. I always mean to get over to Flat Top Johnny's to play some but I never do. I am hoping for pre-dmd tables myself. Not into Zen originals so that would be a disappointment. If they implement the Williams' physics on them though, then I will be somewhat excited.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
Hi Pete,
I am not in the New England Pinball League but would love to join. I take it there is a website with information on joining. In the last 30 years I have only played real life pinball once at NE Pintastic 2 or 3 years ago. I always mean to get over to Flat Top Johnny's to play some but I never do. I am hoping for pre-dmd tables myself. Not into Zen originals so that would be a disappointment. If they implement the Williams' physics on them though, then I will be somewhat excited.

all the info is on nepl.org the rules section will explain it all. tonight is the last meet of the season but they do 3 seasons a year and the next one starts the first week of May. they have many locations and you can pick anyone you want and even mix and match locations each week. All kinds of people from young to old and all skill levels welcome. Flat Top Johnny's is one of the locations. great bunch of people, everyone is really nice, you will love it. I go to The Wicked Pissa Pinball Pit in Wakefield, it's Chuck's actual house so only open on league nights, but he has a bunch of pre-dmd stuff- Disco Fever, Nugent, Heavy Metal Meltdown, 8-Ball Deluxe, BMX, Star Trek bally, Star Trek DE, spider-man gottleib, wizard, and a bunch of dmd/lcd tables too

Last edited:

gnadenlos

Feb 3, 2020
Zen Studios
Hey there! Thanks for being so enthusiastic about our game, it really means a lot to us.
We're going to do a little update later today on how things are going on our turf lately, so stay tuned! :)
Any news? Nothing was posted on Facebook, Youtube or Twitter yesterday.

gnadenlos

Feb 3, 2020
What do you expect, if an official account announces a "little update" for "later today" and nothing happens? Of course that is stupid and will disappoint customers.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
maybe the facebook guy from zen got a little happy and spoke slightly too soon, hopfully we hear something today. fingers crossed. sending out some positive vibes to the universe, yama yama indy yama yama ana jones yama yama give us indy ooom ooom. pleeeeaaaase ooom.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Think all the official announcements of Williams table packs have been on a Tuesday, so Friday (or Saturday) would be a break from that pattern.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
wilbers , spot on , I`ve been with Zen from day 1 , they will announce on there site and usually 2 weeks later the tables are out . also sign up to Zen and they send emails to you . now back to the Chelsea match , waiting for Liverpool , there getting closer !!!:cool:

Members online

Members online