Arcade1up Star Wars pinball

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Looks like these are still very much demo builds, based on that video. Probably why no hands on yet. I do hope they figure out that squished DMD though, as it's the wrong aspect ratio. Letterbox that stuff!! Still wanna know what they're gonna do for games with a plunger. Skill shots are a total afterthought if dealing with only a button.
I was wondering if the launch button hold would increase the power of plunging. Tap for a small plunge, hold for a full one.

MarkItZeroSmoky

May 26, 2013
In the vid dok555555 posted the rep said 10 tables included for each cab. Hope they allow us to purchase more tables to dload into it.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
This just hit me too...

Arcade 1UP is dealing with some heavy licensing here. They even have NBA Jam. By partnering with Zen, is it possible the licensing burden gets shared and makes it that much more economical to afford something like NBA Fastbreak?

NBA Jam was supposed to be released last year (it was at this show in 2019). However... licensing and multiplayer emulation issues.

They can't get all the players though. And there is stuff being shown today that is just "dream build" stuff, like the Donkey Kong arcade cabinet. This show is all about retail takeup, so many of the things being displayed may never see retail release and/or only get released around Christmas... meaning Walmart takes up the "licensing burden."

Last edited:

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
In the vid dok555555 posted the rep said 10 tables included for each cab. Hope they allow us to purchase more tables to dload into it.

Doubtful, this is an Arcade1Up product, which has wireless for highscores and possibly tournaments with other Arcade1Up cabinet owners. This is their model on all their other products, they make money from hardware, not software downloads, so they want you buy all of the different cabinets.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It is how FX3 already works so it was likely the easiest approach code wise. Cheaper engineering wise. It won’t bother me much as long as is reproducible.

I have a $12 IR sensor in my micro cab for my plunger. A physical plunger produced on a mass scale shouldn’t cost much. I get things have to be sacrificed to reach price point, but that’s why you bundle plunger only titles together and then eliminate the launch button. Once we get non DMD titles going, those will all require plungers. So I hope they address the issue, cuz Toy Shock clearly is trying.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
I have a $12 IR sensor in my micro cab for my plunger. A physical plunger produced on a mass scale shouldn’t cost much. I get things have to be sacrificed to reach price point, but that’s why you bundle plunger only titles together and then eliminate the launch button. Once we get non DMD titles going, those will all require plungers. So I hope they address the issue, cuz Toy Shock clearly is trying.

Since it's true to original cab I'm ok with no plunger, but that's also price point dependent. The 1up modding community is a big part of their success and I'm sure it wont be long before someone gets that working too. But 1up would rather you buy it first and like it so much that you buy the next one with the plunger too.

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
There are only a few tables where skill shots requiring an accurate plunge actually make a difference to your gameplay and score i.e. White Water, and Road Show. Most of the other tables it is actually not an issue so I'll be happy if they have a plunger button using Zen's hold button approach. Certainly makes playing TotAN's genie battle easier if you just have a button for a plunger ;-)

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
I am sitting here *Drooling* over that “Attack From Mars” cabinet!!!
It looks so good, I almost don’t care how well it plays! (And I’m sure they’ll fix the DMD aspect ratio.)

If it gets just halfway decent reviews, I’m buying it!!
It’ll look *sweet* sitting next to my “Vertigo”!

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
Some info from a live stream last night. The talk about the cabinet in the beginning and then again at 11m40. Looks like it might have a PC in it because it says Pinball FX3 on the box underneath a pending incensing approval sticker.

Some interesting feedback on display tricks to make it appear more 3D and then also the haptic feedback sounds amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBdHxbe2hKg

They talk about real nudge and tilt feel, so I wonder if Zen is going to redesign their tilt system away from the time based system they have now to a more realistic force based system?

Last edited:

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
It is not something that I look at a lot, but what surprised me about this offering is that they have licensed software from Zen studios on these cabinets. The question is if Zen has given them additional cabinet support other than what people currently have in the game. For instance, are they providing the back-glass images?

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
I genuinely hope cab features aren't locked to an arcade 1up unit. As a cab user asking for cab improvements for so long to get TPA'd again on a cabinet mode would be frustrating to say the least

AcadDude

Jul 8, 2018
that's probably how the plunger will work, but I hate that.

The Steam version plunger is set to how long you hold the button down.

A lot of one-thousand-one counts to get the timing close. most shots are less than a one-thousand-one count. Skill shots are a pain with button over plunger.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It is not something that I look at a lot, but what surprised me about this offering is that they have licensed software from Zen studios on these cabinets. The question is if Zen has given them additional cabinet support other than what people currently have in the game. For instance, are they providing the back-glass images?

I haven’t had time to watch all the videos, but isn’t the backglass static artwork to match the sides of the cabinet or is there actually a backglass monitor?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
If it’s PC powered, I’m certainly interested.

Just finished moving into a new house and my real pinball machine hasn’t made it past the garage yet because it’s so freaking huge. I love widebodies (in this case, an “extended” wide), but damn are they hard to move, and making space for it is turning out to be a bit of an issue so a mini cab would be much more ideal for the bedroom I’m converting imo my gaming room (had to give the wife the bigger room for her craft room heh).

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
I'm a little suprised they haven't released any official press for this yet. CES has been going on for a few days now, you'd think they'd want to promote it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.