Williams on Android - ramps and nudging

eckless

Sep 11, 2012
Two questions...(on a Pixel 4XL in case it helps)

1. Is it just me or is it difficult to hit a lot of the ramps in Williams pinball? The left ramp in Roadshow, the ramp in TOTAN...they aren't that hard in real life. But in TOTAN for example, most of my shots up the ramp tucker out and go through one of the "bail-out holes". Is there a setting I'm missing?
2. Does gyroscopic nudging work? I've turned on gyroscopic nudging and basically shake my phone repeatedly, and nothing happens. Am I missing what "gyroscopic nudging" is?

Thank you!
Eckless

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
No it's not just you, several of the Williams tables exhibit this unusual behaviour (Android/PC). Presumably those ramps and rails have been assigned a friction value, if the ball speed is not of greater value it changes direction. This window of opportunity seems to be fairly narrow so the ball ends up being returned an alarming number of times and the illusion breaks down.

Monster Bash is a great example where shots to the left ramp are returned a ridiculous number of times compared to the right ramp, whereas it's the opposite way round on Medieval Madness. Presumably this obstacle can be overcome if you're able to work out the sweet spot on the flipper and adjust your timing, though I'd argue it feels rather artificial at the moment (i.e. ball speed appears more than sufficient, yet fails).

Kerguelan

Jul 12, 2016
Someone was arguing before that it might be an overdone ballspin mechanic that's causing this, where the spin of the ball from the roll down the flipper on the opposite side to the ramp entrance, was contrary to the direction of the ball's travel around the wall of the ramp once it starts to turn a corner, so the ball doesn't reach the peak of the climb correctly. The Damsel ramp in MM is easier to complete from a normal flip at the last stage when the ball goes straight up the ramp into the tower, instead of being routed around the corner.

In support of this theory, I've seen some fairly unlikely backflips from the flipper on the same side as the ramp entrance go all the way up same ramp much more convincingly than when shot from the opposite flipper, on both MM and MB, although I've yet to see this on TOTAN.

PS. Although I mostly play on iOS.

Last edited:

eckless

Sep 11, 2012
Thank you, all!

Following up on my own post, it looks like there is "gyroscopic nudging" but only if you hold your device at the bottom and shake the top of your device up and down (like you're using a baking sheet to cool something). I was looking for a "side to side" nudge.

MBeeching

Oct 4, 2018
Someone was arguing before that it might be an overdone ballspin mechanic that's causing this, where the spin of the ball from the roll down the flipper on the opposite side to the ramp entrance, was contrary to the direction of the ball's travel around the wall of the ramp once it starts to turn a corner, so the ball doesn't reach the peak of the climb correctly.

Yeah I made that call on the ball spin and it may still play some part in it - I believe I got a response from Zen saying they'd investigate. Wish there was a dev-tool we could access with numerical data as it would be possible to make clearer observations, perhaps as a beta/test function as you could gain a tactical advantage during general play.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.